1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
29 Posts
I wish they had included the menu they had in mind, or even the full ingredients list for some of the dishes. For example, what all went into the potato salad? It says "homemade potato salad", so it at least calls for potatoes. Are they only buying 2 lbs of potatoes? Does the potato salad have celery, onions, hard-boiled eggs, mayo? And the lemonade -- was the lemonade from a mix, or did it require buying lemons and sugar? It's all so vague and the amount of money spent would make a big difference depending on how things were made.

Also, that list seems super heavy on the meat. Do they really need chicken AND pork chops AND burgers? Wouldn't one or two protein choices be sufficient? It certainly seems like money could be saved there.

Where are the vegetables? There's not even lettuce or tomato for the burgers. Are they also assuming that people already have ketchup and other condiments at home?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
would cost me a lot more then that if I did it their way ..the meat would alone. but I can spend $60 on a nice bbq easy. hamburgers, hotdogs, depending on who is coming..if veggie option.. chips, dip, basic veggie platter. potato salad never is huge around here so justs sm amount or pasta salad too. plus fixings.. why do you need strawberries but not shortcake..but cookies? I think we are all creative enough to come up with a $60 menu

·
Super Moderator
20,207 Posts
I'm guessing the portions are based on the serving sizes listed on packages, which, for things like potato chips, aren't going to work out in the real world.

Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall seeing beverages on the list. Like pop for the kids, maybe sun tea, and beer for adults.

Seems like the reporter threw together a random list instead of a real menu.

Where's the watermelon?

·
Registered
10,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There was lemonade on the list. 2.5 quarts for ten people. That's one tiny cup per person.

The Farm Bureau list was stupid and unrealistic. 9lbs of meat for 10 people? Plus a lb of cheese? Get out of here! 2lbs of meat will make 10 burger patties and you only need 1/2 lb of cheese to put on them.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
yes it was weird cus even if you get some stuff for people who don't eat meat..well pack of veggie burgers or dogs isn't much. I just looked again at it..8 buns but 10 people? and center cut chops ..the most expensive. think it was just something half assed done to get an assignment out. of course depends on who it throwing the bbq. dh would be just chips, pop, dogs, and burgers lol... it was a surprise...I said you need veggie plate plus etc. he was well others bought it. said not to count on it and others did it cus women always bring something. he meant well :)

·
Registered
547 Posts
I love these sorts of silly lists! We could all do better and come up with a realistic list and price. It is like whoever made the list had never hosted a picnic or meal of any kind. My family always estimated a pound of meat per guest...and we digress on leftovers for days! Not just one meal. Who are they serving with all that meat, 8 buns and one puny bag of cookies?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts