Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a link to a blog that I really enjoy. Some of y'all "pro's" might have different opinions on the recommendations, but I believe it's a good way for many of us to start thinking in terms of preparedness and food storage. I could never accommodate that much in my limited space, but it does give me ideas of things I had not thought of with aspirin and vitamins topping the list. I don't take multi-vitamins now but can see where, under certain circumstances, they might be important.

Food Storage for "Dummies" (who are SMART enough read this!) | One Good Thing by Jillee

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Whew.......the list is pretty extensive.

I have the room but wouldn't want to have that much stuff on hand to 1. either rotate through.......2. or have spoil when I didn't use it.

That is for two people, so even if I 'halve it' the salt alone would be way too much.

but.......certainly does give you some ideas.......

·
Registered
476 Posts
Salt doesn't occur naturally where I live (no salt marshes, no salt water I can evaporate). Although I'm no salt-freak, having some is better than none, and would be a 'normalcy' comfort more than anything.

Getting started having a deep pantry is the hardest part. I like this plan, focus on one item at a time. But make sure you will use whatever it is you are stocking up on. 52 cans of tuna is wasted money and space if you won't eat it (I don't care how cheap you got it with a coupon.)

Major perks - I don't have to run to the store when I run out of certain things, usually can find a substitute, I can feed a housefull or a few

·
4,028 Posts
It seems to be lacking canned veggies but has lots of cream of soups..... It could use some tweaking for our family. :) And I would also increase the amount of salt since it was considered currency for a very long time.

Reactions: Trishagirl

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Better get it before the zombies come!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.