Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Walmart bag of 24 pancakes $3.50
  • Box of store-brand (add water only)pancake mix $1.70 makes 7 batches of 8 pancakes=$.03 per pancake
  • Maple sugar to sprinkle in to make them yummy $2.97 a pouch contains 100 .5 tsps (I use .5 tsp per pancake) =$.03
  • So each pancake costs $.06 X 24=$1.44

Savings =$2.06

I know I didn't factor in time or the electricity to cook them, but I have time and I am sure the electricity is minimal. I have no idea how to calculate the cost of using a frying pan.

I use 3 bags per month ( that is if we don't snack on them and only have them for bfast)
So the savings is $6.18 in a month or $74.16 per year ($100 without maple sugar)

*plus after I use up the maple sugar I don't plan on buying anymore (it was one of my why'd I buy that purchases) and that will reduce the cost in half. which adds roughly $25 per yr to the savings

To make them in the same size you can use a egg/pancake ring or a large mouth canning ring and tongs.

Also if any one has done the calculation for homemade pancake mix verse pre-made. I would love to see it. The hm pancake recipes I have seen have eggs, milk butter etc....and IMO the mix seems cheaper, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
interesting... here Bang For Your Buck: Bisquick vs. Homemade Pancakes a comparison was done and it was tabulated to be $.22 per serving.
But it doesn't tell you how many pancakes are in a serving. I assume 3 pancakes are a serving .. that would equal $.07 per serving.

so darn close.

Anybody else?

Reactions: bridge

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I make my own Bisquick and don't use eggs, milk, etc. Although there are advantages to using eggs and other ingredients. I haven't done a detailed cost breakdown though. I know the HM Bisquick is way cheaper than buying the real stuff.

If you use a ladle, you would get pancakes the same size and not have to mess with rings, etc.

Thanks for the cost comparison. I'm always tickled to see the amazing savings DIY stuff almost always provides, and interested to learn when it doesn't save, too.

BTW, you can make pancake syrup by mixing jelly with a little water and melting it carefully in the microwave. Lots of different flavor options for not much money.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have been craving pancakes. Thanks for the information!

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have always made my own pancake/waffle batter because I do not like sugar in my batter. I've never broken the cost down, I just make it with self-rising flour, egg, buttermilk (made with out of date milk) & oil, because that's the taste I like. Don't like sweet pancakes or waffles. Don't use syrup or jelly, just butter.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
4 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup baking powder
2 1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
Mix & keep in airtight container

When you are ready for pancakes, measure some out - moisten with milk to desired consistency and cook

I keep a big tub of it ready to go in the fridge at all times. Use milk for DH's & soymilk for mine

Want to try out a small batch first?

1/2 cup flour
1 T baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 T sugar

How much easier can this be? Don't know the cost per servings, or how many you get. It's a boatload though.
I have served this to many a guest & they all take the recipe home.

(oh- and I am out of those little heart gummy things already ~ blah!!!!) I think you know what I mean... THANKS!

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
BTW, you can make pancake syrup by mixing jelly with a little water and melting it carefully in the microwave. Lots of different flavor options for not much money.
That's cool SD! I never knew that. I am going to try it. You should post this in the S/O Tips thread. I bet it would interest the other folks!

Reactions: Spirit Deer

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone!
This actually began by me loving McGriddles...........Really I would use them to lure myself out of bed and in the car to work :whistle:
But at $2.63 ea ( I think it's been a while since I got one,I know it was $2.60 something) and going out of my way (gas & miles)
I started using the Walmart maple sausage and the maple pancakes, this made each sandwich $.71
Using homemade pancakes they cost $.53/$.47 w/o maplesugar

SvS--That recipe looks pretty basic/easy. I will try it and also do a price analysis this weekend. Why do you keep it in the fridge? It looks like just stuff that I would normally store in the cabinet.

SD- I will have to try that with Strawberry jelly for DH, I bet he'll love it. Thanks. I have tried the laddle and my pancakes are always blobs of all sorts, and I want them to be uniform shape.

Reactions: Spirit Deer

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
You can also freeze pancakes and waffles in a single layer, then store in zipper bags in the freezer and reheat them in the toaster.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Thank you SvsS for the recipe. I copied and pasted it to a word doc so I try it.

You can also complete the pancake mix with the milk and freeze it in serving sizes if you really want to cut prep time in the morning.

But really - what's so difficult of adding milk. nadda.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
SvS--That recipe looks pretty basic/easy. I will try it and also do a price analysis this weekend. Why do you keep it in the fridge? It looks like just stuff that I would normally store in the cabinet.
I don't know why- you know how I like to cram things in my fridge so it stays full and doesn't run as much. I'm just a nutcase - Yes, I guess I will have to go with that one.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Thank you SvsS for the recipe. I copied and pasted it to a word doc so I try it.

You can also complete the pancake mix with the milk and freeze it in serving sizes if you really want to cut prep time in the morning.

But really - what's so difficult of adding milk. nadda.
That's how I used to do it, but DH claims he doesn't like them frozen and then reheated. (I think there is not much of a difference) - but whatever. You are right, it takes just seconds to whip up, and honestly- If I don't have time to make a couple of pancakes in the morning... I might need to start slowing things down a bit.

Reactions: Frugal Nurse

·
Super Moderator
1,958 Posts
DH and I get a giggle out of the frozen pancakes in the store. Really, how hard is it to make fresh pancakes in the morning? You can even buy the batter premade or just add water.

Even when I make my own and have left overs they don't taste as good as fresh.

We make our own pancake syrup from sugar, water and maple flavoring. I notice a big difference in how my body feels if I ever use the store bought kind that has the HFCS in it. It does a number on me. The home made does not affect me the same way.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I freeze my pancakes and have used the store-bought frozen ones. I do not have time on the morning to make breakfast. So I can throw 2 frozen pancakes and a frozen sausage in a container. throw it in my bag and take it with me. When I get to work and "wake-up" I can then go heat it up and enjoy. So the frozen ones work great for me!

Reactions: sabrelvssammy

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I freeze my pancakes and have used the store-bought frozen ones. I do not have time on the morning to make breakfast. So I can throw 2 frozen pancakes and a frozen sausage in a container. throw it in my bag and take it with me. When I get to work and "wake-up" I can then go heat it up and enjoy. So the frozen ones work great for me!
Bridge.. that's how I function. I need something transportable to bring to work and eat my BF there. My morning consists of getting up. getting dressed. feed the dog and cat. and catch the train. No time for anything else. At my desk at 6:30 am. no time to make anything. :stir:

But i do make everything on sunday and keep it in the fridge. and pancakes has been one of them.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I use a home made pancake syrup, until my bottle doesn't work any more or some one throws it out. I buy maybe 2 bottles a year, but the kids have pancakes several times a week. I just reuse the bottle :)

Pancakes to make are super cheap, and you can beef them up! Add mashed banana(that is too ripe and no time to bake), pumpkin and spice, berries, etc. I will need to try the mentioned mix, as it could save lots of time for dd15. A scoop and some milk and toss in the pan? Way less mess for mom to clean up as dd runs out the door to school.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I calculated SvS pancake recipe and this is what I got:
the small batch is $0.12 and the big batch is $1.12

This was using these costs: Flour 5# $1.19, baking powder 8.1oz $1.29 , salt 26oz $0.69, sugar 4# $1.49

So per batch(1 cup mix to 3/4 cup liquid) *assuming it works the same as the box mix this mix
would cost $0.22 (aprx makes 5 cups mix 1.12/5)
.22/8 pancakes =0.027 $.03 per pancake
(with milk .39/8 = $.05 per pancake) *gallon milk $1.99

my calculations

I am not sure you can make this recipe with water, if not the store bought buttermilk mix is less expensive.:scratch:

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
I calculated SvS pancake recipe and this is what I got:
the small batch is $0.12 and the big batch is $1.12

This was using these costs: Flour 5# $1.19, baking powder 8.1oz $1.29 , salt 26oz $0.69, sugar 4# $1.49

So per batch(1 cup mix to 3/4 cup liquid) *assuming it works the same as the box mix this mix
would cost $0.22 (aprx makes 5 cups mix 1.12/5)
.22/8 pancakes =0.027 $.03 per pancake
(with milk .31/8 = $.04 per pancake) *gallon milk $1.99

my calculations

I am not sure you can make this recipe with water, if not the store bought buttermilk mix is less expensive.:scratch:
But if you get the supplies on sale....

And what is the ingredient list of the store bought mix?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ingredients off the box mix:
Ingredients:Enriched Bleached Flour, Sugar, Leavening, Dextrose, Salt, Whey, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Shortening, Soy Flour,Buttermilk,Egg Yolk, Egg White,Soy Lecithin, Nonfat Milk, Soy Protein, Sodium Caseinate, Maltodextrin, Calcium Stearoyl-2-Lactylate.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Ingredients off the box mix:
Ingredients:Enriched Bleached Flour, Sugar, Leavening, Dextrose, Salt, Whey, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Shortening, Soy Flour,Buttermilk,Egg Yolk, Egg White,Soy Lecithin, Nonfat Milk, Soy Protein, Sodium Caseinate, Maltodextrin, Calcium Stearoyl-2-Lactylate.
Mine is healthier ~~~!!! I win, I WIN !!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts