Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a starter given to me and had a slight mishap with it. The day I got it I had it on the counter in a plastic zipper baggie (that's the newer way to do it instead of a bowl). Well, one of the cats was curious and bit or clawed little holes in the baggie. It didn't look like he or she really enjoyed it since not much was gone out of the bag, so I squished the rest out in a new zipper baggie and continued with the 10 day ritual.
Roommates had never seen (1 had never heard of it) this done before (they're culinary challenged) and weren't really impressed with the yellowish-colored gunk in a zipper baggie on the kitchen counter... said it looked like a male body function... ok TMI (too much information).

Day 10 was Monday so Monday night I stayed up and made my bread. I decided since I wasn't sure of the outcome and viability of the starter I decided to not share the starters. I made 3 batches and kept 1 batch for me for starter.

First thing I made was chocolate cover cherry bread. I used chocolate pudding, cocoa, chocolate chips and cut up maraschino cherries. Was very good but I tried too hard to get it cooked thoroughly and overbaked it. I found out it does tend to be a bit gooey in the middle compared to most. Roomie took 1 loaf to work, have 1 small piece of 2nd loaf left. One roomie refused to eat it since she knew where it came from (that really irks me but that's a totally different story).

Second, I made a batch of biscuits. Basically was just the starter, flour, baking powder, egg, milk. Roll it out, cut them out, brush them with butter, let them rise for 30 minutes and bake for 20 minutes. They looked good, very flaky and moist, tasted ok but different. I'm not used to a 'sweet' biscuit. They were sweet from the sugar in the starter. Roomie liked them since he took 2 to work for lunch. I ate the rest (with help from the dog and cat of course). The last one I threw away because as with most biscuits, they get dried out and hard as a rock if they're not fresh.

The third thing I made was a fruit cocktail cake. Made the standard friendship bread recipe, added 1 can drained fruit cocktail (I might add another 1/2 to 1 can next time), baked it in a 9x13 cake pan and frosted with white frosting (canned storebought), eventhough it really wasn't necessary. Roomie and I ate it, I ate the last piece last night after I cut off the end that the dog licked and bit into when he dragged the pan to the front of the stove so he could nibble (you'd think we never fed our animals, huh?). Dog and cat gave 2-paws up on this one as did I.

Now I have another starter doing its thing. I'm going to make bread with this one so I can freeze it so I won't be tempted to eat so much!!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions for me... any combinations they like?

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I've never used it but sounds really yummy; especially the fruit cocktail cake. I got a big kick out of your story with your pets!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts