Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I cleaned out and inventoried the deep freezer.:applause:
Now I need to figure out what to do with about 30 frozen whole bananas besides Banana Bread.
Somehow I seem to have quite a collection of these. Going to cut back on fresh ones if this mny end up getting frozen.

Laurie in Bradenton

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I have started making banana pancakes. I use a basic pancake recipe and then I add a couple of thawed frozen bananas mushed up and some cinnamon about 1tsp to the batter. We love these, they are our new favorite pancake :). This amount makes enough for two hungry adults, you might need to double pancake recipe and add 4 bananas if you are feeding 4 people :).

I have also made banana bread muffins in the past. Same recipe for banana bread, but put them in muffin cups and bake them.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Smoothies for breakfast,maybe?

·
Registered
149 Posts
All of the above. Frozen whole bananas are also good as a snack -- of course they are better coated in chocolate and nuts but they are still good plain.

We eat a lot of bananas -- they are really rich in potassium so I never seem to have any "leftover." Every once in awhile (but very rarely) the store will put a bunch of bananas that are starting to turn in a bag and for 10 cents a pound. I try to buy those whenever they do have them and freeze them for cooking.

A tip for the smoothies -- if you add your bananas still frozen (or any other frozen fruit you may have) you won't need ice (or at least not as much). I love smoothies but can't touch the stuff -- all that fruit sugar goes strait to my head.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Frozen bananas are wonderful in smoothies. Throw in a few berries and honey to sweeten if needed. We throw in a raw egg too.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just remembered another one. If you do low fat baking you can use the mashed banana to replace the shortening, margarine, oil, etc. The same way some people use applesauce. I've done it with cookies -- a tad dry, but not bad. You really can't taste the banana.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
BANANA-OAT MUFFINS

1/2 c. butter, softened
3/4 c. brown sugar, firmly packed
2 lg. eggs
1/4 c. milk
1 c. (2 med. or 3 sm.) mashed bananas
1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/3 c. old fashioned rolled oats

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 12 (2 1/2") muffin pan cups. In large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed beat butter and sugar about 2 minutes until blended and sugar is free of lumps. Add remaining ingredients, reserving 1 tablespoon oats. Beat about 1 minute just until batter is smooth. Spoon batter into prepared muffin pan cups. Sprinkle with reserved oats. Bake 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature. Makes 12 muffins.

BANANA OAT MUFFINS

1/2 c. oil
3/4 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
1/4 c. milk
1 tsp. salt
2 mashed bananas
2 c. flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 1/2 c. rolled oats
1 tsp. vanilla

Cream oil and sugar. Add eggs and beat well. Add rest of ingredients, mix thoroughly. Spoon into 12 paper lined muffin cups. Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes.

T

·
0 Posts
Deseptively Delicious cookbook puts blended banana in lots if things, even healthy cookies.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Everyone for their help!
Tommorrow we start the day with banana waffles, gonna use Marie 78's recipe.

Laurie in Bradenton

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Chocolate chip banana cake.

1 boxed choc. cake mix
2 mashed bananas
3/4 cup choc. chips

Mix cake according to directions
add in the mashed bananas, mix well
stir in the choc. chips

Bake according to directions. Do a toothpick test to see if done.

I use a bundt cake pan when I make it. Just sprinkle with powdered sugar for frosting.

Banana nut cake

White cake mix
2 mashed bananas
3/4 cup chopped walnuts

Mix cake according to directions
mix in mashed bananas and walnuts.

Bake according for directions on box. Do toothpick test to see if done.
Frost with cream cheese frosting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts