Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a recipe online for turkey cream soup that sounds really good - and got great reviews. Can cream soups be frozen or will the milk/cream separate out? I've never tried it, and don't want to ruin a big batch of soup with expensive ingredients like butter and half and half in it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm betting it will separate. If you plan to use it for recipes, it may not be a problem. If you are planning to eat it as is, it's likely to look, and maybe taste, a little funky.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ive frozen cream soups once they have been cooked in casseroles, but not the soup itself. I'll be interested in the responses too, or if you decide to try it tell how it went :)

ooh and if you have time / energy (I know - at this time of year???) could you share the recipe?

·
Registered
176 Posts
How about making a half batch and freezing a tiny container of it, just to see what will happen. You may be surprised. If it does separate, you can see if stirring it will fix it and see if the taste is ok. If not, you've only lost a tiny bit.

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cuteoldlady: This is the recipe After-Thanksgiving Turkey Soup Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I don't like turkey dark meat, so usually don't buy whole turkeys. But two stores have them on for .29 lb this year - how can I pass that up? I thought I could roast the breast/wings, make broth with the dark meat, so I was looking for turkey soup recipes. This one sounds so rich and good! It would probably reconcile me to days of turkey soup, which it would be for one person.

I could do a partial batch and try, as was suggested.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yes, some of the stores around here had turkeys for the .29, and I bought 2! As it will be just me and hubby for Thanksgiving and Christmas this year, definitely overkill (about 24lbs). But how can you pass up a deal on MEAT like that? I figured I would just use the meat like I would chicken in recipes etc, but keep a look out for any specific for turkey - Thank you for sharing the recipe!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I found a recipe online for turkey cream soup that sounds really good - and got great reviews. Can cream soups be frozen or will the milk/cream separate out? I've never tried it, and don't want to ruin a big batch of soup with expensive ingredients like butter and half and half in it.
dc.........I am betting that it won't be that bad. Once you have boiled the ingred. together.......they should stay together.

Like someone said.........try a small bit..........AND even if sort of looks 'curdly'...........couldn't you get it to 'merge' again with a good beating..........or do you have one of those hand blenders?

Seems like I did a milk base sausage soup last year.........looked a little 'curdly' (strange).........but didn't taste bad. I didn't even try to blend it back together when I ate the frozen bit.

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Make it without the cream and it will be fine. When you are ready to eat it, add fresh cream and warm it up.

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To add the cream as I use it is a good idea. Then I could freeze half of it. I know you can freeze milk, so I presume I could also freeze the cream, separately. I never keep milk because I just don't use it, except for a once in a while craving for cereal, and when I do that, I usually end up throwing out part of the bottle. I don't think I have ever in my life bought half and half.

Reading some of the reviews for the recipe, many of the posters cut the butter way back, which I had already decided to do. A cup of butter sounded way over the top to me.

I have a hand blender, but that would puree everything. Of course, I could strain out most of the "stuff" and then add it back in.

If life goes as planned, I'll buy the turkey on my way into work mid-afternoon. It's around 50 degrees outside and that will go down after the sun sets, so I see no reason a rock hard turkey can't sit in the trunk until I get home tonight. I don't really do Thanksgiving as such, so I'm hoping it will thaw quickly enough to cook on Tuesday - I'm off all next week and want to get all the work done early. I'll update this if I make the soup and let you know how it turned out, though over 400 reviews of the original recipe make it sound like a pretty sure bet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.