1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I don't buy these, unless they're dead cheap...you?
Judi

They have to be on sale but I do buy some of the things.

I buy the trail mix........but not the small packages. (one store I shop at has it in the bulk bins) Buy the bottled water........when on sale.......for emergency supplies. I will buy what they probably call the 'gourmet veggies'........but buy the one with asparagus in it, when on sale....and not very often.

I don't buy the individual servings.........of anything.

I have to admit.........I AM a spice slut :yikes:.......but don't buy the rubs....just lots of the other 'mixes'.........love spices!!

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
I think there's a time and a place for most everything on that list. I disagree with the statement that making your own is easier or just as tasty. It's often a PITA to collect all the ingredients, or find them fresh, and the difference can be pennies.

I buy bottled water when we are on the road. There's no other way to get cold drinks when you are living out of your car and a motel room for a week.

DH gets individual snack packs as a means of portion control. I know the big bag is cheaper, but if he found it he'd eat the whole thing in one night.

And I'll happily pay $6 for premium ice cream because I LIKE it. Likewise, a $1 can of tomatoes tastes NOTHING like the premium pasta sauce I buy. Neither does my home made.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
And I'll happily pay $6 for premium ice cream because I LIKE it.
Oh yeah.......forgot about the ice cream thing.

Yep...me too...I don't eat that much ice cream and when I do I want Hagen Daz ....or sometimes RootBeer or French Vanilla from Tillamook...........don't buy the others.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Do you think these food companies are going to sue Reader's digest if they have a decrease in sales??

Reactions: Judi Dial

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I do by the side dish mixes at Aldi's for $.69 pack. It's something my kids can whip up quickly if they are making dinner. Throw chicken breasts in a pan, side dish, veggie and it's dinner w/o mama doing anything:)

·
27,948 Posts
I don't buy most of those and enjoy making my own things. I do however buy some spice mixes one being Montreal steak seasoning, love that stuff. I see it uses the "bigger" salt and I haven't jumped on that bandwagon yet so don't have it in my pantry. That said, many times the copycat recipes are missing those 1 or 2 special ingredients that makes the original the hit it is.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I usually avoid the processed foods because of the chemicals and usually they have an ingredient I am sensitive to. I do indulge in plantain chips though. Can't seem to be able to make them myself. They always come out blah and not crispy.

I do keep a couple gallon bottles of water around for emergency. Luckily I had some over the summer when there was some flooding and faucet water had to be boiled to be drinkable. No thanks to that water and I used the bottled water.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I buy the mixed salads, and can usually get them on sale. Since I'm the only one that eats it, it's more economical for me to buy the prewashed salads. Buying heads of lettuce isn't exactly cheap either, and I usually have to throw it away because it doesn't get eaten.
I agree. I buy the pre bagged ones also. My daughter and i eat salads at least 4 days a week and. When i buy heads of lettuce and spinach it goes bad really fast.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have seen the new thing they have out for spices. Like if your making a roast they have the cardboard backing little squares of like 5 spices. different ones to choose from $3.29. I was looking at them the other day and there has to be maybe 1/2 teaspon in each. For 5 bucks i could get the large bottles at the dollar store.

Reactions: Paws and Judi Dial

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I buy bottled water only if we are going on a camping trip as at a lot of the campgrounds we go to you cannot drink the water without boiling it and when were camping we don't want to stay at the site boiling water all day. Also we do sometimes buy the prepackaged rice / noodles. Mostly the rice from the dollar stores. The rest we don't really get.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Thanks Judy , interesting article.

I know YMMV , and each individual families needs ,budgets , time is different.

I enjoy making things from scratch it tends to save our family time, energy and money, but the real reason is our needs might be different then others. We can't eat any processed foods or additives, one in particular use to leave me very sick. When I found out what the headaches, dizziness , being sick for days etc was , and had the choice of being at the Dr. or making our own things and leaving some of these ingredients out, the choice was simple. I have been a mega couponer, and a from scratch person and I save more money hands down scratch cooking. I buy mostly organic in bulk and save tons and my health soared. I now run 5-6 miles a day,do tai chi, yoga at times and no more headaches , no more neurological visits!

To my friends I am considered the gourmet foodie, and love that role. Anything the companies can make I can make better......MU.. HA...HA..HA...HA ( evil laughs...) (or at least that is what my kids and friends say. Which is very kind of them.

I love making copy cats, formulating my own copy cats or recipes. I do what I can to maximize the nutrition and make my own granola bars, trail mixes, Popsicles, ice cream, sauce, side dishes etc. I have a Big Berkley for water but do buy bottled at times.
I think whatever is best for each of your budgets, health and shopping habits is best for your individual family decision.

Blessings,

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I guess I'm in the middle...I buy some prepackaged things, such as salad mixes, but most things I try to make myself due to being rather sensitive to MSG and a few preservatives.

Ice cream, we like to make ourselves using fresh fruit and whole ingredients.:lip:

Same thing goes with rice, spice, cake, cookie, and brownie mixes...spaghetti, Bolognese, and maranara sauces...
We -do- buy water bottles, but only when on a really good sale.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I guess I'm in the middle...I buy some prepackaged things, such as salad mixes, but most things I try to make myself due to being rather sensitive to MSG and a few preservatives.
Ice cream, we like to make ourselves using fresh fruit and whole ingredients.:lip:

I love love love making my own ice cream as well, nothing compares with fresh cream or coconut milk chocolate ice cream. I made Pumpkin Pie ice cream this week for a special pie, that I make every year. It was so good.

Reactions: Paws and Judi Dial

·
Registered
860 Posts
We occasionally buy the bagged salad mixes and I often buy the rice/pasta side dishes, but almost exclusively at the bargain grocery. I buy spaghetti sauce when it's on sale, often for 88 cents, and stock up. We usually buy a store brand of frozen yogurt instead of ice cream to save on calories, but if I want to splurge, it has to be Mayfield's Birthday Cake flavor!

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I think this is one of those things that is useful for the rest of the world to hear but only makes the pros at Frugal Village say "well, duh." To say that you should 'never' buy something again is kind of dramatic though. How about you should "rarely" buy something?

I bought a 24 pack of bottled water at walgreens a few weeks ago and kept it in the car. It was 2.99. Whenever we're out and my kids are thirsty or hungry, I hand them a bottle of water and tell them to tough it out. Outings are a lot more comfortable when you have a supply of drinking water on hand. Buying that case of water actually helped us break the fast food habit that I had fallen into after we returned from our road trip.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Of the fifteen items I only buy the bagged salads, and that is only in the winter. I don't buy Reader's Digest either.

Reactions: Darlene

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
The only thing that I buy is the bottled water but we buy it when it's on sale. Other wise we buy the water in the gallon jugs. We buy sping water to drink and make tea. I may buy rubs on occasion at our local meat market but their rubs don't have preservatives or msg.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I buy the protein and energy bars for when I work out. They really do help give you the extra umph you need to get it done. I think bottled water is good only if you're storing it away for emergency use. However, if you're drinking it daily then you're doing more harm than good to not only your pocket book, but to the environment as well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.