Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an unopened bag of regular flour in my pantry. The date on it says October 2010. Still okay or should I toss it?

·
Registered
955 Posts
If it is just regular flour, I would personally still use it. You would know by smell if it had gone rancid. Whole wheat flour would be more likely to go rancid that regular. Long as it smells ok, I'd use it, but I'd try to use it up sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Palooka

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Personally, I store all flour (opened or unopened) in the fridge. I believe (I have no actual proof but this is what I think) that it will last beyond the date on the package if you do this. So if you want to give it a try, move it into your fridge now, it may help preserve it a bit. (All flour is sold at room temp, so it makes no difference that it wasn't in the fridge before - it may win you a few extra months.) Since I started doing that, I've never had my flour act weird or smell off (or worse, have little bugs appear in it!!!). I keep it in its original bag and then put that in a sealed Ziploc bag to keep out moisture. If you have it in a well-sealed jar, you could just stick the jar in the fridge.

Reactions: Palooka

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I have an unopened bag of regular flour in my pantry. The date on it says October 2010. Still okay or should I toss it?
Before I say this...........think I best send you a hug.....LOL

I absolutely LOVE your questions about date........but never trust my answers!! :laugh: (unless it is tomatoes or green beans ---I will use it!!)

Last fall I JUST FINISHED using up some flour that had an '08 date on it. Thought of you when I finally checked the date..........:laugh:

It won't 'poison' you...........things might not rise as well as they should. (I have never had flour go rancid---but guess it could if you kept it in a warm spot) Oil??? ---yes---and you don't forget that smell!! Flour?? ---no.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FF, I'm glad you are still alive. :laugh:

I'm just freaky when it comes to dates on food.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I had a bag of flour that was 6 months over date i opened it up and it had those little wee bugs in them. They were dead .They could have been in there when i bought it. This was a few years ago. Since then I buy 2 bags at a time. Put one in the freezer and one in the canister.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've never found bugs in my flour before. I store mine in a Rubbermaid container. I should probably put it in the freezer right when I buy it.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I've read that one should put flour in the freezer for 24 hours when you first get it home to zap any little bug eggs that might be inside. Whether it really works or not, I have no idea. I don't do it all that much myself and never get bugs (knock on wood).

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I have had the bugs (once, but ugh, so gross)... I like the idea of freezing for a few days and then being free to keep it out of the freezer or fridge. Since I do keep my flour in the fridge, I am limited in how much I can keep on hand. I am going to try the freezing for several days, adding a bay leaf, and storing in pantry method. Thanks ladies :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.