Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How do you use it creatively for your main dish?

My favourite is the boring old open-faced tuna melt. Tuna fish, mayo, sweet pickle relish, maybe some grilled onion if I'm feeling frisky, seasoned with salt/pepper, and plopped on a hamburger bun, shredded cheese on top, broiled for a few minutes until heated all the way through. My sister likes hard-boiled egg in her mixture, but I'm a protein purist. :D

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
I like tuna patties. I know most people add bread or crackers but I just use tuna, egg, bran, spices and what ever veggies are on hand. Top with a slice of cheese. Yum!!!

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is one from Prevention magazine:

Toss together:

tuna fish
chickpeas
chopped tomatoes
parsley
olive oil
lemon juice
salt
pepper

Mound on crispbread, drizzle with a bit more olive oil, and enjoy.

And another salad variation:

Tuna fish
cooked lentils
chopped tomatoes
parsley
vinaigrette dressing
salt and pepper to taste

And for the adventurous: tuna pizza!!

Brush pita with olive oil, then sprinkle with grated fontina cheese. Top with tuna, minced garlic, halved marinated artichoke hearts, diced tomato, and kalamata olives. Scatter fresh rosemary and dried oregano over top. Bake until bubbly.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
We will make a rice & tuna casserole.

6 cups of cooked rice
1 large can of cream of mushroom or cream of celery soup
2 to 3 cans of tuna in water, drained
1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar
2 tablespoons of poppyseeds

All of the above mixed well in a casserole dish.

Baked at 350* for 15-20 minutes

Remove and add 1 to 1/2 sleeves of crushed Ritz crackers. Then spoon 3 tablespoons of butter over the top. Put back in the oven for a couple of minutes.

Sometimes we add some broccoli, mushrooms or English peas to the mix. Also, 4-8 ounces of sour cream gives it an extra kick.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
When i was little and money was tight my mother used to make Tuna pea wiggle. Tuna in a white sauce with peas and served on Toast or crackers. Also i make a tuna casserole with a box of mac n cheese and peas.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Tuna Noodle Casserole

1 small onion diced
2 tsp. butter
1 package mushrooms, sliced
1 bag egg noodles
6 oz. cream cheese
1/2 c. milk
1 can good tuna
1 can cream of mushroom soup
8 oz. shredded cheese (I used a taco flavor)
crushed potato chips

Saute onions & shrooms in butter. Add mushroom soup, milk, tuna, cream cheese. Heat until the creme cheese is melted.
boil noodles, and when done mix together. Add 1/2 cheese. Pour into casserole dish sprayed with Pam.. add rest of cheee on top...and sprinkle crushed potato chips on top.
Bake 30 minutes.

You could be like me..and forget the cheese while on the phone with my sister, so I told my family when you dish it out..flip it upside down..and sprinkle cheese on top. It worked like a charm~!

Reactions: rkwells

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I have nothing to add, but glad I read thru this. I usually just do tuna melts too. But I'm copying/sending myself this thread. The recipes are awesome! Who'd of guessed you could do so much with a can of tuna? I love it :)

Thanks!
Theresa :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Actually, we are having Tuna melts for dinner this week...

I also make Tuna chowder, tuna casserole and I will look through my recipes and get back with you later;) Take care and God bless.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
1 can of tuna stretched for one family meal
Tuna mac

Cook up a box of mac and cheese according to the directions. When that is finished stir in ( over low/med. heat) a can of tuna and a can of cream of mushroom soup.

The family loves it when I make this. It is sort of like a cassrole but is quick on the stove top.

So Yummy

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ok, I have to dig this recipe out - I thought I had it close by but it is buried somewhere in my recipe file.

The basic thing is Pasta (we use penne),
Tuna
Olive oil
capers
lemon juice and zest
and a couple of other things. YOu basically make a sauce of the tuna and pour over the pasta. Its really delicious. I haven't done this in awhile but will find the exact recipe and post it.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
tuna, white beans, onion, parsley, bit of chpd ppr,salt and pepper. bit of olive oil and a smidgen of balsamic. stuff in pita. and wala, a health lunch is srvd!

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Tuna noodle casserole

Make white sauce or use cream of mushroom soup (add milk if using soup)
noodles cooked
can of peas
can of tuna

Put a few slices of velveeta cheese on top and bake at 350 for 25 minutes

1 - 17 of 17 Posts