Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you cook it? I think I would like to try it like mashed potatoes. Does anyone have a good recipe? It's going to have to be REALLY good to get it on DH's plate. He has an aversion to Cauliflower. :shrug2: TIA!

·
Registered
616 Posts
I just steam mine in my microwave steamer. All I add is a little butter, salt and pepper when I serve it.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Surprise South Beach Mashed "Potatoes"

4 cups cauliflower florets

1oz Fat Free Half & Half

1 oz I can't believe it's not butter spray

pinch salt and pepper

Steam or microwave the cauliflower until soft.Pruee in a food processor adding the butter spray and half & half to taste.
Season with salt and pepper.
Serves 4

I also love to add garlic powder to mine.

My hubby is a meat and potatoes guy and he loves this alot!

·
Registered
467 Posts
You could "cover" it with a nice cheese sauce. That's how I got the kids to eat it. I make a thin whitesauce and add grated cheese and dry mustard, salt and pepper.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I just steam it with broccoli and serve with a squirt of lemon juice, and a dash of salt and pepper.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Surprise South Beach Mashed "Potatoes"

4 cups cauliflower florets

1oz Fat Free Half & Half

1 oz I can't believe it's not butter spray

pinch salt and pepper

Steam or microwave the cauliflower until soft.Pruee in a food processor adding the butter spray and half & half to taste.
Season with salt and pepper.
Serves 4

I also love to add garlic powder to mine.

My hubby is a meat and potatoes guy and he loves this alot!

It's funny..... 25+ years ago this was a Weight Watcher's recipe. Mom used to make 'potato' salad with cooked cauliflower -- you use 1/2 potato and 1/2 cauliflower. You honestly can't really tell the difference between the two veggies in the salad.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I don't remember where I got this from (somewhere on the internet), but it tastes wonderful!!

Just Like Stuffed Baked Potatoes

1 package frozen cauliflower (I also have used fresh)
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
8 ounce cheddar cheese, shredded
4 green onion, chopped
1/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
1/4 tsp pepper
3 pieces bacon, chopped and fried until crisp
Paprika (optional)

Cook the cauliflower until soft, about 8-10 minutes; drain very well and break up the florets a bit with a spoon (I used my hand mixer and made it just a little chunkier than mashed potatoes) Mix together with other ingredients (except paprika). Pour into greased 8x8 baking pan or 2-qt. casserole. Top with paprika if desired.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-40 minutes (I did mine on the short end) until browned and bubbly

Enjoy!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I do the mashed cauliflower thing, but I use fresh. I cook it a little more than if I was going to just serve plain cauliflower -- not till it's mush because cauliflower develops a strong flavor (and smell) if overcooked.

I strain it out into a bowl, reserving the cooking liquid. Then I mash the heck out of it with my potato masher adding a little olive oil margarine spread and the reserved cooking liquid till it looks about the consistency of mashed potatoes. Then I season with a little lemon pepper.

I don't think you'll really fool anyone -- it is not mashed potatoes. It's just not the same consistency -- you can't get it as smooth.

But that said, my dh who is a mashed potato lover likes it. Of course all he wants potatoes for is to put gravy on. I think he would eat cardboard if you smothered it in gravy. He says is it not the same as taters, but is a good substitute.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts