Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
use it all the time here. i know there can be dishonest people all over, but I am lucky to have never run into any here. I have used the group to get rid of all kinds of baby furniture, baby clothes and misc, to regular household stuff and so on.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I use it too. I have yet to GET anything, but I've given a few things away. I'm not too worried about the people because I figure anyone trying to cause trouble likely won't use Freecycle to do so.

·
Registered
7 Posts
freecycle is excellent but be warned, although i have given lots of stuff away by answering wanteds I cant ask for anything yet because so far I have ony posted one wanted ad - which is good but as the thing i gave away were worth a bit im a bit offended - wish i had advertised them as offered and then the person wanting them could have had them! Everyone I have met so far seems lovely though.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
freecycle is excellent but be warned, although i have given lots of stuff away by answering wanteds I cant ask for anything yet because so far I have ony posted one wanted ad - which is good but as the thing i gave away were worth a bit im a bit offended - wish i had advertised them as offered and then the person wanting them could have had them! Everyone I have met so far seems lovely though.
I'm confused. You can't post wanted ads until you've offered a certain amount of stuff? Our local one doesn't have this rule.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I deal with freecycle all the time. Everything really moves. The only thing I can tell you is always be safe. Always meet at a mutal location, instead of your home, until you get to know the person. But other than that ours is really cool. We do a big swap thingy once a year and have a picnic to get to know everyone.
Ms Louise

·
Registered
486 Posts
Each local freecycle group has their own rules. It's not like it's a "real" national group, it more of an ideal than anything.

Find your local group and find out what there rules are.

I have given and gotten a few things on freecycle. The biggest issues I've had is no shows (people that don't show up to pick up items) and having "strangers" over to my house, in my house to get the items as well. I am not paranoid, so it really doesn't bother me about the stranger factor but I know it bothers others.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My county did not have a FreeCycle so I contacted the program and started the group for my area.That was over a year ago and so far we have never had any complaints as far as the deals that go on there. I do moderate all of the posts just to keep out spam and inappropriate offers etc... I see lots of great stuff stuff being offered.Last year, I approved a post for a man needing a kidney and he actually found one !

Take Care,
Susan

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I use freecycle all the time as well, I've gotten a few things but have given tons away, I always leave the item on my front porch so they can just come pick it up, that way they only know where I live but not what I look like or what my DH or kids look like.

If I am buying something from someone on cheapcycle I meet in an area such as the grocery store where there are other people around.

I give it a 5 star rating, never had any problems :)

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I use freecycle all the time as well, I've gotten a few things but have given tons away, I always leave the item on my front porch so they can just come pick it up, that way they only know where I live but not what I look like or what my DH or kids look like.
This is what I do too.

If I am buying something from someone on cheapcycle I meet in an area such as the grocery store where there are other people around.
Cheapcycle?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I've had nothing but good dealings with freecycle. I've a few big items away... a chair, two DVD storage shelves, vacuum cleaner. I've gotten a bread machine (didn't have all the parts but they could be ordered on ebay, but I knew that before I took it), a couple of country music posters, a bag of clothes, some tupperware/rubbermaid storage containers. I'm in the process now of cleaning out some of clothes to freecycle either the end of the week or next week. I've never got a creepy feeling from anyone I've dealt with.
If you don't feel safe, make sure someone else is home or I know some people in my area only allow pick-ups during daylight hours.

I also deal with GRswapshoppe which is a local classified ads for items under $500... from clothes to jewelry to crafts to household stuff to used cars.
I got a 25" TV for $30 just a few weeks ago. It was my SO's in advance birthday present to himself since he wanted a larger TV for the bedroom. What a steal... I mean deal!!

Good luck. Try it. If you decide you don't want to continue you don't have to continue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It is true every freecycle group is different, some want you to post an OFFER first before posting a want, Honestly don't know why, I know here in NY, doesn't make a difference doesn't mean you will get the item offered, people email others on their offers as soon as the hand hits the keyboard. I have met several people from Freecycle, not all are very nice, one i can say i still keep in contact with, a very lovely woman. I have posted a few times on my freecycle group and no one usually responds to the wants, you will be lucky if one person responds here in NY and there are ALOT of members in the NY (city) one.I am probably better off checking out the freemeets they have, which i haven't done so yet. You can go and see all the items people have brought and just take anything that you need. Which i only post when i actually need something. Though one person was very nice enough to bring me a cat carrier to my home. Since i couldn't travel. so i guess i can't rule everyone out. But as far as i can see so far and i have been a member for awhile now, offers get bombarded with emails, i know i have when i posted things, it just makes me wonder where are these people when i post for a need? I did eventually start my own group for people that are NY, NJ, PA & Ct, that have items they would prefer to sell, either due to sentimental reasons, the cost of the item they paid for it or just simply because they need the money and honestly can't afford to just give everything away. BUT i do also allow them to post offers of free things.
I say if your going to post an offer, be careful on whom Comes to your home, some people would prefer to meet someone in a public place. And if you go to pick something up, i suggest to NOT go alone. :)
Hugs, melinda

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I have used it often--the only downside I've seen is that people don't always pick up when they say they will so you may have to repost the stuff.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
My county did not have a FreeCycle so I contacted the program and started the group for my area.That was over a year ago and so far we have never had any complaints as far as the deals that go on there. I do moderate all of the posts just to keep out spam and inappropriate offers etc... I see lots of great stuff stuff being offered.Last year, I approved a post for a man needing a kidney and he actually found one !

Take Care,
Susan
That's amazing that a man actually found a kidney. How big is your group now?

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
The group in our city is almost 2000 members strong. I belong to Freecycle as well as another group which split off from Freecycle a couple of years ago which has 3000 members. Like someone else said, the only problem I've ever had is when (occasionally) someone doesn't pick up an item. In those cases, I keep a list of the emails of those who requested an item and offer it to the next person on the list. I also leave the item(s) on our porch, even if I'm home. We have given loads of stuff, as well as gotten lots of stuff from Freecycle and the other site. (Some of the things we've obtained are clothes, DVD movies such as the new King Kong, Contact, Little Big League, etc., computer speakers, sports equipment, a t.v., just to name a few.) Freecycle (and other such sites) are great, IMO.

--Michelle

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
I use freecycle frequently. I've never had a problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Freecycle Is Awesome

I have been using Freecycle for about 5 years now and I love it. I have gotten stuff for my yard sales, stuff for my Girl Scouts and given away a lot of stuff I didn't need anymore and couldn't get any money for anyway!!

Its awesome.

Kim Mitchell

·
Registered
22 Posts
I love freecycle- I've gotten so much stuff for my kids, and I've given quite a bit away as well.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts