Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After hearing so much about the flooding out west and reading about it, I have been wondering what do I need to stockpile. Have any of you thought about what you might want to stockpile while it is now available and or the price goes up?

I need to really put some thought into this. I did think about buying some corn syrup, pancake syrup and canned corn. My family doesn't care for frozen corn.

Here are some quotes from an article I will post the link to.

Hardest hit is corn and soybeans from some of the country's top-producing states, Iowa, Illinois, Nebraska, Wisconsin and Minnesota. Both grains are at the foundation of the food pyramid, used extensively as primary ingredients and as livestock feed.

"It will be tighter suppliers for the next 15 months," said corn farmer Keith Bolin, of Manlius, Ill., who also is president of the American Corn Growers Association. "We'll have to ration crops till September 2009."

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/sto...9415D-72EC-4454-A17A-89ECDAD5675E}&siteid=rss

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I did buy some cornmeal. Will probably buy some more canned corn. Chicken and beef are supposed to go up. It just seems as if food and gas prices are just going to be really crazy for awhile.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am hoping chicken will be on sale soon with July 4th coming up. I like to buy when an item is on sale and combined with a coupon. Of course, something like chicken I can't do that, but I do with cereal, tea, paper products and such as that.

I had read somewhere that milk will also go up. I do keep some milk in the freezer but not much. Also soft drinks will go up in price because of the corn syrup in them.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
We have the milk, eggs and cheese covered. Ok, really dont want to think about it but chickens also.

I honestly dont know what people are going to do. Before long it will be: which do I buy-food, gas or medicine.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I really don't think its possible to stock enough to make a difference. IF we aren't being hit with a price hike one way , its another.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I agree I do think we will see some additional price
increases because of the floods in these states.

I just saw a new report where the American Red
Cross has run out of money for their Disaster
Relief Fund. The lady said at present they 30
disasters that need help and they have run out
of funds.

If you would like please make a donation.
It could be any of us in need. ;)

·
Registered
979 Posts
Wow - Red Cross out of $.

I donate when I can but right now it's all we can do to keep ourselves afloat.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I bought boneless skinless chicken breasts at Fred Meyer this weekend $1.59 a pound ($6.36 a bag) that's the cheapest I've seen in a while.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Even the fields that aren't flood are showing signs of stress. I live 7 miles from the Mississippi and last week we had 5-7inches of rain! (I thank God daily that we are high and dry). DH just called and said to stop by Aldi's tomorrow and do some more stocking up!!

So after work I'll be buying cornmeal, canned corn, syrup, etc. I was thinking of bringing in my shelves from the garage to put supplies in.

·
Spendthrift Guru aka KarlaBob
1,479 Posts
I think its a good idea to start/continue to stock as we don't know whats going to happen day to day with these prices.
Now sounds like a good time to get more corn products.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I've been thinking about 5 or 6 cans of corn [there's just me living here] and also pancake syrup [sugar free.]

I'm sure there's more I should be and will come back tomorrow and read some of your ideas.

Too tired tonight to do it - it's going on 3:00 a.m. and my cute little ticker thing on the top of the page is asking if I'm having trouble sleeping. Too cute, Sara! :lol:

Love,

Jen

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I bought boneless skinless chicken breasts at Fred Meyer this weekend $1.59 a pound ($6.36 a bag) that's the cheapest I've seen in a while.
That's an amazing price. I rarely see it for less than $3.49/lb here

I think all we can really do is keep an eye out for sales, use coupons when beneficial, and do as much from scratch cooking as possible.

It seems like lately everything is subject to price increases for one reason or another.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The news was talking about this last night and they even mentioned toothpaste going up because of the flooding of the corn fields. Who knew? I am going to have to read the label on the toothpaste and see what thats all about! They also said meat & dairy products because of the feed, any processed foods that used corn as a sweetner or additive, and soft drinks.

Not good, not good at all.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Wow, who knew all the things corn is used for. I already have a pretty well stocked pantry but dh and I have been discussing increasing what we have since everything just keeps going up in price.

·
Registered
645 Posts
petty I know but we are not out west. We are the middle of the country funny how we see things different depending where you live.

not just flooding seepage under the levee filling the fields with water and many farmers never even got the corn planted because of rain every week meant wet fields so many are planting soybeans if they can even do that now.

Drought for 3 years and now 5 inches more rain than normal in May that is alot of rain.

I think we will have to just live with it for a while eat less meat do without all the things with corn sweeteners in them We might actually lose weight and get healthy.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The news was talking about this last night and they even mentioned toothpaste going up because of the flooding of the corn fields. Who knew? I am going to have to read the label on the toothpaste and see what thats all about! They also said meat & dairy products because of the feed, any processed foods that used corn as a sweetner or additive, and soft drinks.

Not good, not good at all.
My goodness, what do they do - brush the animals that eat corn teeth or something? That's weird! Just glad I bought 15 tubes last week while they were 10/10.00! That should last us a while!

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
It's very depressing. Food was already rising in prices before the floods. I just purchased a sack of grain and I paid TWICE what I paid last year. I hate to think of it going higher.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts