Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OMG!!! I was headed to bed and went to the bathroom to wash my face. I got my face all sudsy and was rinsing, i reached over to get a towel and see something out of the corner of my eye...in my bathtub....a big ol bug...!!!!:yikes: it was long like a caterpillar, had long thin antennae, lots of legs...at least twenty or more on each side....stripes running the legnth of its back...black and a yellowish....legs were thin and long like a daddy long legs...and the body was about an inch and a half long...legs were long too....i didn't notice if it were hairy like a caterpillar...

I started hollering for dh. Dh responded by telling me (from the comfort of our bed) that i am probably looking at a little bitty spider. I said no im not it isn't a spider (they scare the beegeebies out of me anyway) that it was huge, come kill it. he said, it is just a little bitty spider, kill it. So i got mad now. I told him if it is a spider then come kill it himself. So finally he grumbled his way to the bathroom. he actually flinched backwards when he saw it. "Told you it aint no itty bitty spider". He agreed and went to kill it. (i almost interjected here to get a pic of it...but he slammed it with a magazine)I asked him what it was and he said he had no idea....go get the Raid. so i sprayed the baseboards and window sills of our bath room, and around the edges of our vents in there.

Now I am so freaked out ( I hate spiders, bugs, and snakes...slugs.....all those things creep me out and give me the heebie jeebies...but not bats...go figure), i feel like there are bugs all over the place now....ickky

anyhow i thought i would get this off my chest here, and ask you all... What is the creepiest thing you have found in your house? And how did you react when you found it?

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should add that the scariest ever that we ever had in our house was when we lived at Ft. Irwin Ca....near Barstow CA we had Black Widows, Vinegaroons, and scorpions in the house at various times...no wonder bugs freak me out, huh?

Here's a pic of a bug very similar to what i found in my bathtub tonight:

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
here is what i found out about this creepy thing: (I don't know how to do the quote function)

House Centipede
Centipedes are common arthropods with long, flattened, segmented bodies with one pair of legs per segment. The house centipede is up to 1 1/2 inches long and has 15 pairs of very long, almost thread-like, slender legs. Each leg is encircled by dark and white bands. The body is brown to grayish-yellow and has three dark stripes on top.
Though house centipedes are found both indoors and outdoors it is the occasional one on the bathroom or bedroom wall, or the one accidentally trapped in the bathtub, sink, or lavatory that causes the most concern. However, these locations are not where they normally originate. Centipedes prefer to live in damp portions of basements, closets, bathrooms, unexcavated areas under the house and beneath the bark of firewood stored indoors. They do not come up through the drain pipes.

House centipedes feed on small insects, insect larvae, and on spiders. Thus they are beneficial, though most homeowners take a different point-of-view and consider them a nuisance. Technically, the house centipede could bite, but it is considered harmless to people.

House centipede control consists of drying up and cleaning, as much as possible, the areas that serve as habitat and food source for centipedes. Residual insecticides can be applied to usual hiding places such as crawl spaces, dark corners in basements, baseboard cracks and crevices, openings in concrete slabs, under shelves, around stored boxes, and so forth. Residual insecticides available to homeowners include aerosols or hand pump products such as the "ant and roach killers" and "home pest control sprays" and dusts such as boric acid. Centipedes discovered outdoors should not be controlled.

I should add that this had a pic like the one i had above so i am assumiing what i had was a house centipede.....

:yucky: :couch:

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Melissa, thats probably what you had and I hate those things with a passion. If my dd would see it, she'd be hysterical.

I don't blame you for being upset.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
We have them some times. We live out in the country. They are pretty much just a pain in the butt. When I see them, I kill them. They don't do any harm (at least not yet). I don't really have a wet damp place in my house except under the house in our crawl space. I guess that is where I will have to start with a treatment. There is nothing worse then watching tv and seeing one go running across the floor. I actually killed a little on on the wall the other day. Good luck

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Robin got bit by a black widow spider several years ago, VERY PAINFUL ordeal for her !!!!!!!!!! I got stung by a scorpion 20 years ago, also a painful experience......... I hate venomous insects !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
The black widow was awful, but still I would stand up and try to kill it...Potato Bugs..oh heck no Irun

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
ick ick ick! I HATE bugs. (I include spiders in this category. LOL) The ugliest bug I have ever seen is a tie between an earwig and a vinegaroon spider. I think the vinegaroon is the worst though. They are almost clear sometimes! eeewwww:eek:

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
We had those in NY. I hated them. Here we have earwigs and they are scary too. The bugs that have too many legs freak me right out. The ones that look prehistoric do too. I can't shake that grossed out creepy crawly bug feeling for awhile either. :(

Last year we lived in a duplex in the country and had mice. :eek:
I saw one run in the kitchen once and flipped out. I couldn't sleep just thinking about it. I felt something touch my leg in bed and it was Zachary's toy, but I screamed thinking it was the mouse. :toothy: yuk yuk yuk.

·
Registered
895 Posts
EWWWWWWWWWW!! That picture is sooooooo big. :eek: :eek: :eek: LOL!:toothy:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts