Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there!

Some of you might already know about this netowork, but if not, check it out...there is a group in most major cities (look for them under Yahoo groups). Freecycle allows you to pass on used items for free to people who need them, and to be the recipient of free used items that you need.

I just joined the one in my town, and can't wait to start the process.

Janet

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I LOVE Freecycle! I have been a member for a couple of years and have found so many great things for free and have been able to get rid of many things we no longer needed. Happy Freecycling!

--Michelle

·
Registered
900 Posts
I love Freecycle! It has been wonderful for us and to us.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Love, love, love Freecycle.
Have given and gotten. ;)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Freecycle is awesome! I got an upright freezer through a freecycler! I've given away and recieved awesome things! Saves tons of money! And it keeps things out of the dump! I tell everyone about it and have hooked many people to it!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Cool! I'm gonna check it out...don't know if it's available in my area, as I'm in a rural area. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
339 Posts
We love freecycle. We have gotten the worlds most comfortable couch, an almost new loveseat and bikes for our kids.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
I posted about Freecycle about a month ago. Love it and have always found success!

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Freecycle is awesome!! I have gotten rid of lots of items through freecycle without having to leave the comfort of my home. Otherwise these items would have ended up in the landfills or at Goodwill. I have also picked up some almost new Nike football cleats for DS#3 for free. It's a win-win situation!

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have given away away alot of things as well as received many things on freecycle. I think it's a win sitution for everyone.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I have gotten a couple things from freecycle - haven't been able to donate yet. Hopefully that will change soon.

I do think it's a great idea. One thing about mine, there are some people that seem greedy - always asking for wants. I only posted ONE want - didn't get it. I have only requested one thing so far and did get it - she even threw in some extra stuff too.

I agree Freecycle is wonderful.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I like getting things from Freecycle. I don't like giving things away.

For example, we tried to give away a huge garbage bag of our daughter's old clothes. People kept calling and emailing and saying they were going to come get it and all of them flaked out and wasted our time. This has happened every single time we have put something up to give away.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Sonnenwende -

This is the very reason I stopped using Freecycle. I had several items I offered on Freecycle, hoping to get them out of the house before we moved. A bike, a sofabed, other furniture, dishes, clothing, etc. Every single offer was met with several e-mails from people wanting to pick the stuff up. I set up a weekend that stuff could be picked up, and the people let me know it was acceptable for them.

Not one of them showed up. Not a single one. I sat at home all weekend waiting for people to come get the stuff, with my brother waiting to help load the couch when people arrived to get it. I got disgusted with it after that and stopped using it.

I'm glad it works for others, though. I just got tired of people making arrangements to come get something and not showing up.

·
Registered
285 Posts
sonnenwende-suebeehoney
I'm sorry you have had such bad luck with freecycle, I wonder if it's a problem in your areas.I have given away loads of stuff and never had a no show but I have heard some of the members complaining about it.It is so rude of people to say they will come and then not show up,I would also give up on it,but I would take my things to a charity drop box.
I had a big collection of knitting pattern books I was going to post on freecycle but instead I went to the yarn shop and asked if anyone there would be interested and the owner took them for the knitting guild,we were both happy

·
Registered
110 Posts
Freecycle is great. Hubby loves that people haul our stuff away! Our treasures rec'd have included The Tightwad Gazette, a stainless steel sink, and a dog house.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I'm a true believer in FreeCycle as well. I'm subscribed to three groups. My best catches have been a treadmill, a sewing machine, and a new couch (which was really big and hideous green, but was for the dogs' room, so everyone was pretty happy).

When I got the sewing machine, it did not come with a cabinet, but the next day, someone offered a cabinet for a Singer sewing machine, so I ended up with both - sweet!

·
Registered
539 Posts
I've been freecycling for about two years and I think it's the best thing since sliced bread!!! Just a few things I've received
-Atleast three hundred items of clothing for myself, my DH and two growing children.
=A treadmill
-oriental rug=
=toys
=rice cooker, coffee grinder, fake ficus tree
The list goes on and on
EVEN BETTER" I've gotten rid of tons of unwanted items such as tons of clothing which was outgrown, kitchen items, toys, kid's shoes, sports equipment.
Just the other day, I received ten brand new Fruit of the Loom tshirts for Hubby.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I both like and dislike Freecycle. We've given away many many things. I despise clutter, so this is by far my most common use of the service.

I've gotten things too. Usually when I request things, which I don't do that often, no luck. But hey, that's ok. I did grab a gigantic bottle of Biosilk Hair Serum last week. Those bottles go for $40, so it was a great get. Just saw it at the right time.

Why do I dislike Freecycle? As others have mentioned, the flaking out and not picking things up is really unacceptable. It's so inconsiderate and so annoying. People will say they want something and you will reply with directions etc. Then, a week later, they email you and are like "oh I didn't check my email." Well? Then why did you try to arrange a P/U? No follow through.

But overall the positives outweigh the negatives.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I typically get more than one response when I post something, so I keep a "runner up" list and let them know how many people are before them in line to take the item. Typically, if the first person flakes (about 40% of the time), the second person gets it. I ran to fourth runner up once, which probably amazed her. I also spam filter anyone who flakes out on me, so I don't end up dealing with them in the future.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts