Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Find a Freecycle near you........

http://www.freecycle.org/

The worldwide (!) Freecycle Network is made up of many individual groups across the globe. It's a grassroots movement of people who are giving (& getting) stuff for free in their own towns. Each local group is run by a local volunteer moderator (them's good people). Membership is free. To sign up, find your city by clicking on the region on the right. It will generate a automatic e-mail which, when sent, will sign you up for your local group and send you an response with instructions on how it works. Or, go directly to the webpage for your city's group by clicking on your city's link on the left. Have fun and keep on Freecyclin'!

The Freecycle Network is nonprofit organization whose mission includes keeping good stuff out of landfills and helping strengthen local gifting & recycling communities.

The Freecycle Network was founded in May 2003 to promote waste reduction in Tucson, Arizona and, in doing so, help save desert landscape from being taken over by landfills. It has since grown a bit to encompass nearly 30 countries and hundreds of thousands of "freecyclers" across the globe. Freecycle provides individuals and non-profits an electronic forum to "recycle" unwanted items. One person's trash can truly be another's treasure!

One rule: everything posted must be free. Whether it's a chair, a fax machine, piano, or an old door to be given away, it can be posted on the network. Or, maybe you're looking to acquire something yourself? Respond to the posting directly and you just might get it. After that it is up to the giver to set up a pickup time for passing on the treasure.

Non-profit organizations also benefit from the Freecycle Network. Post the item or items you want to give away and a local organization can help you get it to someone in need.

As Abe Lincoln once said, "Think globally, recycle locally." The Freecycle Network is open to all cities and to all individuals who want to participate. Freecycle groups are run by local volunteer moderators from across the globe who facilitate each local group - Grassroots at its best!

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Have recently signed up for our local freecycle group. Dd signed up and gave away some pots and pans she no longer needed....to a recently separated mom of 3 little kids. She desperately needed them. Makes ya feel good to do that stuff.

·
Registered
215 Posts
:D I am part of 2 local groups. I am amazed we still have things to give away after moving.

I gave away a bunch of kitchen things to someone just starting out in their first apartment.

Just going through the kiddoes winter clothing this weekend. My babes have grown so much this year. I can't wait to share it with others.

I love Freecycle!!!:reindeer:

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:hug2: to your dd, Lisa!

:hug2: to you, Yvonne!

·
Unix Ninja
3,209 Posts
Sara runs the one in our city. ;-)

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I belong to several in this area. I have gotten a twin sized metal bed frame, and some sheet music and gave away fencing, clothes and some other odds and ends.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts