Frugal Village Forums banner

1141 - 1160 of 1943 Posts

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
whew madhen what a terrible surprise, sorry about that.

flung a kitchen size bag o clothes and a few odds and ends onto the charity truck today

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,142 ·
Why shopping at Wal-Mart doesn't save you money

Flung two more things this morning: a blue plastic mixing bowl that was so old, bits of the rim were literally snapping off in my hands...

AND a glass coffee mug that I bought from Wal-mart less than a year ago. I bought three, in a moment of weakness, because they were thick glass and I liked the blue colour, and this is the SECOND one in less than a year that has broken. The first developed a chip on the rim. I wrote it off as me possibly banging it against something while washing it, although none of my other mugs are chipped and I don't exactly throw things around the sink. But this morning, I set the second mug on top of the coffee maker (flat surface), poured in the hot coffee, had about a micro-second to think "is that a crack on the rim" as the crack magically appeared, and then the whole mug literally fell apart like a lotus blossom opening, pouring its contents all over the coffee maker and the counter. I spent the next 5-10 minutes cleaning broken glass and coffee out of the coffee maker and the utensil drawer (which had been open at the time) and off the counter.

I have NEVER had a coffee mug do that, and never had glass do that, especially when going from room temp of about 75F to having coffee poured in it. I'm just glad it happened before I lifted the mug up, so the hot coffee ended up on the counter and not all over me!

Make that three flings. I'm tossing the last mug before I end up swallowing glass chips. And lesson learned re: Wal-Mart "quality."

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Close call madhen. I'm glad you weren't burned with the coffee. But how aggrevating to have all the clean up, when all you wanted was a cup of coffee. Hope it wasn't the first cup of the day. I know what I'm like before that first cup. Sorry about your fridge too.
When it rains it pours. And they say everything happens in threes-so watch out!
Anyway, I flung 6 things to Goodwill this morning. All kitchen gadgets that someone should have slapped me for buying in the first place. My how my attitude about "stuff" has changed.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,144 ·
Yes, it was my first cup of the day, so I was grumpy already. :) I'm glad I hadn't added the sugar and cream yet - THAT would have been fun to try to clean out of the coffee maker!!

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Okay, I gave a ton of stuff to my sister last week for garage sales, but I think I counted some of it already, so I am going to credit myself only 25 flings.

Also had to clean out the fridge/freezer today when it DIED on me, so about another 40 items flung from there. (It actually died a couple of days ago, but I don't use it daily, so I didn't notice until I opened the freezer door today and the smell hit me. :( ). Consolidated the bunnies' cages into one big cage, so three items flung there (two liners and an accessory).
That's horrible!!! Especially when you cleaned everything out last month as your challenge. I am so sorry. :hugz:

Reactions: madhen

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Sorry about your fridge, mh :hugz:

As for flinging...I got rid of a couple of tops that don't fit the kids any more. So I put them in the Goodwill bag. Hoping to clean out more today. :)

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Oh madhen! What a bummer! Hope you find a wonderful fridge for a really good deal...or that you can get yours fixed easily and afforably. Take care...

I haven't been flinging much these days. I'm still working at filling large garbage bags with the excess from my sewing room. So far I have two half full...okay, one is 3/4 full. I am almost finished sorting through all my fabric and projects. Talk about a job! it's taken 1 1/2 months so far. Mostly because I am easily distracted.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I gave away a book and tossed the 2nd toothpaste (nearly gone) that I took while traveling. I'm DEDUCTING 5 things from my total as I got more books and stuff while I was gone, sigh. When I do an actual count, I'll adjust my total down, if necessary...sigh.

Judi

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
So sorry about the coffee mug madhen! You were really lucky...I think you would have been more grumpy if it would have split on you! I am glad you threw out the other one too....hopefully that bad murphy has left your house.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Madhen, sorry about your bad experience!

I took 20 things to the dump today and sold 4, so I added 24 to my total. (Still not adjusted.)

Judi

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Sorry about your fridge. I can't imagine opening that door was an enjoyable experience :( I hope you get it straightened out soon.

I've been putting off this challenge because it seemed to daunting. Now I know I'm starting this challenge rather late but I really think I need to do this. Thanks for this challenge.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Sorry about your fridge. I can't imagine opening that door was an enjoyable experience :( I hope you get it straightened out soon.

I've been putting off this challenge because it seemed to daunting. Now I know I'm starting this challenge rather late but I really think I need to do this. Thanks for this challenge.
I really need to do this too; but like peanut said I get very easily distracted. I actually have been getting rid of things but have not kept up with the counting of them.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Come on Polly and Craftypam! You can do it!!!! :)

Reactions: pollypurebred39

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
I finally have a huge garbage bag of stuff out of my sewing room. I'm counting it as 100 items...which it is easily. I also tossed some plastics today. Tops missing containers, containers missing tops, broken tops/containers. Another 10 items.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Way to go peanut!!! :)

Reactions: peanut

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
If I could, I'd count the weeds I pulled today too! But they aren't in the house, so I guess they don't count. I was just in a flinging mood today.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Madhen, I'm so sorry about your stroke of bad luck this week!

I am going to have to try REALLY hard to maintain flinging. Maybe its just been a crazy week (and adjusting to a new schedule is always hard), but I haven't done ANYthing that I usually do this week. I'll have to be more disciplined.

I did fling about 4 weeks worth of newspaper today, to the recycling. We only get Sunday and Wednesday, so I'll count it as 8. :)

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
OMG madhen i think there is a fridge virus going around my fridge has decided to take a summer vacation and stop working, its getting a litte cold so i took everything we could salvage put it 8in a cooler and put the cooler in the fridge :(

fortunately i hadnt been stocking up so my total meat loss was only 2 LBs ground, 2 chicken patties and a pack of sausage, i also tossed the eggs and mayo to be safe. most of the rest is fresh (picked on saturday) veggies so they are ok and we are just eating them in a big ol salad

i also flung 1 sm garbage bag of misc leftover/so old it shouldnt have been there food

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I am so sorry about your fridge geckoace! I am glad you didn't lose too much! :)

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
geckoace: hope you get your fridge fixed or replaced soon...and affordably. You were blessed not to have a lot of expensive meat go bad. Good thing you caught it when you did!

1141 - 1160 of 1943 Posts