Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
My house cleaning and laundry get done on the weekend.

My kids are older so I don't have to get kids up and out the door. They pretty much do it themselves. We only have 2 cars and 4 people that drive so that can be a challenge.

Right now for the summer my older daughter has an intership at the zoo. Monday and Tuesday we leave the house at 6:15. I drop her off at the train station she heads to the zoo by train/subway/trolley. I head to work in the city(different part). When my daughter gets off the subway and is on the train in the afternoon she calls me. It takes both of us 1/2 hour from the time she gets on the train and I leave work to get to the train station. Then we head home about 7pm.

The rest days I go to work on my own at normal hours 8 to 5. My dh will start dinner if I tell him what to make. We work together.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
During the school year, I'm up and out by 7. Before I leave, I make sure everyone has breakfast and I try to toss a load of laundry in the washer. Dh takes our youngest to daycare on his way to work at 8 and my father and father-in-law take turns coming over each morning to get the older two to school.

After school, my father and father-in-law take turns coming over to be here when the big kids get off the bus. I pick up our youngest on my way home round 4ish.

When I get home, I toss the load in the dryer and then play with the kids. They know the rule is to clean up when they finish with a toy or game, so the house doesn't get too crazy messy. When they do homework, I do some general cleaning or light dusting or run the vacuum. They don't really need homework help right now.

We usually play some kind of card game or board game while I make dinner, then we sit and eat when dh gets home. After dinner, the kids get baths, then we read to them and they head to bed. Dh and I chill, and if there is any ironing to be done, I do it while we watch tv. I make the lunches for the next day while I make dinner.

I think that's it. Our weekends are for fun and play. :)

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks happymomof4.

My workdays consist of:

getting up at 5am
I get ready to go
empty dishwasher
rearrange laundry (if I have time)
pick up toys that DH and kids left out night before
Start getting 9yo up (she is a night owl)
pack my lunch and make sure the kids’ bags are packed and ready
finish getting 9yo up and in the bathroom
Get 3yo up
start getting DH up (he is a night owl as well)
Get 3yo dressed if DH hasn't gotten up yet
Get 9yo out of bathroom and 3yo in
Help 3yo brush teeth if DH still isn't up
Get 16yo up if he has somewhere to be
Get cat food and let 3yo feed the cats
DH is usually up but if not I let him know we are leaving
take 9yo and 3yo to MIL's
Go to work
leave work after 8+hrs
Pick kids up and go home
Give 9yo key to house just in case 16yo has door locked
3yo and I check the mail
get 3yo in the house and look at mail
ask 16yo if he feed and watered dogs

at this point everything breaks down into chaos, probably because I am a morning person.

I still need to spend time with all 3 kids, get 9yo and 3yo in the bath, cook (about 1/2 the time DH cooks), take care of bills, get bags ready for next day (usually done right before I go to bed), need to start de-cluttering, I have started homeschooling and need to get into some kind of routine there.

During the summer I normally ask 16yo to rearrange laundry, make tea, empty garbage cans, cut the grass (but only when DH or I are at home), load his dishes into the dishwasher, clean his room and other little odd things. I have to check to see if he has done his chores and if I didn't specifically ask him for a specific date he won't do it, except clean his room and take care of the dogs those are his yr round. I forgot to ask him to do anything for today because I wasn't feeling well last night and I didn't get him up this morning. So, I know DH and I will have all that to do today.

DH does a lot of the evening chores like pick up stuff on the way home, fix younger 2's plates, load dishwasher, put up left overs, get 3yo to sleep and etc.

I need a way to get my afternoons a little more organized so that everything gets done and I don't get so stressed out. When I get stressed it is like I shut down because all I want to do is sleep. This puts me even further behind.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
During the school yr I pick my MIL up and bring her to our house and take her home. I have to get the 16yo and 9yo up but let the 3yo sleep. Other than that my schedule doesn't change much in the mornings.

I tried playing games with the kids but it is hard to find something that a 16yo and 3yo both want to do/play. It is the same with books so I have to do those separate.

9yo requires my constant attention while doing HW. She is easily distracted by 3yo and has a lot of problems with writing. The dr said I help her too much but all I do is try to calm her down (it takes a long time for her to write anything, much less legibly and she gets frustrated) and get her to continue.

After we eat I usually get ready for bed and crash. Sometimes I will crochet for a little while before I go to sleep.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I don't have a husband but most of my time is spent out side of the home.

Alarm goes off at 5:50am, roll out about 6:15am. Shower et el, wake my 5yr old up, put coffee on. Dry hair, get dressed, second round of wake up call to 5 yr old. Poor coffee, pack my bag and third and final wake up to 5 yr old. Out the door by 7:05am.

Drop DS off to Ex DH and in to work by 8am. Out of work anywhere between 5 and 6pm. Pick up DS from sitter get home any where bewteen 7-7:30pm.

have dinner, pack lunches, spend a little bit of time with DS, get him ready and down for bed by 8:30-8:45pm, I'm in bed shortly after.

I do my laundery on Saturday mornings, I cook for the week on Sundays and I pick up/clean as I go during the week.

I usually run my errands during my lunch hour on Thursday. This includes stopping for gas, Walmart and grocery shopping.

My schedule is pretty simple because I keep it that way. I'm exhausted as it is, I can't imagine having a full "family" to keep track of.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Weekdays:
6am - alarm goes off. Hit snooze (yes, this is scheduled! :lol:)
6:15am - DD's alarm clock goes off.
Go upstairs & get her out of bed & moving.
Head downstairs & make lunches & DD's breakfast.
6:30am - Wake DH up.
Make the bed.
Dress myself & all that involves.
Yell at DD to get moving! :)
Set off dishwasher.
Put out roomba.
Walk the dog, check his food/water.
Check the rabbits (while walking the dog) food/water.
Shoo DH & DD out of the house & lock up.
7:00-7:15am leave for work & DD's camp &/or school.
5:45/6pm - return home.
Quick - walk the dog.
Pick up & dump roomba - put away.
Unload dishwasher.
Set off clothes washer if needed.
Make DD's dinner & feed her.
Make her do unfinished homework (during school year)
7pm - Make DD get a shower.
Make sure she's ready for next day (which usually means I put her clothes & supplies out.)
Garden. (pulling weeds, picking, etc)
Walk the dog.
Spot clean.
8-8:30pm - get DD in bed.
Prayers together. Chat a little.
8:30 - 9:30pm - Time with DH, or prep for next day (crockpot, special lunches, needlework while watching TV with DH, folding clothes, etc.)
Let dog out one last time & feed him.
9:30pm - my shower & getting ready for bed.
10 - 10:30pm - bedtime! I need my beauty sleep!

Weekends are not as crazy *whew*!
Sat morning I do my housework & major gardening.
Sat afternoon is activities with DD &/or SD, or open.
Sunday morning - church. Sunday afternoon, open!!

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
rsbs...Gotta get a roomba!!!

Reactions: rsbs

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I don't have a child of my own but I do have my father - he's 79. My days are simple, I sneak in cleaning while hes watching tv otherwise he comes in and starts after me telling me that nothing needs to be cleaned. I try to manually sweep, vac and mop once/wk. I spot clean all the time when time permits and he's not looking. Multipurpose spray cleaner has become my new best friend. I too use the Roomba when its convenient. Laundry gets done in the evenings after 9pm or on wknds.

Sorry this doesn't really answer your question - I guess I'd have to say I fit in what I can when I can. My QT for me comes after dinner and everything has been cleaned and put away and just before bed - approx 3 hours?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I wake up about 6 a.m. and leave the house about 6:30 or 6:45. I drive to the BART station and take the train to work. I work from 8:30 - 5 then commute home. I get home about 6:30 or 6:45 depending on traffic.

I serve the girls dinner and watch TV with my 4 yo while we eat. Sometimes we go to the gym (not often enough....lol). I will help my 11 yo with her summer homework (if needed) and play with my 3 yo. If showers/baths are needed, we get those taken care of. About 9 pm, I get my 4 yo ready for bed and lay down with her. Once she is asleep I take my shower, do laundry if needed, watch my DVR'd programs, have a snack, etc. Then I go to sleep around midnight.

During the school year I will do the same except I will wake up my 11 yo so she can get ready for school. I will drive her to school (currently 35 miles away but we plan to move closer in Oct. so only for 2 months) and then take BART from the station closest to her school. Then after work I will pick her up before driving home.

DH isn't working now, so he watches the girls, feeds them, cleans kitchen, does most laundry (except my work clothes), etc. Once I get home, he is free to just be lazy or run errands or whatever he wants.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Just one kid still at home but schedule hasn't changed much since they were young:

Up at 5:30 a.m., out the door by 6:30 a.m. My girls got themselves ready at a very early age and ate breakfast at the school if they were running late but usually got up early enough to eat at home. I kinda miss the elbowing each other while fixing our hair together in the morning. We had two bathrooms but we always managed to gather in the one anyhow. I don't miss the mornings we were all grouchy.

"Me time" in parking lot before having to walk in the door of work at 7 a.m.. I would listen to the radio, stare at the clouds, relax for about 15 minutes before going in. It helped me shift from home to work mode.

Work until 3:30 p.m., get kids, run any errands on the way home.

4 p.m. Fix dinner, about 5 p.m eat dinner (yes, that early, the kids were always hungry that early and so was I) then the entire evening to do whatever we wanted. Usually watch tv, rent a movie, fix each other's hair, paint our nails, and some nights we all retired to our rooms for alone time.

Bedtime was 9 p.m. on school nights with 1 hour to be in their rooms, 10 p.m. was lights out. But at 9 p.m. there was no tv, no computer, no phone and they had to be in their rooms.

During high school years bedtime was increased to 10 p.m. for bedtime and 11 p.m. for lights out. Non-school nights are 11 p.m. curfew. Senior year summer curfew is midnight. Worked well for my older daughter so will do the same for younger one.

If you are missing your "me" time, I understand, but trust me in that some day you will have so much "me-time" that you'll be sick of "me". I am, anyhow, so I've now filled my time with pets.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
krbs...that is one thing I try to remind myself of...before I know it, they'll all be gone. :(

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not missing me time. Trying to get on some kind of schedule where I can fit everyone in and get the housework done.

Still working on the afternoon schedule but I have started cooking as soon as I get home, if I didn't use the Crockpot. The kids watch TV or whatever while I cook. We eat and then when DH gets home I take dd and work on her schooling while DH takes toddler to do whatever men do, yesterday they made a dog run for the German shepherd and DH ate. I worked on laundry after I got DD started. Mostly we are reviewing right now. It is going to be a lot harder once we start going over new material. We finished about 30 mins before DD was to be in bed. I should have made her take a bath but she has had a very bad week at MIL's house. I let her watch TV with DH. My time with DH and the 2 boys are what is lacking right now. I am praying about it and still trying to get a workable schedule going. I may hand science over to DH and I take toddler to do preschool. Oldest and I like highlander and Dr.Who. I may try to work in one show a day with him. He likes video games but I just can't do that, not even when I was his age.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts