Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my husband and I are changing both our financial life AND our health at the same time.

We took FPU about 2 years ago and we are about 18 months from being debt free...

We have decided to become Wellness students, which strongly embraces a no flour, no sugar, no processed, organic diet. We are also attending Yoga twice a week as part of the program.

We strongly believe in the benefits of this lifestyle, BUT are having really hard time finding good, organic food at a price that we can get the regular stuff. I really don't want to buy any of the 'regular' stuff ever again and i'm wondering if anyone here has any suggestions for me?

i am already planning a BIG organic garden for the summer, i've also contacted a friend of mine in the next town who grows a HUGE organic selection and will be buying some things direct from her.

any thoughts on getting my produce off season for a better price?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Grocers are, indeed, proud of their "organic" selection. I use the term organic loosely, too, because I've never been convinced that's what it truly is. :) The only true organic veggies I get for a decent price are those out of friends' and families' gardens. Occasionaly I will see discounted organics in the produce department at our local grocery store, but who wants a wilted head of lettuce?

The only thing I can think to do is can and freeze, times 10. :) I plan on loading up the freezer and cabinets with any produce I can.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
no help for you, but, great that you are doing it! i love love yoga. has helped in many many ways....better sleep, better health, better moods, no back pain, ......

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Until there are actual guidelines food producers must meet to use the term 'organic' on their packaging, I'll continue to believe it's merely a marketing tool being used to jack up the price.

I'm curious why you think flour is bad for you. There are all kinds and whole grains have many benefits, and there is such a variety of foods to be made with various types of flour.

·
2,688 Posts
There is a difference between organic and CERTIFIED organic.
Certified organic is a lot of hoops to jump through.

You also need to remember that small farmers have to charge a bit higher than big farmers who can do more production, due to sprays, chemicals, fertilizer, and big machinery.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
we continue to eat all sorts of grains including quinoa, oats, barley, kasha, groats, rice, etc.

flour in and of itself doesn't offer much nutritional benefit, and therefore, i would rather use my daily allotted calories eating whole, real foods rather than something processed and man made.

we learned a WEALTH of nutrition info from Food Matters, and the film Hungry for Change. the hubby and i have followed a no flour no sugar lifestyle (Dr Gott's diet) for a few years and from cutting those things out, lost a bunch of weight which was our goal!!!!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Do you have farmers markets or CSAs available where you live? That is where I find organic foods, other than what I grow.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Join a coop. There's a coop flyer that comes out monthly with deals in it. Use mambosprouts.com for coupons . Go to manufacturer's sites for more still.

If you don't have a copy of Lorna Sass' cookbook, Whole Grains, take a look and use it. Also 7 survival foods (I think?) although that uses a LOT of wheat.

Middle eastern foods? They use a lot of grains.

IHTH!

Judi

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I would look into building a cold frame. Not sure if it would work where you live but you might be able to get some greens and herbs to eat during the winter time.

There are also the aero gardens or making your own system similar to that to grow some plants indoors during the winter. You may not be able to grow everything during the winter but it would probably help to supplement what you have processed from your summer/fall gardens.

I am in the northeast and keep my potted chives outside all year round. As long as I keep the chives free of snow they pretty much grow all year round.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Co-ops

I would definitely look into local co-ops. I don't see where you are located. So, I don't know what is available in your area. In my area, there is a co-op called Bountiful Baskets that offers organic fruits and veggies very cheaply. You pay $25 to participate for that week and get about 30 lbs of fresh organic fruits and veggies for your money. You do not get to choose the food. You just get what is seasonal and that they could get for a good price. So, I pick up my order, then plan out meals that use what I happened to get that week. The non-organic price is $15. They also offer a 100% whole wheat organic bread that is amazing (5 loaves for $12). I think their pricing is just amazing!

An example of what you might get (this is what we got in ours this week)
oranges, strawberries, apples, pineapple, fennel, tomatoes, lettuce, avocados, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, and bananas.

Currently, Bountiful Baskets is offered in the following states: Utah, Arizona, Colorado, Georgia, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Montana, North Dakota, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nevada, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming.

You can find out more at Bountiful Baskets

·
Registered
2 Posts
EGGS: Think of them as little protein bombs. Plus, they're a good source of iron and lecithin, which is critical for brain health,
BEANS: They're low in fat, and packed with protein, fibre, and iron - nutrients crucial for building muscle and losing weight...

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have chickens, plenty of low cost, healthy protein.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Bravo for your health changes. I eat organic 80% of the time and unprocessed 90% of the time. I feel much more satisfied eating organic. It tastes better, is better for me, and better for the earth. I'm willing to pay the extra for what I consider the net gain.

Great you lost weight, too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts