Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been a List Maker. I can't function without my list(s) to keep me focused and moving forward. While I enjoy posting in Piney's monthly To-Do threads my lists are often more detailed and just naming three things to focus on doesn't hit the amount of detail I need and I feel awkward posting my gargantuan lists. :eek:

In addition to my daily chores I keep a running list of things that need to be done and add to it as things pop in to my head or need to be tended to. My husband is flying out tomorrow for a minimum of two weeks and I always jump at the opportunity to get some extra's done while he's gone.

I pulled some things off my running list that I'd like to accomplish while he's gone. I don't think I'll get them all done since I only have one full weekend alone (unless his plans change) but I think I can make a pretty good dent in some of them over the course of two weeks.

Daily Chores as needed (including his :toothy:)

BJ's Run
Walmart Run
Aldi Run
Publix Run

Rotate Spices
Spice Inventory
Order New Spices

Bills/Banking/Budgets (regular chore but must be done ASAP)
New Checks in briefcase
Empty File Cabinet
Put away the odds and ends on my desk
Update Special inventory / disk
Update Price Book (thought I put it on the computer but can't find it)
Tax Prep
Type up Emergency Action List
Type up Emergency Purchase List

Organize Pantry after BJ's Run
Move any excess to shed

Go through my closet
Donate as necessary

Re-Organize Bathroom Cabinet (need organizers from Walmart)

Peek in on Spare Room - organize as necessary

Inventory Deep Freeze

Clean oscillating fan
Clean small fan

Polish Knives
Polish All-Clad

Rotate GHB
Wipe out cup holder

Return shirts to Penney's

Call Peerless about Set-Screw

It doesn't matter if your list is daily, weekly or monthly. If you've got a list and want to knock some things off please join me. I'll be posting daily as things get worked off or added. :D

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I do the same thing. I threw out all my lists today, and starting fresh in February. I make lists for everything!!! I love crossing things off and getting things done. Are you a virgo? I hear we virgos are like this!
Virgo here and I do the same thing. I've always done better with a list cause I love crossing them off. But seems like for every one I cross off I find two to add.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Niko--made me smile.."cross on off and add two" That's my list!

Master list maker here, sorry I am a Libra. Since I love lists...here's mine for Feb.

clean off pew
take pics. and learn how to post on Frugal Village
sell puppies
take DDs on camping trip
pack for camping trip
bake for all my friends having B-Days at school
write reports for work
clean out cedar chest--decide if keeping or donate
start going through clothes--donate, donate, donate
Clear and clean home office
Ins. check-up
repair bird seed guard
do all laundry on Saturdays
DD1 paperwork
complete 2014 Summer Household goal sheet (stuff to repair or work on that can only be completed in warm weather)
Valentine Cookies for Kid's club party at work
finish one quilt
start 2014 Tax file

Well that should keep me busy along with the day to day.

·
19,119 Posts
Good idea - this will work for me too. Now I need to create my master list

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I'm a Virgo haha. We are perfectionists!
My list is on my e-calendar. I can display it by month, by week or by day. It gives me pop-up reminders.
Sometimes it is good just to write things down. I get a good feeling crossing them off the list. When I go out and have a bunch of things to do, I make a list.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
@ Niko - I know the feeling!! Remove One, Add Two!! The story of my life!

@Kim - I live by my Outlook calendar! It's different from my running chore list but definitely overlaps because that's where I put things that are time sensitive or need a constant or recurring reminder.

My normal Saturday routine got messed up due to the husband flying out but I got a lot done.

Scrubbed tub and shower (regular routine)

We took his truck to the dealer first thing this morning to get serviced while he's gone so he won't be without a vehicle when he gets back. Next door neighbor will take me to pick it up next week when it's ready.

We had time this morning to make the BJ's run. I used his muscle power to help me load/unload all the stuff. Got everything put away except pantry items. Need to rotate and do a little organization with the new items.

Rotated in to new toothbrushes, did a quick inventory of HBA essentials and added new items to upcoming Walmart list. Washed out a large conditioner container with a hand pump and transferred a large shampoo container that didn't have a pump.

Finished his last load of laundry - got him packed.

Wiped kitchen cabinets, dusted dining room table (regular chore)

Cleaned the cup holder in my car. Rotated my fast food coupons (I carry the fast food coupons that come in our mailers in my car in case of "emergencies", lol)

Washed two pair of sandals. Once they dry I can wash the pair I'm wearing.

Got him to the airport. Came home with nervous energy.

Pulled out my GHB. Pulled everything out, took mental inventory, replaced clothing as needed and water bottles. Dust busted floor board where bag sits.

Completely emptied the fridge and freezer. Tossed all old foods, scrubbed clean (I keep a clean fridge/freezer anyway so it wasn't hard). Pulled odds and ends to the forefront for me to eat off this week and rotated overflow of boxed frozen veggies from deep freeze to regular freezer.

Got my laundry started.

Rotated bulk spices to daily use jars, did inventory, went through Penzey's catalog, got all order numbers and pricing noted. Tomorrow I'll repackage all bulk and place order for new stuff.

Still have nervous energy but need to stop for the night or I won't get anything done tomorrow. :eek:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Virgo here. I have daily to do, weekly to do, general to do, things to buy for house, kids, myself, ongoing grocery lists. Never seems to work for me to put in electronic form...need my paper.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I make lists of things to get done in a year, then by month, then weekly and daily. Sometimes its overwhelming, and its like an addiction. I threw out all my lists a while back and I felt like I was missing stuff every day! Made me anxious, so back to lists. I try to pair down now, but i have 2014 and 2015 to do's written and try to focus on smaller stuff every day. My house is organized, and clean but its neverending with the daycare! Glad I am not alone!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I make lists of things to get done in a year, then by month, then weekly and daily. Sometimes its overwhelming, and its like an addiction. I threw out all my lists a while back and I felt like I was missing stuff every day! Made me anxious, so back to lists. I try to pair down now, but i have 2014 and 2015 to do's written and try to focus on smaller stuff every day. My house is organized, and clean but its neverending with the daycare! Glad I am not alone!
My cousin is expecting her 7th child this week. She home schools all of them. She is very organized way in advance, too. I expect that has to be done if you have daycare or homeschool. I know I map out my semesters over a year ahead so I know when important dates are and when I have time off. My cousin schedules "class trips" into her curriculum and a couple of vacations during her year. I admire her so much for being able to keep a neat home with 7 kiddos. Her husband owns a dairy farm in Vermont and works 16 hour days much of the year.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I'm a list freak too. I bought one of those magnetic note pad's that have every day of the week visible on the same small page. I write which chores I'd like to get done on those days but I have to co-ordinate it with my calendar on my phone so I don't overload days with appointments. By the time the week's over, that page is a mess and anything not done gets transferred over to next week and then I can toss the scribbly page :lol:

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Virgo here. I have daily to do, weekly to do, general to do, things to buy for house, kids, myself, ongoing grocery lists. Never seems to work for me to put in electronic form...need my paper.
YES!!!! A separate list for each thing! There was a day ( not anymore ) I had a list of my lists. My oldest daughter had a running joke. I'd say something like I need to______ and she'd say put it on the list. After she got older ( 42 now ) she'd say, "I need to ____"....and then she'd laugh and say I'll put it on the list.

I, too, need my paper. Something peaceful about sitting with a fresh cup of coffee in the morning when it's quiet and making that list. Paper only Nadders. And everything has it's own list. :) :thumb:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yesterday I slept way late for me, 8:15 am. Made me groggy and foggy and took a while to get motivated.

I finished all my laundry

Clipped my nails

Got all the bills/banking/budgets done

Put away all the odds and ends on my desk

Filed the used check book and pulled out a new one, put in briefcase

Got our special inventory taken care of updated the thumb drive

Got all the ground turkey divided up and put in the deep freeze

Picked apart all the leftover Thanksgiving Turkey that I thawed for meals later this week

Cut myself off at 4pm so I could relax the rest of the afternoon/evening

Today:

Picking up The husband's chores:
Watered the garden
Watered the patio plants
Took out the trash and replaced bags
Trash to curb
Rotated couch/love seat cushions and dust busted

After work:
Did the Publix run
Didn't get to all the household laundry so came home and washed the dog bedding

Keeping up with most daily chores and whittling away at my list. Here's where it stands right now:

Walmart Run
Aldi Run

Order New Spices

Empty File Cabinet
Update Price Book (thought I put it on the computer but can't find it)
Tax Prep
Type up Emergency Action List
Type up Emergency Purchase List

Organize Pantry after BJ's Run
Move any excess to shed

Go through my closet
Donate as necessary

Re-Organize Bathroom Cabinet (need organizers from Walmart)

Peek in on Spare Room - organize as necessary

Inventory Deep Freeze

Clean oscillating fan
Clean small fan

Polish Knives
Polish All-Clad

Return shirts to Penney's

Call Peerless about Set-Screw

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
List for the day, that I started at 6am, and will do until bed, while doing 12 hours of daycare. :)

Shower at some point
Put laundry away, 2 loads from weekend.
Mop kitchen floor
Vacuum at end of day (already did this morning)
Run dishwasher once, and empty.
Clean out fridge ( tomorrow is garbage day )
Taxes after picking dd up from school, grabbing some tacos with her after.
Help dd clean her room and vacuum it tonight.
Brush dog.
Do doggies nails.
Clean toilets

Do one discussion board for homework
answer emails in saved box
figure out bills for Feb/March
Call local insurance for daycare insurance quotes.
Scrape driveway in back for ice ( lay pet salt when sun comes out)

Finish art projects for this week.
Write valentines for kids
Get borax to make some flubber.
Return sheets to Target.

Get celery and bagged salad from store while on sale.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tuesday is normally my easy day. The husband normally cooks and my only chore is to run the sweeper thingy. I think my job has been trying to kill me for the past three weeks, with no end in sight. I came home yesterday and did absolutely nothing but fix myself a casserole, eat and goof off on the computer.

Today I had my plan all laid out then the husband called (he's still out of town) saying his truck had been repaired and was ready to be picked up. My plan got ditched. I went to the dealer after work, paid the bill, moved the truck to the front parking lot. Came home, got caught up on the Village while waiting for neighbor to get home from work. Neighbor came home, we drove to dealer, picked up truck and I got right back on the Village. Leftovers are waiting. No chores done. To quote the Sugarland song:

I get home at 7:30, the house is dirty, but it can wait
'Cause right now I need some down time
To drink some red wine and celebrate
Armageddon could be knocking at my door
But I ain't gonna answer that's for sure
There's gotta be something more

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :thud:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Today I got my Publix run done. I missed the tail end of the Pepsi sale so I'm bummed about that. Today was only a few frozen pizza's on sale for the deep freeze.

Made my coffee baggies. I make Homemade Iced Coffee and use half regular and half decaf. I try to keep a few baggies ready so all I have to do is dump and steep.

Got the bills/banking/budgets done tonight so I don't have to do them on Sunday.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Started early this morning and got my Wal-Mart run done. It was a big run and they didn't have everything on my list so I'll have to hit Publix at some point to pick up the remainders.

Hit Aldi for some more stocking up and weekly groceries.

Came home and got everything date stamped and rotated in to the pantry / stockpile.

Re-organized and wiped as necessary. Some overflow (laundry detergent, softener and misc.) will get moved to the shed. All sitting by the back door. Didn't make it out back because it was drizzly today.

Tomorrow I'd like to:

Move stuff to shed
My laundry and household laundry
Add washer fluid to my car
Get chicken in crock pot
Get roast in the oven, slice, portion, freeze
Re-package bulk spices
Order new spices
Inventory Deep Freeze
Call in Rx refill

1 - 20 of 23 Posts