Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have a really simple recipe. DH brought home several very large cucumbers from work (coworker's garden) and I need to know the easiest way to turn these things into pickles. Nobody likes cucumbers, but hubby loves pickles. I haven't got the right spices for any of the recipes I have read online and every recipe I have read so far calls for a different spice that I don't have on hand.

I do have cucumbers, garlic cloves or powder, vinegar, onions, onion salt or powder, salt, etc. I don't mind buying maybe one new spice for this...but prefer not 3 or 4. So, is turmeric or dill spice, better? Or all spice or mustard seed? Something else? Please help.

· Registered
1,162 Posts
Does he like dill pickles? The only thiing you're missing is the dill. Oh, and use Kosher salt. You shouldn't use iodized salt, plus Kosher salt tastes better.
Here's a good recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Dill-Pickles/Detail.aspx

I have done them with the ice soak and without, and you get a better quality with the soak...

Oh, and add the onions... they are great pickled!

· Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have sea salt and iodized salt. Are neither of those good for this? He likes dill pickles, but bread and butter are his favorite. I have read sooo many of these different recipes, I think my brain is pickled. LOL I will check into the pickling spice...sounds like it should be a combo of the things I would need and don't have. Thanks!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.