Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have NO money, I really need to get going on this!

~hang laundry to dry
~wash in cold
~list a couple things on ebay
~crochet for entertainment
~reading library books
~meals from home
~windows open for air
~no heat or a/c
~making bread at home
~making cookies for snacks

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
12/30/07
*staying home to do chores. no spending and no gas used
*leaving heat set as is (67/68)
*laundry in cold
*hang dry half laundry
*dinner rack of beef roast DH got, mashed potatoes, peas and left over salad. Fruit for dessert
*taking down Christmas tree and tossing anything broken ( dogs knocked down the tree.....sigh....)
*cleaning out old holiday decorations and getting rid of those I no longer use. Declutter.....
*sent for a few samples
*Will read and/or watch DVD for entertainment the next few days

·
Registered
347 Posts
~Also staying home(except for taking kids to school, but school is only a mile from home)
~wash in cold
~hang as much as I can to dry(don't have outside line)
~use as much leftovers and things that I already have for supper
~try to declutter somethings

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
i am sooo excited the holidays are over and the challenges are on the forefront of my mind!! this week i will

eat all homemade meals...even packing daughter and hubbys lunch this week.

declutter our home...

exercise M-F...this will help with not wanting to buy junk food and such

keep house at 70 degrees and watch about the lights being on

cruise thru the sale ads and buy only what is needed

stick to my cleaning schedule...this will help with not shopping and keeping busy

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
~Clipping the proctor and gamble coupons that were in the paper this morning
~Going through coupons and cleaning out the expired ones
~Took advantage of Target's 75% off on Christmas related items. We found a $30 picnic set for $7. We can use it for camping, fishing outings, to save money on the days the boys have track meets. I think it will pay for itself quickly!
~We also picked up a new tree topper and next year's Christmas cards.
~Washing in cold water
~Eating leftovers for dinner
~Balancing checkbook

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Today I:
~am serving leftovers for dinner
~have created a meal plan for the week that does not include any of the food that I bought this morning :)
~am doing laundry in cold water and hanging dry many, many clothes
~will be getting everyone outside for a walk so our computers and the rest of the electricity can take a break
~lights out when we aren't in a room

·
Registered
25 Posts
k just so i understand this right, frugal challenges are for the whole week? not just daily? ok i can do this:)
*planning my grocery shopping for thursday ( i buy a sunday paper, for the coupons in walgreens adds, and in riteaids adds and in fred meyers adds) will be shopping at albertsons---my favorite store, best meats, produce always good, always honors my bad redemptions, doesnt stop and search my bags after ive paid and am walking towards the doors, takes competitors coupons <no price matches, but competiors coupons is GOOD!> AND manufactured coupons AND thier own store coupons for the same item! woo hoo:) oh and did i mention they have the best customer service?
*washing laundry in cold, with my "homemade soap" (this is the purex 2 times concentrated, with cheapy 2x fabric softener, puttting my "soap" into a clean 20 ounce peanut butter jar, 1/3 laundry soap, 1/3 fabric softener, and the rest of the way with water, using the lid as measurement, i get 10 loads of laundry out of one jar.......am trying to figure out exactly how long the bottles of my soap lasts
oh there i go rambling sorry....thats about it for today.......
have a wonderfrugal day
latte

·
Registered
576 Posts
December 30:

So far:
*laundry in cold, 1/2 detergent, hung to dry
*(We were planning on eating stir-fry for supper) everyone is hungry now so we are eating leftovers for supper
*lights off when not in use
*heat at 66º
*culled old coupons
*not planning on going anywhere, but if we do we will use Christmas money (I need 2 more racks and lots of hangers.)
*Re-vamped budget (dh and I want to get a large debt paid off this year so I re-figured for that.)
*Made list of things we will be needing soon so I can be looking for sales.
*asked neighbor for coupons she is not going to use

·
Registered
942 Posts
12/30
~ home all day except for quick trip to DG for feminine products
it is raining and raining, finally!
~ Heat set at 65
~ eating out of our pantry & freezer, homemade pizza for dinner tonight
~ Reading "Living Well on a Shoestring" that I found at the Library
~ DH is making a batch of Moravian Sugar Cake for breakfasts and snacks this week

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
12/30

We had to take ds & ddil into town to the airport today but before we went we;

~ate leftovers for breakfast
~ate leftovers for lunch
~drank water

We dropped them off and Gripey and I went and perused the after Christmas sales at Penny's and Sears. I got 8 bird ornaments for 70% off and a nutcracker for my collection for 70% off plus a pair of Levi's on sale at Sears. I'm having trouble finding jeans that are long enough all of the sudden. If these aren't a perfect fit, I'll take em back even though they were a good buy.

Tonight it's cord and watching football by the fire. No more money spent, after the trip to the gro. store to stock back up on milk and fruit after the kids were here for a week. We're being very lazy now.......:vibes:

T

·
0 Posts
Sunday, Dec. 30th...

*DH made breakfast instead of stopping for something on the way to or from church
*Went out to eat for lunch, but used two free meal coupons so we paid $3 just for drinks at Qdoba.
*Went to Borders and only got coffee (no books! Woo-hoo!)
*Heat is still off
*Went through my coupon box, seeing what's about to expire..
*Went through DH's closet, will donate some things that don't fit right and found two shirts to mend (missing buttons)
*Dinner was roasted vegetables given to us for Christmas (yummy!)
*Gathered together the items needed for a $10 Rebate

T

·
0 Posts
Forgot to add - DH redeemed all the free "Song of the Day" I-tunes downloaded I had gathered in the fall.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Haven't done a challenge in a long time, but here goes

* Use only one vehicle
* condense all errands
* No eating out
* Continue pantry eating (been doing this for a month)
* Heat no higher than 68
* Figure out Ebay store Profit/loss for taxes
* Work on Christmas notebook

·
Registered
163 Posts
Today12/30 we did:
went to a place like chuckie cheese and had coupons worth 40 free tokens and a free appetizer so the kids and i went there

worked on household notebook
worked on grocery list and menu for the next 2 weeks

Tomorrow 12/31:
Bake a batch of cookies and brownies for snacks this week
attempt to make homemade bread
go to free kids carnival for new years at church
make treat to take to church
laundry
dishes

·
Registered
519 Posts
I've gotta get back with this. The past couple of weeks were really unfrugal for me.

12/30:
-breakfast was waffles and dinner was leftover vegetable soup I had cooked earlier in the week. Did go to McD's for lunch but only spent $6 for 3 people.
-read for entertainment
-DH watched football for entertainment
-kids had friends over for the night...used up lots of leftovers on them
-laundry in cold
-decided we can pay our credit card balance in full without terribly straining our emergency fund or banking account. Will payoff later in the week
-paid bills online

12/31:
-plan on staying home all day except to mail some items from Christmas that need to be returned...will be getting over $100 back
-all meals from home
-ordered books online from the library about frugality. I've read some of them before but I need a refresher!
-working on 2008 budget

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
So far 12/31/2007
*slept late....nothing used when sleeping!
*DH made breakfast, leftover holiday ham, eggs from our chicks and toast
*used stale bread to make breadcrumbs
*planned this weeks menu using what is in the house already
*clipped coupons and "might" make a CVS run for some specials/deals
*freecycled our Christmas tree -no landfill waste and good karma
*loaded car with a few items to take to Goodwill for donations - might make a run there as well...undecided as yet
*putting HM kraut in oven to slow cook.yummy
*thinking about the 2008 budget and determining goals...debt is a no brainer but what else???
*have 4 DVDs rented already so will watch those for entertainment. Much less than going to the movies!

·
Registered
25 Posts
12/31
frankenstein: work from 1030amto730pm (ouch, this is a new shift, with split days off, but he has snacks and will come home for lunch on foot-1 block away)
breakfast:2 quad nonfat lattes made by me (saving me $10 a day because i require 2 to function normally)
breakfast for chunky monkey and toda bear: an orange each, gifted to us for xmas, whole wheat toast with margarine and strawberry jam, apple juice
*snack sometime for kids of cheese and pretzels*
lunch: leftovers for all of us
*juice boxes (bought at $0.75 a packages 4 months ago) carrots, and gogurts (bought at $0.60 a box in august) will get taken with us on errands
dinner:um some sort of chicken......not sure how yet, with rice and brocli, probably a casserole

bus to and from fred meyer to return game, cost will be $2.40 round trip for me and kids, check out clearance clothes, all additional 40% off, need to refill on hats and gloves!
bank so i can have cash (i have a much better idea of where it goes when i use cash because i REALLY have to think "do i want this or do i actually need it?)
walgreens?i can get "free" dimetap stuff for kids....think i even have a coupon for it:)
need to do at home
dishes
laundry
grocery list(work in progress, takes all week to get it just right!)
......mics house pick up....take shiney paper off my LIVE norfolk pine tree
and thats all i know of for now....sorry for posting so big
have a wonderfrugal day
latte:coffee:

·
Registered
460 Posts
12/31

laundry with cold water
no eating out
all meals from pantry/freezer
(did have to go to the grocery to get 7 up for sick, dd and milk, but milk was on sale)
may play board game with kids again tonight for entertainment

To do at home:
laundry
dishes
vaccuming

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
12/31

~all meals from home
~drinking water
~only got sales at grocery store
~lights off
~no using dry for laundry today
~staying home this evening
~making brownies
~reading for entertainment

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
12/31

* Used 1 trip for all errands
* recycled cans for $$
* used that $$ and $2.38 at store to buy:
- 4lb sugar
-Sugar substitute
-Trash Bags
-4lb bag Dog Food
* Cooking turkey given to DH for dinner
* MIL over for dinner (DH Birthday) so she'll bring cake!
* Staying in for New Year's probably watching movies

1 - 20 of 71 Posts