Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fried Chicken Tenders

Recipe Description
This is an easy one skillet fried chicken tender meal that my husband and kids love.​
Preparation Steps:
You need a ziploc bag for the flour and a large deep skillet with at least 1 cup of oil. I prefer Canola oil.​
Level of Difficulty:
Medium​
Time Needed:
1 hour or less​
Ingredients:
2 pounds of chicken tenders or breast sliced into tenders
1 cup canola oi
1 1/2 cups self rising flour
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 egg
1/2 cup milk​
Serves:
Directions:
First pour the skillet into the oil and let it be getting hot on a medium setting. Take the egg and milk and put it in a small prep bowl and beat together with a fork. Pour the flour, salt, pepper, and seasoned bread crumbs into the ziploc bag. Dip the chicken into the egg mixture and drop it into the ziploc bag. You can put several pieces in the bag at a time. Close the bag and coat the chicken on all sides and then drop 1 at a time into the hot oil letting it fry on each side through and through. Keep doing the steps until all the chicken is cooked through and through.

We love white sweetened rice with this and barbecue sauce for dipping. Yummy! Enjoy!​

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks for posting this recipe.

Ds#2 is allergic to something that they put in the ones you buy at the store.

I am hoping that he can eat these without having any problems.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
These turned out very well for dinner and dh remarked they "even looked like store bought" -- maybe because the bread crumbs gave a more textured, crunchier crust. Yummy!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Here's a low-fat, low-cholesterol, low-carb. version. Prep. time - 8-minutes, cooking time - 7-9 minutes. I would tend to avoid anything that calls for 1-cup of canola oil and look for alternatives.

NUTTY CHICKEN FINGERS
(source: Better Homes and Gardens NEW DIETER'S COOK BOOK)

Personal changes or hints in [----].

1/3 c. cornflake crumbs
1/2 c. finely chopped pecans [use a small food processor to get them really fine]
1 T. dried parsley flakes
1/8 t. salt
1/8 t. garlic powder
12-oz. boned skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1x3-inch strips [or pre-packaged chicken tenderloins]
2 T. skim milk

In a shallow dish combine cornflake crumbs, pecans, parsley, salt, and garlic powder. Dip chicken in milk, then roll in crumb mixture. Place in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan [line the pan with a Silpat or Reynolds Wrap RELEASE foil, for easy clean-up].

Bake in a 400°F oven for 7-9 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink. Makes 5 servings.

Nutrition: 217 calories, 23g protein, 7g carbohydrate, 10g fat, 59mg cholesterol, 178 sodium, 245mg potassium.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts