Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting a dehydrator for a long time. I haven't shelled out the money for an excalibur because I was concerned I wouldn't use it enough and it's quite big to store and not too cheap.

Anyway, I saw a new dehydrator at the thrift store. It's an Oster which are not expensive dehydrators, but I thought I'd pick it up ($5) and see if I use it and enjoy it enough to buy anything nicer.

Well I've had it over a week so far and haven't had time to even try it. LOL But I am looking forward to using it very soon.

Where to start, where to start? LOL

I keep eyeing some appples. But my bunny is too. LOL I'll probably go look later and they will be gone because the kids decided to eat them.

·
19,119 Posts
Congratulations!! You will love it!! Doesn't matter where you start - just use it!!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I dehydrate mostly herbs in mine. Once I do dehydrate apples, my kids eat them non-stop! I haven't been very adventurous, as you can tell.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
Congratulations on your great find!

Dehydrated strawberries make a great treat. I enjoy them plain, in yogurt or cottage cheese, or even with cereal and milk.

We also enjoy dehydrated pineapple rings as a snack. This is particularly easy, because I just open a can of sliced pineapple, drain the slices, and load the dehydrator. Once dehydrated it's a delicious treat that is very portable.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I've been wanting a dehydrator for a long time. I haven't shelled out the money for an excalibur because I was concerned I wouldn't use it enough and it's quite big to store and not too cheap.

Anyway, I saw a new dehydrator at the thrift store. It's an Oster which are not expensive dehydrators, but I thought I'd pick it up ($5) and see if I use it and enjoy it enough to buy anything nicer.

Well I've had it over a week so far and haven't had time to even try it. LOL But I am looking forward to using it very soon.

Where to start, where to start? LOL

I keep eyeing some appples. But my bunny is too. LOL I'll probably go look later and they will be gone because the kids decided to eat them.
I did the same thing for the same reason. I still have not taken the time to try it.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did the same thing for the same reason. I still have not taken the time to try it.
Maybe we should both do something. LOL

I have a very tough time carving out time for myself for anything.
But it's not like it's going to take a long time to put something in it. LOL

I might try some pineapple. I've got a couple of cans of rings. I rarely use rings for anything, so might as well try it.

In my mind, I wanted one to help prevent food waste (produce). I know once I start, I'll be dehydrating everything in sight. LOL I've just got to Do it.

It's currently just sitting there and has its own little voice that keeps saying hellllooooo remember me? Hopefully, I don't shove it in the closet to shut it up. LOL

·
Registered
904 Posts
BEEF JERKY!!!!!!

You can make the best beef jerky ever!!

When my wisdom teeth were coming in I would make large batches of that and use it to teeth, it helped greatly.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Yum

Ditto--on the jerky. Just be sure to have a good place to hide it or it disappears faster than you can make it..at least in my house it does. Pineapple and berries work great and pretty fast to do. Good score on the find.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I had one of those cheap dehydrators, dried everything, especially when i had more extensive veggie gardens. I think I still have zucchini somewhere in the back of the fridge (this was before food savers and such machines). Great in soups - nicer texture than frozen. Same with strawberries. I like the sundried tomatoes better than the ones I made, which were really very dry although I throw those into sauces.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
What kind of meat do you use for jerky?

Saule;
What do you mean you liked the sundried tomatoes better than the ones you made? Did you make them in the dehydrator? Do you have the recipe?

Sara;
Just got a book out of the library Drying Foods by Ricky Gribling. I've had other books out and I like this one. You might want to check it out of the library to see if you like it.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just added pineapple, carrots, grapes, apples and Roma tomatoes to the dehydrator. Let the drying begin! LOL

I read reviews and this dehydrator is rated low, so I am hoping it doesn't die before finishing a batch. A lot of reviews said it died within 15 minutes of using it or after the first use.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I hope it doesn't die on you!! I use mine for everything. DS loves the yogurt roll ups and they are sooo easy! Enjoy! :)

·
Registered
504 Posts
I use the cheapest beef type steak I can find. Usually like a chuck or london Broil is my favorite. Every summer once or twice they will put the on sale for 1.98 pd. I buy tons when they do. So far this year haven"t had the sale. I then marinate it for a day in fridge and then dehydrate. It is so good...but like I said my children find it and it is gone. I have hidden it in freezer and that still have found it. lol

Reactions: craftypam

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
What a great find........congrats.

Just experiment..........with kids you will want the 'fruit roll up trays'.........or use saran wrap........but they are fantastic for those.

Apple roll ups are fast, easy, and healthy.........if you don't have homemade applesauce.........grab a store brand that you like, pour it on the trays and turn it on........peel them off at the end, wrap them up............if they get that far!!

I tend to lean more for the fruit than the veggies....but I do both. A GREAT WAY to save celery before it goes bad.

And don't forget to try pineapple..........

1 - 17 of 17 Posts