Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you keep or toss the toys? We keep them if they don't seem like they'll fall apart if touched. Some of the toys just don't make any sense at all and get tossed same night. We have quite a few happy meal toys here though. ugh

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
we have quite a few, we keep most of them for a while some in the van so they have something to do if he have to go somewhere and at some point they all get thrown away...
I think they are a big waste but the rule is you behave and eat all the happy meal you get a toy otherwise I keep the toys so it is a good insentive to behave and eat lunch...

Eileen

·
27,948 Posts
I saved a bunch of them from when my kids were little. Guess some of them would be worth a few cents. :)

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
I saved all the beanie babies happy meal toys, but for the most part the happy meal toys get tossed out later in the week. I have though kept ahold of the Sonic the Hedgehog mini "gameboy" type games that he has gotten the past few times he's had a happy meal... it'll make a great distraction for him for our plane trip next month. ;)

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Usually Patrick plays with it right away. If he doesn't ask for it, I hide it for another time.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I actually buy Happy Meals for myself, because the hamburger and small fries is just enough for me usually. I save all the toys and put them into my someday treasure chest that i will use in my classroom for good reward behavior and maybe homework prizes or ? But anyway, I save them for that!

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
For the past number of years, I've saved them and put them in the Operation shoe box at Christmas time.

When I did the decluttering challenge, I found a few the kids had kept. I put them into the goodwill bag.

We never go to McDonald's anymore because we've found the food to be just "so-so". We prefer A&W or Wendy's and the kids are now too old to get kid's size meals.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Usually when we go there, I'm on our way shopping, the bank or where ever. Of course, he insists on bringing them in with him and they end up getting lost anyways, because he'll put it down somewhere while I'm not paying attention and he forgets it.

I don't see a problem with him having them even if they do not get lost. He loves the Finding Nemo toys, he plays with them in his bath. Like I said, I don't see a problem with them, so I wouldn't go out of my way to find them and throw them out when he's not looking (unless he breaks it, or pieces are missing).

·
Registered
231 Posts
When my brother and I were little going to McDonalds was a big treat. We never went more than once a month at the most. In the in-between times though my Grandma would make us happy meals at home. That was back when Happy Meals came in boxes so Grandma would usually save the boxes. Then she'd make us hamburgers and fries, wrap them in wax paper and put them in the boxes along with older happy meal toys we hadn't played with in a while. We thought it was so much fun, "playing McDonalds".

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Whenever we do get a kids meal we usually substitute the toy for a package of cookies instead unless the toy is "awesome"!! :smball:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Ours go unopened to the kids a t the table next to us. ;)

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Rhiana, I love the that story about the happy meals !
What a great GM you have !!!!!!:D

·
362 Posts
Keep them

I have a friend at work that can take them to the kids in Mexico, so long as they are still wrapped, so that the kids there can have toys to play with

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I toss them as soon as possible--they never even notice.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
When my kids were little, they loved McDonalds. Unfortuanately, the toys usually became vacuum cleaner food at some point.:D

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
This post makes me laugh. DD is now 10 and we actually still have a ton of the Happy Meal Toys (various restaurants) and she stills plays with some of them, mostly the people ones, like mini Barbies, Belle, etc.

She rarely gets Happy Meals now but I occassionaly do, especially as it nears Christmas. I tend to use them for stocking stuffers for younger kids and I have a big bag packed away for DD to have for her kids (or to sell for college money one day). I keep some on hand to give whenever a child visits my house, etc. We get a lot of mileage out of those toys.

I have to say though that the quality has certainly gone done since DD was a baby. :(

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
We hardly every go to McD's now and weren't big fans of them EVER. I got most of their toys at garage sales for .05 or .10 each. There were some places that had large BOXES of the darned things! Those poor kids never, ever had a home cooked meal. How sad...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts