Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It just occured to me that people who like to "swap" might be interested in two of my favorite websites:

:angel2: The first one is a group that you have to apply to in order to join and be assigned a patient. You become an "angel" for a chemo patient or a senior citizen in a nursing facility. You are committing to sending this person at least one card/small gift each week, although some people send more than one. There is also an option where you can become a "card angel", meaning that you only send cards/letters-- this is easier for those of us on limited budgets!
http://www.chemoangels.com

:bfly: The other one is a site that lists the mailing addresses of sick children, so that anyone who wants to send a card or gift may do so. They feature three children each month. (I also try to include their siblings when listed.)
http://www.makeachildsmile.org

Neither of these programs is for pen pals- you generally will not hear back from the person you send something to.

I have a supply of cards and stationary at all times, so it doesn't take much to send out a quick note or card. I really enjoy participating in those sites, and thought some of you guys might too. :)

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Amy,
Thank you for the links. What a wonderful idea.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
What a wonderful thing to do! thanks so much for the links!

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I would definitely do this if I knew that I would remember to do it every week. I'd be afraid of forgetting and letting someone down.

·
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Michelle said:
I would definitely do this if I knew that I would remember to do it every week. I'd be afraid of forgetting and letting someone down.
Just to clarify, the Make A Child Smile site is a one-time only mailing, any time you choose. It's only the ChemoAngels that you commit to do weekly. I guess I wasn't too clear about that, sorry! :)

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Amy, that is such a beautiful gesture to make for a sick child.:heartsm: I wonder if they have something like this for the sick children in my own region...I will find out. Thank-you for sharing this with us.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Thank you Amy for posting these. I am going to start mailing to the Make A Child Smile kids.

·
TammyBob
6,981 Posts
Amy-Thank you for posting these links.I think I'll sign up for both.
I'll have to make me a note to send one out every week.
Maybe if enough of us do the monthly one,someone can post to let everyone else know to mail a card..??! If thats' ok with Sara?

·
TammyBob
6,981 Posts
I'm reading about the kids on the make a child smile and just boohooing! This is so sad!!!!! :cry:

·
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Canadian version

simplemom said:
Amy, that is such a beautiful gesture to make for a sick child.:heartsm: I wonder if they have something like this for the sick children in my own region...I will find out. Thank-you for sharing this with us.

I found this link on the Make a Child site:

http://www.smilesnhugs.com/

It's the Canadian version of the Make A Child site-- here you can send cards to sick children in Canada.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Thank-you Amy. I will write for sure to these children. It's so sad to be so sick, so young...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts