Frugal Village Forums banner

Flu!

Tags
flu
3K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  hollyhill 
#1 ·
We have been battling illness here forever (or so it seems). We are all taking our turns with it. My son has it right now.

Last week my 12 year old had it. It was her first big illness since she was diagnosed with diabetes this spring. It was very frightening. I almost had to take her into emergency because her sugars were swinging so highly between highs and lows and she ended up with large ketones and then I had to give more insulin and then she would crash.... it was terrifying. I barely left her side. I am so glad she is all over it now..

Anyways my son has been sick for nearly 5 days and I think he is finally getting over it too. He spent his down time writing a lot of music at least. He composes all kinds of stuff, songs, classical and he is now writing electronica too. He has a bunch of it on youtube.
Take a listen if you like...
and comment, sub or friend him... he would be thrilled to know you are listening...

http://www.youtube.com/user/DJ700D
I am partial to runaway dreams...

Anyways, hope that is the last of this flu in this house... hope you are all doing better and staying healthy!!!

See less See more
Reactions: mauimagic
#2 ·
HH - I was wondering where you were. Your daughter - and you - have really had a challenging year health wise - please take care!!

Reactions: hollyhill
#3 ·
Hollyhill I know how worried you were with your dd......... I'm diabetic and I'm afraid of getting sick........ My surgars go over 500 everytime.......... I hope everyone in your house starts to feel better and stays well.
Fern

#4 ·
my 2 little boys are diabetic and I'm trying to get them the h1n1 shot but its only available to healthcare workers in our area right now. My daughter came home from school 2 days ago and missed her halloween party yesterday, high fever, headache, and sore throat. Time to stock up on chicken soup and tylenol!
Take care!

#11 ·
Oh no,

Do you keep her away from your boys?
I go balistic when my older two come sick, trying to keep them isolated from my youngest diabetic daughter. And it doesn't work of course, by the time they show symptoms they have been shedding viruses for who knows how long.

This flu was our first "big" illness with my daughter since diagnosis, and it was terrifying. I barely was able to keep her out of Emergency.

I hope we don't have too many of those.

We did find a clinic that would give Em her flu shots yesterday. I have no idea if what she had was THE H1N1 because they aren't testing everyone because of the expense. But what drove me crazy was we had to go to a medical clinic and everyone inthere is SICK! Why in the world would they be doing innoculations for the vunerable where they will be exposed???
I had her sit in the car until it was her turn...
I feel like a hypochondriac, I never used to be like this.

Hope your little guys don't get it.

#6 ·
Please take care everyone. It would be interesting and helpful to map out the flu as it passes from one area to another.

#7 ·
Get better soon!

#8 ·
I kinda like the idea of mapping it. I bet it would prove to be the best traveler of the season. lol

My two boys had mild versions of it in the last week or 10 days. I am counting my blessings on that one.

As I sit here, I can hear my younger son coughing with his "asthma-allergy" cough. Whenever the seasons change, or he gets sick, it always ends with the annoying barking-type allergy cough. At least we have meds to help combat that cough, but mostly it just takes a few days to work it's way out of his system....we are on day two.

#9 ·
Wow I hope dd gets well soon! I hate when my bs goes all wonky b/c I'm not feeling well. And I hope the germs leave your house too, its not fun. Your son's music, I took a quick gander on the tube there - great stuff :) Not quite what I thought it would be - hardcore electronica. Was nice for ambient background music, I like! :)

I kinda like the idea of mapping it. I bet it would prove to be the best traveler of the season. lol

My two boys had mild versions of it in the last week or 10 days. I am counting my blessings on that one.

As I sit here, I can hear my younger son coughing with his "asthma-allergy" cough. Whenever the seasons change, or he gets sick, it always ends with the annoying barking-type allergy cough. At least we have meds to help combat that cough, but mostly it just takes a few days to work it's way out of his system....we are on day two.
Traci - I'm glad your lil'uns are getting better! :)

#10 ·
My family doesn't usually get these things that go around but not this time. I have been up all night with two sick girls, and I think I'm coming down with it.

I hope you family gets over it soon and it doesn't' come back. Best wishes

#12 ·
Well, it's been through our area like crazy, already. I hope everyone's family is feeling better soon.

#13 ·
Thanks Libby.
He does some wilder stuff but most have his music has a touch of his classical interests. Before he became so sick he was working on combining his solo cello playing ( a piece he wrote) with electronic music as back ground... I think it will be amazing.
If you can write comment about one or more pieces on his channel it would make his day. He is so excited about every view and every comment LOL. And esp. every sub or friend..
He is still sick in bed.The flu is going into his chest. It's worrying me.

Michelle I love your avatar. Your church's pumpkin patch is gorgeous.

#14 ·
No one has had it here we're taking our vitamins and keeping our immune system healthy! Hope your family gets well!

#16 ·
HollyHill - you are definitely not a hypochondriac - you are a warrior to protect your family, especailly your DD. How smart of you to have her wait in the car for her turn instead of with all the germs which were incubating just getting ready to jump on another unsuspecting victim. You are a wonderful warrior!!

#17 ·
Going around California too! My younger son's class had seven kids out for 4 days! And yes, he was one of them :sigh: My older son got it next and now I am down and out. This really stinks. Especially over Halloween!

#19 ·
My son is better today... but still coughing.

#20 ·
Glad your son is on the mend Hollyhill. Heard that the cough takes a long time to leave.

Firefly - take care - you don't want anyone to relapse.

Are many/any of you getting the H1N1 flu shot?

#22 ·
My 12 year old with diabetes already has her H1N1 shot and seasonal flu shot.
But "regular" folk won't beable to get it for another few weeks here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.