Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what's one thing she could do to improve things? For me it would be to learn some tactfulness. I get upset easily by conversations that I think shouldn't be discussed. ie-my sex life is not a dinner topic. (nothing on bodily fluids or functions either) ugh

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
She could move to a deserted island with no phones, no mail...
:boat:

Mine could use tact too. And a life of her own. :bang:

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Mine is no longer on this earth, but she could have used tact as well and could have not been quite so judgemental of my parenting or me.

Funny though, even with the way she was, I do miss her.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I feel very fortunate that I get along with the majority of my inlaws. MIL and I get along very well. I also think that living 2 hours away helps in getting along with the inlaws. :toothy:

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
For me it would be to realize that her son chose me and that we make decisions together, not me alone. She thinks that any time we face anything, ie. my husbands recent health problems, it is all my fault. Her son is not perfect, neither am I. I do think if we lived father away it would be better.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
It would be nice if both my mil and fil would except me and my kids.....we have been married for 16 years and they still treat me and my girls like strangers....my fil has gone so far as to make the rude comment "they aren't blood", that reallly hurt me and dh badly

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
I guess it would have to be to treat ds1 equal to the other two. ds1 was 1 1/2 when dh and I got together. He is the only father that he has ever known so to him dh is dad. We were at a funeral and dh was telling some of his relatives about the boys and was talking about ds1 when she made a comment about him not being blood related. He put her in her place later on that day. See the thing that bothers me the most is that she is not blood related to dh. She married his father when dh was 2. She has been the one to raise him through the years, but to her, dh is her son. That is why it bugs me so much to see her treat ds1 clearly different then my other two boys.

I do get along with her, but lets just say that I am glad that she lives in Florida and we only see them once or twice a year. She would drive me nuts if she lived closer. My FIL is a sweetheart. He puts her in her place when she starts up. As a matter of fact, they are coming to visit us at the end of the month. They have not been here for about 3 years. We did get to see them this past March when we went to Disney. They only stay a few days though so I won't have to worry about them wearing out their welcome or anything like that.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I guess I am one of the lucky ones as well. I get along geat with my inlaws. Actually we are closer than my own parents are. BUT we should be because we live next door to them.:) I have been married to her son for 16 years and we have never had a problem. She will take my side on every issue. She is a great MIL.

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
I never knew DH's father, he passed away when DH was 16 and MIL is and always has been wonderful. So thoughtful and giving. She is the kind of lady that NEVER lets you leave her home without something in hand, whether it be a jar of pickles or a dozen muffins!! She is a sweetheart and we are so blessed to have her. She turned 80 this year.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
My mil and I do have a history of not really feeling close( in fact, Dh and went to councilling years ago because of her,:bang: ) but I have found some peace about her in the last several years. She can be quite sarcastic and inappropriate in what she says. She also gives the impression that she is better than others frequently. But, the thing that has helped me the most, is praying for her and asking God to bless her. Even if I'm not feeling kindly towards her. I also pray that I will not feel so angry or hurt when she's acting strange, and you know what? It helps me. I truly don't feel the hate for her that I used to. It is amazing to me, because sometimes words come out of my mouth when talking to her( kind words) that shock me. I do believe in the power of prayer.:)

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
I too am blessed with a wonderful MIL. The only thing that I think she's ever been disappointed in me in was my weight problem. She is the type of person that thinks that if you don't want to have a weight problem you don't have to.

Now that I am a MIL I'm working very hard to be a good one.....:D

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
I love my dh's step mom. she is a gem. As is his dad.

His birth mom, however, I have a few differences of opinions with. We don't see her often though, so I keep my mouth shut that way I don't argue with her in her home. Thank GOD we dont live close!

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
...my mil always talks about *every detail* of *anything* she does...Our main conversation are their dr. apointements, health issues and other family's health issues (in detail ie..time, day, hour, minutes the action took place, if it rained or not, etc..)

My inlaws are very good people and very generous, but we are not close. It took 16 years before I felt accepted and I did so much to be loved...then I stopped completely. I even became tough and never visited for 2 years(protecting myself--they were very controling in our lives and I had become so depressed) and now I have forgiven them. No words were said, but I don't feel as much pain inside. When we visit, I am polite and listen to her very much. She needs it. My fil doesn't listen to her...we don't visit often, though...

*sigh*....family relationships are never easy...I wish they were...

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
OK m-i-l is fine, it is her daughter my S-I-L that drives me crazy!! But I feel I can't say anything cuz 1) I left a few issues go hoping things would get better and 2) she is now in a big depression and I don't think me telling her things she does that bug me will help her any.

I am so wishing her to get better so I can start telling her when she is bugging me.

I am so mean!!;)

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I am very fortunate ! My MIL & FIL are wonderful.... They NEVER interfere and have never been bad to me, FIL is opinionated and
I have learned NOT to discuss politics with him, we differ greatly ....... My first MIL treated me badly but I loved her anyway...

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
My MIL could use a whole new personality :toothy:
or even better maybe aliens could beam her up :abduct: ;)

·
Registered
948 Posts
Dh would hate knowing that I've posted this, but I just can't stand my mil. Basically, she's a great person, and we can get along well, but she just interferes too much. I feel that she needs to be more tactful and just needs to butt out sometimes. We also have a lot of issues regarding parenting of my step-kids... she doesn't seem to think I know anything.

I'm going to stop there although I could keep going. I try to remind myself when mil is around that she is an extremely important person in dh's life and that so am I. The least I can do is try to get along...

·
27,948 Posts
I get along OK with my MIL. She is getting more opinionated and vocal about it as she gets older though. Not as sweet as she used to be.:(

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
People do seem to change as they get older, don't they? I've decided NOT to be like my mil ( or, my own mom, in some ways) when my kids marry. :eek:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts