Votes: 18 60.0%
  • I want one

Votes: 2 6.7%
1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone uses these. I am trying to decide if the wide mouth Jar Sealer is worth the $11 each. ty Debbie :D

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I got a jar sealer with my foodsaver and I think I used it once.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sort of what I thought, maybe my bf got one with his too and I just don't know it. I was thinking it would be good for tomato sauce--only two of us and opening a whole can for a pizza wastes a lot of sauce. Thanks!

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Got a FoodSaver - I love it!

I bought a FoodSaver the other day and so far I love it!

Now I have to go to thier website and order the attachment for canning jars. I have a ton of those and will be able to do most of my pantry items in them.

Thanks for all the info on them ladies,
you talked me right into it! :D

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I Love mine !!!!!

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Good for you!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would love a food saver . I use to watch the infomercial all the time. Loved the marshmellow thing. LOL so glad you like it.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I even have one of those older ones that didn't have the vaccuum on it.... It was nice too, I sometimes can still find bags at yard sales for it !!!!

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have had mine for about 2 years, I love it!

·
Spendthrift Guru aka KarlaBob
1,479 Posts
I also love mine, althought I have found when using the canning jar attachment it doesn't stay sealed, If it works and stay's for you let me know the secret.

·
27,948 Posts
Congratulations:D Are the bags expensive?

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
i know this may sound dumb, but what is a "foodsaver?";)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I absolutely love mine. I freeze anything I can in the bags. Right now I have hamburger crumbles, turkey slices, ham cubes, shredded chicken, and ham and chicken broths in the freezer. The turkey I've had since last Christmas and it still tastes fresh!

I know there's more in those bags in the freezer, I just can't think of them right now.:D

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
mommy2two, It is a vacuum sealer. You place the item in a special bag (they can be washed and re-used) lay it in the machine, press a button and presto vacuum packaged food!

The machine sucks all the air out of the package (so no freezer burn) then heat seals the bag. You can also do dry staples. This helps things stay fresher longer anywhere from 3-5 months longer than normal.

Darlene, I just got mine and it came with a few bags. I did purchase another roll yesterday at Walmart. 8" wide by 22' long for $9.82, they wanted $12.99 +S&H on the website for the same thing. The rolls you can cut to fit the object you are saving.

They say it would be great for camping stuff (like keep your matches and stuff dry) and to seal keepsakes too. I just wanted it because I was tired of throwing out food. I hated going in the freezer, picking up a ziplock bag, and trying to figure out what it was! :yikes: We bought the freezer to be able to save money not throw it away!

·
TammyBob
6,981 Posts
Diana-Do you still like the foodsaver? I've debated for a year if I want one or not lol

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I love mine too!!!
I also found the canning jars don't stay sealed well, so I want in on it if you discover the secret!!! LOL

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I love my FoodSaver! It really came in handy when dh brought home that 54# of ground beef!

I saw the canning jar accessory at Target a couple days ago for $9.99.

I get my bags at Sam's, 4 rolls for $29.xx, it's like getting 1 roll for free.

I got mine last year for Christmas. It came with 2 canisters. I keep lettuce in the larger canister and it stays crisp for over a month!

I haven't tried it on canning jars, but I know my lettuce won't seal unless the rim of the lid and the inside of the canister are DRY. It sucks up the moisture and doesn't seal right.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Tammy, yes I still love it! I bought a lot of candy after Halloween and packaged it up with a little of everything in separate bags. I've used it for fresh meat, no freezer burn. When doing the meat, it said not to re-use the bag, because of contamination. Well what I did was double wrap the piece of chicken or ground beef in plastic wrap and then seal it in the bag. Worked great! You don't realize how much moisture is in those items until you vacuum seal it! As soon as I take it out of the freezer, I cut open the bag and remove the item, place it on a plate or in a container and let it thaw in the plastic wrap. Thus it saves the bag for another use. I still wash it out with soapy water, but there isn't any blood or juices from the raw meat in the bag.

I ordered the canning jar attachments (reg. and wide mouth) weeks ago and haven't received them yet. As soon as I do, I will let you know how they work.

On the moisture problem, I did freeze some broccoli I blanched. I let them dry on a paper towel real well and patted dry. But I also folded a paper towel to fit the width of the bag and put in before sealing. It worked great, it sucked up a lot of the excess moisture and didn't interfer with the sealing of the bag.

HTH

1 - 20 of 152 Posts