Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope no one minds if I start this! I think I did pretty well last week of tracking my frugal activities and hope I can continue that "doing well" streak into this week!

Sunday (so far):
~ Breakfast was toast using leftover bread from last night's supper
~ Planned meals for the week
~ Went grocery shopping--used preferred customer card and saved about $19.50. I ALSO got $.35 credit for bringing my own bags! In addition to all of this, I used a gift certificate so I only owed $53.04!!!!
~ Turned off the thermostat as today is SO nice out! I've got the windows open to let some fresh air in.
~ No lights on today
~ Gathered Christmas presents--many came from my gift box so no extra money spent there!
~ Doing laundry in cold--will hang some of it. :laundry:
~ Watching the NASCAR race for entertainment and I'm entertaining the idea of a nap!
~ Plan to work on some homemade Christmas presents later tonight after church.
~ Ate leftover pizza from Friday night for lunch today.
~ Planning on eating other leftovers tonight for supper.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Aspiringtobefrugal thanks for starting us out.

11/16
- all food from home
- only went out to grocery shop and see dad
- leftovers already packed for lunch at work tomorrow
- heat turned down
- meal planned and shopped according to list
- dh prepping part of tomorrow nights dinner
- used coupons
- got dad's coupons

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Sunday Nov. 16th:
~ Had cereal (that was on major sale!) for breakfast
~ In laws (7 of them in total) visited from Friday evening until after lunch today--this weekend dh turned up the heat to 68 to 70 depending on when people said they were too cold or too hot, so I had a hard time being frugal in the heating department. As soon as they left, I turned down the heat to 65. Once it started feeling too cold, I turned it to 66 where it will stay for as long as possible.
~ This weekend, lights were left on everywhere around the house. I didn't want to seem like an extreme tightwad, so I let it go as much as possible. My inlaws know that I (and perhaps dh) are trying to be more frugal even though I don't think they fully understand as to why or even how! Since they left, I turned off all the unnecessary lights and will try to keep them to a bare minimum to make up for all the electricity this weekend.
~ Got the budgeting software from my mil for my comptuer! Hopefully, dh will install it soon so I can start figuring our expenses out, etc. :grwave: (It's about time I get down to business about our finances!!!)
~ Used leftover dessert from yesterday (apple crisp and chocolate cake) for today's lunch dessert
~ Used yesterday's supper leftovers (a roast) and made it into a stir-fry for today's lunch the inlaws
~ Ate homemade bread at lunch that I baked yesterday morning
~ Washed a large ziploc bag
~ Used an old washcloth (instead of paper towel) for a spit cloth while sil was feeding her baby. I'm considering buying new bath towels and washcloths on sale after Christmas for my daughters' bathroom. When I do, I plan to take all the "baby washcloths" and using them for wiping up the kids' faces instead of using paper towel.
~ Selling our used snow tires (only one year old) from a vehicle we got rid of to Dh's sister and her husband. The cheque should total $400 and will immediately go into EF. I can't wait for it to come in the mail!!! :grwave:
~ Started a grocery list (will price match/buy groceries at one store later in the week to save on gas!)

·
Registered
663 Posts
I'll play -
Paid six cents for 12 rolls of TP.

Made banana bread from bananas that were going to go bad and made muffins for lunch this week.

Made lunch for tomorrow.

Lights are all off except for what I need.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Sunday 11/16:

* stayed home today, no spending
* used a few leftover apples that were starting to get bruises to make dutch apple pie - will be dessert for at least 3 days
* washed 6 loads of laundry in cold, 1/2 detergent, hung all out to dry (lots of bedding/throws today!)
* dinner was leftovers from last night
* heat on 60
* all lights off during day, only 2 lamps being used tonight. At bedtime, everything goes off - including the power strips around the house)
* clipping coupons
* checked sale ads in todays paper for any good deals on possible christmas presents for the kids - weren't any this time
* took baths/showers during the middle of the day, when sun had heated up the house, instead of waiting until later and cutting the thermostat up

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
11/16

~ washed in cold
~ used homemade cleaners
~ entertained ourselves at home
~ found some leftover pasta for the dogs so I didn't have to run to the store just for dog food
~ prepped lunches for tommorrow
~ heat on very low
~ menu planned for some of the holiday stuff coming up

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Sunday

~washed laundry in cold
~hung some laundry to dry
~I turned the heat off this morning and it has been off all day. I hope we can make it through the night without it, but I will turn it on if I need to.
~DS#2 made a big batch of chocolate chip cookies
~Not frugal, but it will pay for itself soon--bought DS#1 a thermos to take his own coffee to work since he works the graveyard shift and he ends up drinking a lot of coffee. So, it will be frugal for him.
~paid bills online

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Sunday Nov. 16th:
~ In laws (7 of them in total) visited from Friday evening until after lunch today--this weekend dh turned up the heat to 68 to 70 depending on when people said they were too cold or too hot, so I had a hard time being frugal in the heating department. As soon as they left, I turned down the heat to 65. Once it started feeling too cold, I turned it to 66 where it will stay for as long as possible.
~ This weekend, lights were left on everywhere around the house. I didn't want to seem like an extreme tightwad, so I let it go as much as possible. My inlaws know that I (and perhaps dh) are trying to be more frugal even though I don't think they fully understand as to why or even how! Since they left, I turned off all the unnecessary lights and will try to keep them to a bare minimum to make up for all the electricity this weekend.
We have to accomodate people like that too. I have 3 relatives coming for a week next week and am just planning on raising my heat and accepting the higher electric bill. It is part of having guests, even if it is painful and I see money going out the door.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
- dinner from scratch
- breakfast was random breakfast leftovers from the weekend
- washed ziploc bags
- lights off as much as possible
- had a fire yesterday to help warm the house
- keeping heat at 65
- clipping coupons
- got a ton of batteries for free from CVS
- returned library books on time today!

Jennifer
getting-ahead @ blogspot.com

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
11-16
-sick, saved lots of energy by resting most of the day
-heat stayed down, I rested under two blankets
-ate leftovers
-only went to church
-no spend day

11-17
-wore socks and sweater instead of turning up heat
-made sausage balls from leftover sausage and still have some for breakfast
-more leftovers for lunch
-washed out ziploc bags
-washed one load in cold water
-showered in the afternoon
-only went to visit my parents (5 minutes down the road) for entertainment
-no spend day

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Mon, November 17th:
~ Stayed home (except to drive dd1 to and from school), No Spend Day #7 Hurray!!!
~ Ate leftover pizza for lunch
~ Washed a large ziploc bag
~ Kept the house at 66 degrees
~ When my driver's side windshield washer fluid wouldn't squirt, I phoned a repair company. They said to come in and they'd take a look at it. Instead I followed dh's advice and waited it out. By the time I went to pick dd1 up from school, it worked again! (Must have been frozen. I'll need to by the windshield washer fluid for colder temperatures to keep it from freezing.) Saved on time and gas and possibly a repair estimate that wasn't even needed.
~ Renewed library books online; got a few library books ready to return tomorrow
~ Kept the lights to the bare minimum (very hard to do because it was quite dark throughout the day and got very dark at around 5:30!)
~ Bathed the girls in the same bath water

·
Registered
956 Posts
Monday 11/17:

* stayed home, no spending
* all meals from scratch
* heat on 62 (and I'm still freezing - I'm just not acclimating well this year)
* no unecessary electric usage
* left oven door open after use (after it was cut off) used heat to help raise temp in house for a bit

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
stayed home
tv off listened to radio on batteries
ate leftover chicken and noodles for lunch yummy
made dinner at home
carpooled to church for bible study

·
Registered
110 Posts
Never done this kind of thread but I am gonna try:

For breakfast usual greentea, not a breakfast eater
Took youngest dd to school on the way to work.
For lunch had left overs
For supper made meal from scratch.
For entertainment bribed youngest to do homework with a little tv then tv off.
Thermostat on normal 68 but it's still warm here in the south for now.
Only lights on are Oldest DD who is doing college homework and kitchen where I work at night.
Put extra blankets on beds for the cold weather and flannel sheets a couple of weekends ago. (just in time temps to drop in to the 20's)

·
Registered
5,898 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Monday:
~ Ate at home for all meals
~ Put up leftovers for a meal later this week.
~ Lights off until dusk
~ Watched TV
~ DH surfed the Internet
~ Thermostat on 58 until it got really chilly so we cranked it up to 62

Tuesday
~ Ate last of the homemade (bread machine) bread for breakfast
~ Hot tea and water at work
~ Was treated to a lunch out by an old co-worker
~ DH shot a HUGE pheasant so that will make a nice supper sometime down the road
~ Eating a frozen pizza bought on sale for supper
~ Lights off until dusk
~ Thermostat on 62
~ A no-spend day!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Tuesday 11/18:

* stayed home, no spending
* heat on 60 (65 for about 30 minutes at bathtime)
* all meals from scratch
* no unnecessary electric usage
* got electric bill today and it was $80.75 less than last bill (I get billed 2 months at the time, so a savings of a bit over $40/month) Unfortunately, with the current bitterly cold weather, things won't be as great next time! :(
* kept warm during the day by staying busy doing chores, kept the kids running around and active inside for same reason. We're piling on the blankets tonight (current wind chill is 20F and will be close to single digits by daybreak)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Nov. 18th:
Very cold, resisted turning up the heat.
spend day, but I did do it all on the way home from work
(oil change and fuel injector cleaning deal--save gas money, and picked up holiday portraits--$20 for all the relatives Christmas)

I also ate out tonight, but it was for fundraiser group I am a board member on ($24 for a family of 3)

overall, a bad day, but it is ok. i should be done besides groceries and gas for the month

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Tues, November 18th:
~ Put my daughters' pyjamas back in their drawer to reuse
~ Stayed home in the morning (except to drive dd1 to and from school)
~ Made lunch from leftovers in fridge
~ Kept the house at 66 degrees
~ This evening I ran a few errands while dd1 was at Awana. Price matched some good deals. (My favourite was using a $2.50 off coupon on Stayfree pads when the sale price was $2.87. Paid 37 cents plus tax for each package of pads! I bought 8 packages! Yah!)
~ Kept the lights to the bare minimum

1 - 20 of 30 Posts