Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My schedule is a little full and I am not sure what I want to do with these apples. I have 2 boxes (maybe 2 bushel worth). My grandparents had 70 boxes off 2-3 trees and sent me home with 2 boxes last weekend. Now I am looking at my schedule--Saturday we go on vacation for a week, get back and that week is my twins' birthday party and Thanksgivng and usually it's all downhill to Christmas---So I think I need to get these apples done before I leave this weekend!

My husband loves pies so apple pie filling would be okay. I try to do low-sugar items so I would love applesauce or apple butter. I don't have many pints but lots of quart jars. I could afford to buy some pints if I need to. Also I have a dehydrator but have not done apples before. I also have room in the freezer. A friend and I spent 2 days doing 5 bushel peaches in September but I can't afford 1-2 whole days because I need to totally clean the house--my dh is going crazy about the mess.

Any suggestions?

TIA,

Catherine

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Catherine, I just finished 2 bushels of apples! I spent most of the time peeling and coring them :toothy:
I did
Applesauce
Apple Butter
I dried some in the oven on parchment paper
Apple Pie filling
I also blanched some and just scliced them tossed with a bit of lemon juice and froze them.

Good luck and let us know what you do with them!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Apple butter in a crockpot is easy and it can be frozen.

·
Registered
805 Posts
apple butter would use up a bunch without a lot of mess, but you could also do a pot of apple pie filling up and freeze it in two cup batches....ready for pie crusts, cobblers, crisps....

If you have a dehydrator, put your peices in a bowl of lemon juice water before you dry them and then they won't be very brown when their done (if you care - I usually don't)

juice. It takes a lot of apples to make juice. It's pretty yummy

babs

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I just got another box last weekend. Need to get busy! I just have a bronchial virus or something.

Catherine

1 - 5 of 5 Posts