Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Baby Shower Gifts

What is your favorite thing to give as a baby shower fgift?

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
If i know the couple or expectant mom doesnt need alot, a gift card.
If she needs everything a bag of diapers, lots of pjs differnt sizes, recieving blankets, and baby products.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
sometimes diapers, wipes, diaper cream, sleepers, onesies.
the best shower gift we got was formula!

·
Registered
708 Posts
I looooove buying baby things, so usually I browse for a couple hours and buy one or two really good quality sleepers or outfits instead of a whole whack of cheap stuff. It depends on the family and what the parents want, though.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I like browsing through baby things. I usually buy a small gift bag or box worth of things. Bibs, a small toy, onesies, an outfit, teething ring, pacifier, baby socks (booties), and I have always bought this box of trial size Johnson and Johnson products-I think it has lotion, shampoo, and maybe baby powder in it. I can't remember. I thought it was a good buy though, because they were trial size and perfect for moms to take for car trips or travel. I think you could refill some of the bottles too, so moms could fill them up and reuse them again.

·
FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob
2,161 Posts
I tend to buy something from the registry, then something I love-either an outfit or I do a box or bag of all the things baby and mom need for those first days home, nice washcloths, diapers, cream, mom's favorite chocolates etc.

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
I normally buy clothes that the baby can wear as he/she gets bigger. My rule of thumb for sizes is if it's winter and the baby is a newborn I'll buy winter clothes in the 18 mo.s range.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I usually buy blankets, rattles and other cute items that the baby would use not only now but in the future as well. :)

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
It really depends on who is having the baby. If the parent(s) don't need anything, then I buy something for the mother & a savings bond. Maybe a small baby toy too.

If someone has registered, I like to go off of that list because then I know I'm getting them something they need or particularly want. And then I buy clothes for later on down the road. I don't buy newborn clothing because I know firsthand that some babies are too big to wear newborn (my babies were 8 lbs 1 oz, and 9 lbs 2 oz. One of them wore newborn stuff for about 2 weeks, and the other one didn't at all).

I make sure to enclose a gift receipt too if possible so the parents can exchange my gift.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I've always given a pack of diapers ~ if they have a registry, I choose something from there, if not - I tend to stay away from clothes & get shampoo, baby bathtubs, etc.

My favorite baby shower gift was given to me after little j was born, it was a professional house cleaning done by a service (little j was about 6 weeks old)
It was, by far, the most appreciated gift that I recieved. I was given a card with details inside, and the appointment had already been scheduled for me - all I had to do was sit back & enjoy)

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, bumplett, wish I had gotten a gift like that. That was a VERY thoughtful gift giver!

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Wow, bumplett, wish I had gotten a gift like that. That was a VERY thoughtful gift giver!
I agree! It was a gal from work and she had 4 kids herself (so I think she knew much more than some of us) :lol:

I will always remember that gift - and if I can afford it, I will pass it along to others - so far, there has only been one child born in our family after our little j ~ so I haven't had the opportunity to yet ~

·
Registered
729 Posts
I like to get something for Mommy she seems to need alittle pampering after the baby arrives. Here is one of my favorite gifts I gave with my daughters to a dear friend. We went to walmart and got some, bibs, socks, onesies, washclothes in multiply packs. Then we got a cheap closheslines and pins and hung everything on the line. We found a cute basket and placed it all inside. we put tissuse paper on top and put a note for the them to pull the rope. It seemed like she pulled forever. I'd like to say this was my idea but it isn't I saw this at another shower and had to try it my self! Right now I have a cute idea that I also got from another shower. My daughter-in-law got a bouquet of onesis, bibs, socks and wash cloths. She gave me the box and the leftover flowers. I've already went to the dollar store and got the things to put into the nosegay. I have someone in mind, her baby willl be here early this summer.Maybe I'll post a picture when I get it complete.I think the whole thing cost alittle over $10.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I like to buy a nice diaper bag, and fill it with baby products, like powder, lotion, shampoo, wash cloths, nursing pads, blankets, and if they are using cloth diapers, I will make a few and include those as well.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
My oldest DD is due this June and for her I want to get her something she can be pampered & relax with after the baby arrives and for my grandbaby I found the cutest little shirt I want to have made with Winnie-the-pooh & a cute saying & then his/her name on it along with a mini Winnie-the-pooh back pack I got for free that I'm filling will free baby samples and other things that I'll be buying :)

·
Registered
491 Posts
I always give something from the registry. I remember I was so annoyed at my wedding when I got a ton of stuff I didn't want, and barely anything was purchased from my registry.

If I know the person, hubby and I will also get a bunch of plain white onesies and we'll make up custom onesies with funny things on them that the parents will enjoy. His best friend had a baby last year, and we made up 5 or 6 onesies with Star Wars graphics and pictures of motorcycles and stuff. His friend just loved them!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts