Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get one but so far I can only find a Silton(sp)? which is a 4 tray.I was thinking about advertising on Kijijji to see if anyone has a used one they want to sell.Might get a larger or more durable one that way,plus save money.
My question is how has yours been for you,any problems with certain makes,and how long do these last usually.What can go wrong with them?
I am thinking there are lots of people out there that love to buy things and then never use them.I might be able to save alot.Any suggestions?

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I have a really cheap one - a Nesco. (Actually, I have two.) They have lasted forever, with the exception that the trays get brittle, and some of them have started to crack and break down. HOWEVER, I also abused them horribly, throwing them in the d/w, not caring which rack they were in, and they still lasted over five years before they started to give up.

I love my dehydrators, and use them every year, both to dehydrate fruit and meat, and also to preserve some of the herbs out of my garden.

The Nesco is nice, for me, because you can buy additional trays, and you can stack up to about seven (although I will rotate them around during the drying process) of them and still get a nice product. You can also get the fruit leather tray and various sized screens for it, depending on what you want to dehydrate.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Go here Frugal Village Forums > Lifestyle > Frugal Living and look for threads with the word dehydrator in it or just type dehydrator in the search box. This has been discussed many times and lots of good information there.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a nesco too! And I have abused it also! Put apples and peaches in it, and sometimes they stick, but oh, what great treats they were. Now no where near apple and peaches for such cheap prices, so I have not used my dehydrator in a while. But I got mine at Walmart.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.