Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im interested in buying a front load washer. do you HAVE to use the HE detergent? i dont use that much as it is, (1-2 tablespoons a load) so i didn't know if i could continue to use my detergent or not. do any of you have any problems using a front load machine? i read somewhere that some people were having problems using cold water with theirs because the detergent/fabric softener would gum up the hoses and such. just some questions before i go make a major purchase. thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
We have had one for 3 years now, and I have never used the HE detergent. I use regular liquid but only about 1/2 of what I used in our top loader. We have never had any problems with it. We Love it!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have had the front loader for 2 years now and love it! I really

noticed a big drop in my water bill after using it. I have the Kenmore Elite

and it holds a ton of clothes! I have always used the HE detergent, BUT

almost every brand makes a HE type and I buy the loss leaders when they

are BOGO free. This week Purex had a sale and I stocked up and paid $2.34

for a 100 oz. bottle.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I have a front load washer/dryer combo & I use regulsr liquid laundry detergent {except Tide} with no problems. I for the most part wash everything in cold water too. I really like the front loader washer :thumb:

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I have whirlpool duets(my bases came in this wek and hope to get them installed this weekend!) and I love love love them.

I always use HE soap because this washer(do yours do this) will run until there are no suds. It defeats the whole purpose of energy efficent if it runs twice as long.

I only fill my cup 1/2 way and have had zero problems or blaockage. I use liquid soap and fabric softener and have also used powder oxy with no problem.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I have a front loader and have never used HE detergent. I only use about a Tablespoon of detergent and have never had a problem at all. I also dilute my fabric softener with 50% water.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i did it. i paid off the icebox so i could buy a new washer. (on sale and 1 year no payments no interest) it should be here thursday. i just got tired of my husbands work clothes smelling unfresh. doesn't matter what i do, soak them in vinegar, wash them several times before hanging them, they always smell sour. im hoping a new washer will help. plus its an energy saver so i'll save more on my electric bill!

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
We just purchased a front load washer about 3 weeks ago and I love it! I have not had any problems with detergents yet. I use Tide and only use 1/2 of what it calls for. I know you are going to love yours!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I use regular liquid detergent, usually Arm and Hammer, no problems. Mine's a Frigidaire. We bought it at a Sears scratch-and-dent outlet some years ago--that really saved some money. I love it!

Also - I often add powders like washing soda or Biz right in with the clothes, before closing the door. There's really no other way to do it, as there isn't a dispenser for powders. I haven't had any trouble with it clumping up or anything.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ARGH! well we got it home and hooked it up. i was so excited to try it out i immediatly started some laundry. the darn thing shakes so violently during the spin cycle, i thought it was going to knock a hole in my garage. if the cord had been longer, i would have had to chase it down the street. i thought maybe i overloaded it (even tho its suppose to be a king capacity...) so i tried to do another load. same thing. took out half the clothes in that load and tried it again. same darn thing. and i noticed, even tho those clothes had now gone thru 2 rinse cycles and i barely used any detergent, i had to scoop suds out of the way just to get to the clothes. it is completely level and when you TRY to shake it or rock it, it doesn't. am i missing something in hooking it up, or did i get a defective washer??

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I heard that you have to have a very sturdy floor for front loaders. When I first got mine I had it in the basement on concrete without a pedestal and it did move a little.
When I moved it upstairs it moved all over like yours. I put it on a pedestal and have not had any problems. I do have a lot of weight in the pedestal though. Like 3-4 extra bottles of detergent and fabric softener so I think that helps it from moving all over the place.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i found out my husband didn't remove the transport bolts from the back, so im guessing it wasn't letting the shocks do their work. now that i took them out it works just fine.

·
27,948 Posts
the darn thing shakes so violently during the spin cycle, i thought it was going to knock a hole in my garage. if the cord had been longer, i would have had to chase it down the street.
Holy runaway washers Batman!
Glad you tamed the beast, enjoy! :thumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts