Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I put olive oil on the skin, lemon pepper and wrap foil around it like a skirt and put in crockpot. It comes out real tender. We do this with turkey breasts too.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I have cooked a whole chicken in the crockpot. However, I hadn't found this recipe and just went by what I remembered from reading the recipe before.
I will say the chicken had good flavor. I way overcooked it -- or maybe it was supposed to be like that -- it literally fell off the bone, but I guess that's better than the alternative of being half-raw. The only thing I didn't do is spray the chicken with the cooking spray. The skin wasn't crispy like I would have wanted it to be but maybe that's what the spray does.
I seasoned the outside well with Goya Adobo Seasoning (if you have never tried it you MUST -- it's wonderful -- it's found in the hispanic ethic section of the grocery store and it's similar to a seasoned salt, but better), some pepper and threw it in the crockpot over the foil balls. The drippings made wonderful gravy.

CROCKPOT ROTISSERIE-STYLE CHICKEN
(notations are from original recipe holder)

1 Whole Chicken (I cooked a 6 pound chicken)
Olive Oil Cooking Spray
Lawry's Seasoned Salt (no substitutes)
Aluminum foil

Clean chicken inside and out. Spray with olive oil spray. Sprinkle with Lawry's. Spray inside of crockpot with cooking spray. (Do not put any water in the crockpot). Roll some wads of aluminum foil into balls and put them in the bottom of the crockpot. The chicken is going to sit on these. Put chicken back side down in crockpot on top of aluminum balls. Cook on High (will not come out the same on low), 4-6 hours.
NOTE: 1 ounce of cooked chicken with the skin removed equals 1 WWP. You’ll need to weigh the chicken before serving to figure out how many ounces you have.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Mine also fell off the bone and I had to spoon it out of the broth in the bottom of the crockpot. I didn't use the cooking spray- maybe that makes the difference.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
CHICKEN

:stir:I DID MINE LIKE A ROAST, THE CHICKEN, POTATOES, CARROTS, SOME BROTH, SEASONINGS AND LET IT GO--EVERYONE LOVED IT....

·
Registered
916 Posts
I use the foil balls, too. It's to keep the chicken from getting "muddy"........I don't mind, but DH & others don't like the part that sits in the drippings..............they call it "muddy", and that's the only way I know to describe it. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ummmmmmmm Yummmmmmmmy I think I will try this with the 49c a lb chicken leg quarters from Walmart. Of course it won't be the same, but I am trying to find new things to do with chicken. I know there are thousands of different recipes, but only so many that actually stretch the chicken.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts