Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
27,948 Posts
Reactions: mauimagic and Bloo

·
Registered
904 Posts
i have a slicer, not sure of the name brand, but I got it from Lowes for $100 years ago. I love it for slicing both bread and meat for sandwiches. I am not sure that slicing my own is any cheaper than buying it pre-sliced from the store though.

Of course, what I make at home taste a whole lot better to me and that is worth a bit.

I consider mine to be one of my better purchases.

only advice is to make sure that it is easy to clean, mine really isn't.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I have an older slicer I got at a thrift shop for $10. It mostly sits in my lower cabinet. However, that is likely to change as I just got a dehydrator for Christmas! I also have a madrilaine, but it "feels" like it's messier, I'm not sure why, and I keep nicking my fingers on it. I'm so careful with the electric slicer; I've never hurt myself (it's an older model with an exposed blade :eek:)

Judi

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I have a Rival that a Frugal Village friend (laurieinbradenton) brought to me from Florida when she came to town for a flower show. I like it, but you have to slice a lot to make it worth while to drag it out, use it, clean it, and put it back up. I find cooked roasts, hams, deli meat chunks at the salvage store for a decent price from time to time.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I have one that is all metal and I have used it so much that I am suprised that it still works..Slice ham, Roast beef and pork, turkey. I did find that I can debone a turkey breast and make it into a roll and tie it up and bake..Makes the best sliced meat...you have to watch when you bake it that it don't dry out..Mine has paid for itsself many time over..I have made a many trays of meat and cheese to take places. I use it a lot to waffer slice ham and freeze it after it is sliced..You just have to make sure you get all the air out of the bag to keep it from freezer burn...

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I had a really good one years ago and sold it when I was doing so much moving........a demon to pack. And it too was a PTIA to clean..........so didn't really miss it.

Have been thinking about getting just a smaller cheaper one as I have quit buying 'lunch meat'.......and miss it... so I could make my own.

Don't know how you would know how easy it is to clean until you got it home and used it............and they might frown on the return after that.......the packages don't say much about that part of it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I love mine. A group of my friends and I will get large blocks of various cheeses and meats from bulk stores. We split the cost and then slice it all up so we all have a variety for much cheaper. Other times I get the large packages myself, slice it up, vac. seal it, and enjoy the savings.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have had mine for years too.I like the fact that I can slice meat just the way I want it for whatever I am making at the time.It really does a good job on fresh baked bread.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have had mine for years.. Looks like the one in the picture.. It's handy and I don't find mine much of an effort to clean..

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have one exactly like the one pictured and I don't like it. It's flimsy and hard to manage slicing a large piece of meat (like a chub of bologna). It's not easy to hold whatever you are slicing with one hand while trying to push the power button with the other hand. The worst to me, is trying to clean it because you can't immerse the part with the motor in it so it never really seems "clean" to me. I guess I'm a bit of clean freak like that. With that said, about all mine gets used for is if we have a big cookout in summer and I need to slice a lot of tomatoes and onions. Otherwise, I just pull out my trusty chef's knife.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have a question....Say I go out and buy a slicer and go to get meat. we have no surplus stores or lower cost stores in our area so everyone charges by whatever the pound their deli meat and is going for if you buy chunks. I know at the farm auctions you can get bologna pretty cheap but other than that I couldn't find anything that I can save on. I thought about just buying a ham but do you have to cook it first or is it ok to slice and eat right from the package?(although I know my husband would eat it if I didn't cook it first and then it would fall apart LOL) I might not be understanding the whole process so bear with me. Sometimes I can be an airhead

·
27,948 Posts
You can just slice a fully cooked ham. We usually make a dinner of whatever is on sale and then turn the leftovers into lunchmeat. Just cut a big hunk of the lefotver meat off (breast on whole chicken or turkey, boneless beef, porkroast, ham...) and slice it as thick as you want.

Reactions: Shelli_wnj

·
Registered
557 Posts
Oh ok I thought since it falls off the bone and stuff that it wouldn't slice right. This I can do. The store has ham on sale for .99 a pound next week. I LOVE HAM!!!!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I have cooked a boneless pork roast and let it cool overnight in the ref and sliced it with mine. I also like to get the boneless hams and smoked turkey breast at save o lot and waffer/thin slice them before I freeze them for sandwiches or a meat platter for special dinners.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I had a slicer years ago. Hand cranked, weighed a ton. I loved it while I had the family at home. When there was just the two of us I gave it to DD. She's still using it since she does more cooking and entertaining.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I love our slicer -- dh was a meat cutter, before he got sick, so we have semi-professional model.

I love that I can cook our meats myself (without salt, preservatives, etc.) and slice it to suit us. . . thin for some things, thicker for some, and really thick for things like ham steaks, etc.

·
19,119 Posts
Love the posts, now trying to think how I could really use one of these - and you know what? I cannot - just the two of us - makes no sense - but love hearing what you do with yours!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts