Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until November 22, Monterey Bay Spice Company is offering free shipping. I have used this company before and been very pleased. I use cooking herbs, but they have all kinds of herbs, spices, essential oils, and similar items. Their prices are very reasonable. Recently I bought 8 oz of dried chopped onion at Kroger - it was between $5 and $6. A pound from this place (one of the things I have purchased before) is $3.80. Bay leaves, 4 oz = $1.84 for broken leaves, $2.40 for whole. To compare, a bottle of McCormick bay leaves is just over 1/10 of an ounce. Especially if you have someone to share an order with, you will be paying pennies. There is apparently no minimum order required for the free shipping. The code is FREESHIP12

Specials - from MB Spice Co

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Thanks DC..........you have hit on one of my weaknesses......:thud: Love playing with spices.

Looks like they have pretty reasonable prices too............will have to check it out.

Their dill seed was very reasonable and it can be hard to find here...........dill weed is everywhere.........but not dill seed!

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My last order was around three years ago. I split what I got with three people - I just gave the stuff away - and it was time for a new order. It's mostly gone except parsley, and, needless to say, what's left is quite dead. I only had one disappointment. Savory was on my list when I started an order a couple of weeks ago, but when I looked at shipping, decided it wasn't worth it. I don't think shipping was nearly that high when I ordered before. But when I went back to order with the free shipping, the savory was out of stock. That's probably the hardest one to find that I use. I don't use anything exotic. I guess I'll just be substituting marjoram - or paying a king's ransom for a little bottle.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Savory was on my list when I started an order a couple of weeks ago,
How about fresh?

Savory is a hardy plant and you should be able to grow it in a pot. Can you do that? Have a patio?
I have a plant in my garden that is about three or four years old..........and keeps coming back. (same with sage, thyme, and lemon thyme)

will check some of my 'spice places' and see what the $ is............I have never ordered it.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
You made me curious..............and I hope my 'weakness monster' wasn't awakened................they have 'savory' here.......and free shipping at $30.....have never ordered from them but they have some 'fun sounding' spices.............:yikes: ....like I need more!!!

Spices at Penzeys Spices Spices, Herbs and Seasonings N-Z

It is bad enough that I can't go into Costco w/o going down their spice aisle...............:thud: but I do like the smoked paprika!

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I grew savory decades ago when I was still at home with my parents, but I really have no place at all to grow things now. I have a patio but it gets almost no sun. Anyway, it's not as though I can't live without it - I just like to add it to beans and soups.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts