Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi as some of you may know we are plnning on getting a dobie this summer. I was wondering about the ears. How long does it take for them to heal? How long do you wrap and tape them? What is the heal time on that? Any help would be appreciated. Marcia

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Marcia, you need to get the ears done before they turn 16 weeks old.
We do ours at 13 weeks.
You go back once a week to wrap or unwrap. Usually one week wrapped, one unwrapped and back and forth for right at about a month.

The entire process takes about a month and a half. For total heal time.

Please find a vet that puts them under before they do it!! I had one vet that did NOT and I didn't know about it until after they did his ears.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Marcia, you don't have to have their ears cropped. The only reason you HAVE to have them done is if you show them.

Am Staffs (my breed) can be shown either way. Gypsy's ears are perfect, so I left them alone!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
My dad used to have two dobies. He got Duke's ears cropped and the experience was so awful for all of them that when he got Addie, he didn't get it done. If it's just a family pet, I wouldn't get it done - but that's JMO! :) If I talk to my dad anytime soon, I will ask him about the healing, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts