Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember as a child having an aunt who would can, can, can and then can more....she would use empty jars such as pasta sauce jars that were purchased at a store and then reuse them for pickles. She said as long as they have the rubber in the cover they would reseal...is this still possible with todays jars or not...I plan on canning extreme this year but cannot afford to buy all mason jars that would be needed....thanks!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi I am not 100% sure of the answer I have heard both yes and no so I will definately be watching this thread for the experts to chime in. But with purchasing the jars, check out goodwills and garage sales, at least around here there are quite a few people that sale them.

Reactions: alotofgooddeals

·
2,688 Posts
Your best bet is regular canning jars. You can buy new if you can't find them used. Put a ad up on craigslist. Wanted canning jars Somebody might give you some free ones. If you get a email that someone wants to sell them, ask them their price. Don't offer a price first. They might be lower than what you would offer.
About half of new is a fair price to pay for used jars.
I sold some last year on craigslist for $ 4 a dozen.

Check thrift stores and garage sales. Put the word out to friends/family if they know anyone who might want to get rid of canning items.

Start looking now for canning lids. Buy a few dz, a week so when you do start canning, you don't have to buy in huge quanity all at once.

Okay, the store jars you have that maybe pickles came in. You probably can get them to seal again. But it is taking a chance. I use different size glass jars that are not canning jars, to store dry goods in. I been thinking of reusing the jars that gravy came in, but it would be for jam, and it would go in the frig even if I thought I had a good seal. That way I can give a few away and not worry about getting a good canning jar back.

Old mayonaise jars still work good. Suggestion would be to use them in a water bath. Not in a pressure canner.

Years ago, there used to be a brand of coffee that came in a nice slender jar that if you used a 63 lid on, you got a good seal. I don't think, they make this size lid anymore. Most lids are regular and wide mouth size. 63's were smaller than regular and last I knew, made back in the 1970's. I happen to have a gallon size ziplock bag of them, that I found at a garage sale last year. I'm hanging onto them for emergency back ups. And yes I have the old jars to fit them on. I rescued them out of a cellar because the 90 yr old lady said she was done canning and gave them to me. I have to go back this spring, and get the balance of the jars. She had 3 outside walls full of canning jars.

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
I"m not quite sure of the question. . . .

Yes, I use commercial glass jars for canning - generally only in water baths though. . I use mason jars in my pressure canner.

As for the lids - NEVER reuse a lid for sealing. . . always get a new lid (you can reuse the rings).

·
2,688 Posts
I think she wants to re-use the orginal lid that came with the glass jar that maybe store pickles came in.

You can reuse old canning lids over again if you don't mangle them, but should only be used, like for dry storage.

Reactions: alotofgooddeals

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You thought right!

Good idea on the gravy jars.....and yes i would put them in the refrigerator just in case they didn't seal very well...or i could put jam in the freezer righ?

Thanks for all your help...

[/-]
I think she wants to re-use the orginal lid that came with the glass jar that maybe store pickles came in.

You can reuse old canning lids over again if you don't mangle them, but should only be used, like for dry storage.

·
2,688 Posts
You can make freezer jam yes.
But if you freeze it, do so without a lid on. After it is frozen, then add the lid. You don't want glass breakage.

I prefer regular canning for jam....and then water bath it.
When my kids were little, I used to make 60 pints a year.

I made raspberry and grape a few months ago.
It tastes real good, and I LIKE knowing where my food comes from.
The raspberries came from my son's garden, and the grapes were from a local vineyard.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Wellllllllllllll..............this is NOT what any expert will tell you........and grainlady would just faint and probably tell me I am lucky I am not dead...........BUT.........I have used commercial jars AND the lids. I water bath them.......make sure they seal.....and I check this carefully. I have only had a couple that didn't seal...........in the last four to five years. Then I just put them in the frig. and eat them first.

The caution here is that I DO NOT use them for any sort of bean or tomato............usually just pickles and some jams.

But.......I will be the first to admit that this is not recommended!! And you are taking a chance that the jar will break during the bath process..........but I have never had it happen. HAVE had an old canning jar break, however!!

Know probably half a dozen people that do this too.

·
Registered
904 Posts
everything tells you it isn't safe to reuse them. With that said I often do and don't usually have a problem. I watch them for the first few days to make sure they don't come unsealed and if they do I use that jar first.

You can safely use them for things that do not need to be sealed though. (i.e. saurkraut, and freezer as Ladytoydreams said)

I keep all my glass jars with lids and use them for something. If you make your own mixes they are great for that.

·
2,688 Posts
I am glad you got some more posts on this :)

If I was in a pinch and needed those store jars, yes I would use them. However, it is NOT recomended by any of the experts.
But we do what we have to do sometimes.

I was reading the other day that someone even reused her flat lids in the canner. Well if I ever had to do that in a pinch, I would mark that lid and put in frigerator to use up very soon. Jams would work okay and pickles.

And some people still use the old methods/recipes to can.
Again not recommended but.......

I know quite a few people who still use those old wire bail jars, with the rubbers to can in. I know I sold a LOT of them last year on craigslist.

I also collect older jars and I will tell you, that I am NOT a expert by any means. I do however, have quite a bit of canning experience background. Once upon a time, I had over 1000 jars, and used to can about 600 jars a year.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I keep all my glass jars with lids and use them for something. If you make your own mixes they are great for that.
I do the same and keep my rice, lentils and all kinds of things in my jars. Love the gallon ones. I do love canning , deydrating etc as well. This yr. did about 200 jars, plus freezing and dehydrating. Good luck with your endeavors.

I know reusing jars is not recommended so be safe and put in the fridge if you need to do that way.

Here is one of my favorite sites ,she is in Australia but reuses hers:

down---to---earth: Be a jam maker - nectarine jam

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.