Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that bananas can be mashed and frozen to use later in baking. Has anyone ever tried this?

If I used it later to make banana bread, would it have the same taste/texture as if I had used fresh?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I usually just peel the bananas and stick in a ziploc bag in the freezer. They come out fine. My hubby's grandma wraps her bananas in aluminum foil unpeeled and then freezes. Haven't tried it that way yet though.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Do yourself a favor and peel them first. It's a BEAR getting those soggy skins off of mushy goop!

Yes bananas freeze very well for smoothies or bread. It's the only way I can use them cuz invariably I never get around to using them when they are fresh :/

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone! I'm so happy that it will work. I have a bunch that I got on sale...and I just don't feel like eating them...or baking right now. So, after I'm done poking around this forum, I'll be freezing some :)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Glad to know this about bananas. I usually have a smoothie every day and I like to use 2 bananas. The next time that I see them reduced for quick sale, I'm going to stock up.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I have frozen them in the peel, but they are gross to get out of the peel when they are soggy. I will peel them first next time. Do they keep their color or do they turn brown after they are peeled and frozen?

·
Registered
334 Posts
They turn brown, but not a bad thing when baking.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I have sliced them (after peeling) and tossed them in a ziploc and into the freezer. They don't look the best but work great for baking, smoothies, etc....

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
when mine are beyond what the kids will eat I just toss them in the freezer whole (its when they come tumbling out and land on my foot that they get baked)

microwave for a minute and they slide right out.

I think right now I have 6-7 bananas ready to be baked.

Reactions: Nishu

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I just chuck them in unpeeled and not bagged.
When I want to cook with them I defrost them on the kitchen sink for a hour or two, break off the bottom and sqeeze the mushy banana out like toothpaste. Looks grose but makes no difference in a cake or muffins. No need to mash them this way either. lol

·
Registered
557 Posts
I freeze mine in the skins. When I need them I take them out and put them in hot water to thaw which doesn't take long. Then Icut off the end and squeeze the mushy banana out. I have a really simple recipe I got off of wwww.allrecipes.com for banana bread that I can make in the food processor and then I make mini muffins out of the batter. You don't need a mixer for it. Good think since mine died.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just chuck them in unpeeled and not bagged.
When I want to cook with them I defrost them on the kitchen sink for a hour or two, break off the bottom and sqeeze the mushy banana out like toothpaste. Looks grose but makes no difference in a cake or muffins. No need to mash them this way either. lol
i do this too once defrosted i cut off the tops with a pair on scissors .. and squeeze

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Frozen bananas make a yummy ice cream like treat. Just need a processor. Drop two frozen bananas in the processor and let it rip until you have a thick and creamy dessert! Good for you too.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Like the others said........I do it all the time.

If I don't like the looks of the skins.......I peel them and toss them in a bag.......write on the bag how many were in there.....(never more than three) and freeze. Also do the 'whole freeze thing'.....great for baking, Orange Julius, other drinks.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I have frozen them un peeled and in the peeling but perfer them peeled.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Well I always peel mine *before* freezing because it's just less messy than trying to do it after they've been frozen.

Perfect for smoothies or any recipes that call for mashed bananas, such as banana muffins/bread. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts