Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read an article in our local newspaper that said if you replace 5 most used regular bulbs with fluorescent bulbs you would save up to $275 per year off of your electric costs.

I don't understand how that can be :uhh:. Our annual electric costs right about $1,480. I have 25 spots that could use those bulbs, so in theory that would mean an annual savings of $1,375...

Hubby says they must be counting the cost of having to buy regular bulbs more often since the fluorescent bulbs last so much longer. What do you all think? Was the article misleading or what?

· Registered
724 Posts
they may be more energy effient in the long run because they last longer... just don't break them, some have mercury in them and that stuff can make you sick or kill you. Maybe not the floresent ones but some types of the new kind ( have mercury in them)

The good news is they are phasing out regular, old type bulbs and they are selling on clearance for dirt cheap.

yes I think they say they are more efficent because they last longer.

· Registered
241 Posts
Well they don't last as long as they claim. We were gradually changing all of our light bulbs over for the last couple years. Then we were having some burn out..........
WHAT???? They are supposed to last a few years.... and here they were burning out in less than a year and they cost SO much more.

We stopped buying them and went back to the old ones. Will start buying them again when we are forced to, I guess.....

· Registered
724 Posts
They are going to stop making the old ones !
I tried to buy a light fixture for a celing fan and they don't even make them for regular light bulbs anymore !

The old style light bulb is being phased out !
stock up if you like them !!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
482 Posts
We use them. We bought our house exactly 2 years ago today. I put in all flourescent bulbs and have yet to have one burn out. Some of them I have had for much longer than 2 years (ones in lamps) because I bought them when we lived in our old house.

· Registered
7,060 Posts
You may want to either stock up on the fluorescent bulbs when on sale, or atleast put the bulbs in at different times. I have been using them since they came out. They lasted a long time. Only thing is they all basically went out at the same time period.

I like them but will be looking for the non mercury ones that someone else mentioned. Don't think they are good for me or environment. Just can't help thinking about landfills full of them.

· Registered
5,439 Posts
Not everyone has a choice. Fluorescent lights make some people ill -- I am one of them. I have a hard enough time dealing with them out in "the world". I will not have them in my home. I don't care how much money they save.
Same here. They give me horrible headaches.

· Registered
588 Posts
I haven't seen that big of a difference in our bill, maybe 20 dollars a month, but that's also with me shutting off all lights anyway and doing less drying in the electric clothes dryer, so it's hard to say how good they are. We get them fror free through work, so the cost is not an issue, but I wonder where the catch up rate is if you buy them for more than regular bulbs and then start saving on your bill.

· Registered
875 Posts
quiltergirl2~ Totally hear you... Joe is a Tonic Clonic (Aka Grand Mal ) Epileptic .. i have to be very careful about those lights since they have a fast paced flicker they can cause sezures, migranes, eye strain and other issues.

Sometimes fluorescent lights bother him more then others... so i need to really put them in stratigic places so i can use either a regular bulb or flourescents for those days when he can deal with the lights.

· Registered
104 Posts
It's very difficult for me to go to the grocery store -- they seem to be the worst.

But I will not bring flourescent bulbs into the house. This is the one place I know I can get away from all that.

Two weeks ago when I bought incandescent bulbs I actually had a better selection and more brands to choose from. They were not being closed out at all. I think there are enough of us that the "old fashioned" light bulbs will not totally disappear -- they might get expensive, but I doubt they will be gone forever.

· Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
quiltergirl2~ Totally hear you... Joe is a Tonic Clonic (Aka Grand Mal ) Epileptic .. i have to be very careful about those lights since they have a fast paced flicker they can cause sezures, migranes, eye strain and other issues.

Sometimes fluorescent lights bother him more then others... so i need to really put them in stratigic places so i can use either a regular bulb or flourescents for those days when he can deal with the lights.
My husband grew up epileptic (hasn't had a seizure since he was 17) and our son who lives with us has grand mal seizures due to a TBI. The bulbs donot flicker like the tubes, at least my bulbs don't. If your bulbs are flickering maybe there could be a surge problem with your electricity???

· Registered
7,060 Posts
Since I had to replace the bulb next to the computer, I purchased enough to go in the bathroom outlets over the sink. Found them at Family Dollar for 2 for $5. They have mercury in them. Does anyone know about LED's? Are they any safer?

· Registered
17 Posts
fluorescent bulbs

I went to discount tire last month, and i had to wait like2 hours, but any ways after sitting there 30 minutes, i began to feel so sick to my stomach and getting really dizzy. i told my husband that i had to get out of there before i got to bad. luckly enought after walking to the other stores in the out let mall i felt better. next time my husband gets tires for his truck i defently wont be going with him.

· Registered
690 Posts
I did some research before I switched over my light bulbs from the old ones to the new florescents, I found out that a 60 watt new bulb actually use the electricity of what a 15 watt regular bulb would use so they use less enegry to run are brighter (at least mine are) last longer so that is were all the savings is from. I bought new cieling fans (remodling house) and all the new fans need florescent bulbs. I have found the florescents in all shape and sizes they even have the kind that look like candles. And if they do burn out before the time says you can contact the company and they will send you a new bulb I have done this a couple of times I also have found I belive it was yahoo but if you sign up and agree to try and be more "green" they will send you a free bulb and my electric company is offering a free florescent light bulb if switch to paperless billing. I love the florescent I have in my bedroom lamp it starts off really dim and then brightens over time witch is a great way to way up no blinding light first thing in the morning. I have to have my coffee:morning: in the morning and a bright light is not what i really want in the morning. I just bought a few light bulbs and swithced the bulbs that I used all the time dd is blind in one eye so is night blind so we leave 2 lights on all night those are the ones I switched first then a couple of bulbs a month.
here is a web site to calculate the savings. http://westarenergy.apogee.net/homesuite/calcs/lightcalc/
hope this helps. I really love mine and have almost switchen over all my light bulbs to florescents.

· Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the link schellie69!!!

· Registered
412 Posts
fluorescent bulbs

I have used florescent bulbs in my house for almost 9 years and also bought them for dd house.Mine don't flicker and none have burnt out yet.They don't have much mercury in them and the Phillips ones have the least.LED bulbs use alot less electricity than fluorescent bulbs do and I'm going to start buying them instead also they last longer.I'm sure like everything else that is new the price of LED bulbs will get cheaper.The small town I live in has new digital meters and underground power lines and we are the ones paying for it in very high bills.The rate here is almost 18 cents a KW and the way I figure it the least I can use the better.I swear if I could afford one of those little windmills I'd have a hand crank put on it and be out there cranking it or find a way to hook my dog up to it since she has so much energy.I'll do anything I can do to keep from getting robbed by this town and that is the reason I now have all florescent bulbs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.