Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I bought canned apple pie filling but when I took a closer look, the can says fried apples. What are they? Are they like pie filling or closer to apple sauce.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Sounds Yummy to me.

I have never heard of fried apples in a can but it sounds like they might be yummy. I would think you could still use them like pie filling. In case you ever want to know, I make my apple pies kind of from scratch, I take Pillsbury refridgerated pie crust and fill it with my own mix of about 5-6 macintosh apples, sliced and peeled, 1/2 cup of sugar, 2 tbs. of flour, 1 tbs. cinnamon, and about 4 tbs. butter. I mix everything but the butter in a mixing bowl, just mix with a wooden spoon or heavy spatula, lightly until the apples are covered with the dry mixture. I let it sit for about an hour, dump it into the pie crust, top with dots of the butter all over the top of the apples, and then cover with the other crust, and bake. I personally like this better than the pie filling. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. I don't use them for pie so much but for other quick baking recipes. Cakes, muffins, breakfast foods and that type of thing. I am diabetic so I don't eat sweets that much other than a pinch for a taste. But my family sure appreciates it when I do bake something.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The apple pie recipe sounds easy. I think it would make a nice mother/daughter project for this weekend. How long do you bake and at what temp?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts