Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's in this week?

Today:
*Ate out, but got a pizza (one for all of us) and took it home so we didn't buy drinks.
*Looking at sale flyers online
*Gave myself a manicure
*Bought gas on $.05 off Sunday
*Ran some numbers on a house we saw that we'd like to look at after doing a "drive by" this afternoon
*Reduced the amount of water for DS's bath
*Did two loads of laundry in cold
*Entered coke codes

·
Registered
870 Posts
I'm in!
Today:
*Used natural light all day...only turned on the lights around 7:30 p.m.!
*Prepared supper mostly with ingrediants on hand, but this kept DH from spending $10 on stuff he wanted for supper!
*Supper yielded leftovers for at least two more meals for DH and me.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Interesting! I'm new here and this could be a lot of fun!

Yesterday,
**I picked up some local freecycle stuff to add to my children's future launching. If I had to put a dollar amount, I would say I got $60 worth of kitchen items (Yard sale price would be around $12)

** On my way home, I stopped at JoAnne Fabrics to see if there were any fantastic sales. There were, but I didn't buy anything because I have plenty at home already. Saved $17.90 of potential purchase of 10 yards of flannel at $1.79/yd. Left it there. That's a hard thing for me to do and it should count for something :-D

** I made 3 dz scratch muffins (banana, oatmeal and apple) to freeze and use for breakfasts. That will save me from buying a fattening muffin at Au Bon Pain each morning. Saving myself $54 ($1.50 x 36 muffins) and a huge amount of calories.

** Left over bananas still! so I baked a banana bread and froze it for company.

** I made breakfast and dinner from what we have. Scrambled eggs, bacon, frozen then toasted bread, a salad for lunch and finally Chicken and broccoli for dinner.

** I made lots of rice crispy treats and froze them all in individual servings. Except for two which DH and I had for dessert. What is the price of store bought ones anyway? Do people really buy them already made?

** Oh! I baked all the muffins, the bread and dinner at the same time so to use the oven only once. According to the Electric company, the savings is pretty m

** I bought the cheapest whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour I could find. Here, a good quality is $.48/pound. I don't know how that compares to others, but I will certainly keep my eye open for steals and deals.

** I didn't go to Starbucks to buy that cup of coffee I really wanted. I fought my urge three times since yesterday (saved $6). I decided that at $2+ a day, not to mention I always end up buying someone else some coffee too... I'm putting away the starbucks card and limiting myself to one visit a week to sit and enjoy a cup of coffee or tea. All the rest of the week will be coffee or tea from home or from the work pot o' joe. Period. Saving me about $20 per week.

I think I may have used more automobile gas that I wanted to.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Today not so frugal

** Taught two aerobics classes - $$ there
** Hit Old Navy sale for baby gift and khaki pants - ended up with 3 onesis, 2 sleepers, one pair of khakis, and two shirts for baby girl for $23.00. Money spent but bargains
** Not frugal - bought Dh lunch out since he does not feel well - Taco Bell - $4.42
** Bought coke at McD's for $1.50

Frugal Happenings Today -
** will bake bread
** will make meal group dinner of chicken caccitore - enough for me to have at least 2 full meals and lunches for the next several days

I need some help guys. I have a bad fountain drink habit. It costs me anywhere from $1.50-$2.00 every day but Sunday. I make it a point not to shop on Sundays. I am going to use you guys to hold me accountable. No more driving through- This habit costs me at least $50.00 a month.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
- bought a bulk pack of ground beef yesterday, so today I made tacos and used the rest for hamburger patties for the freezer for this summer
- lights off most of the day
- no laundry done
- kids shared bath water
- dh took leftovers for lunch
- didn't spend any money other than paying taxes
- walked to let the dogs out, instead of driving
- found out dh has Friday off, so he can go get the used fence then
- made a list for the grocery store based on the sale ad

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Sunday

~DH cooked on the grill so we used no electricity to cook
~Used coupons and ECB's to stock up on some loss leaders and get some free items
~All meals were from home
~Made tea and lemonade to drink

Monday
~took lunches to work/school
~saved all errand running today after work....dropped off DS#3's prescription, returned movie to library, went to the college to turn in my research paper, went to the financial aide office as well to turn in a form for teacher aide exemption (all these places are closed on Sunday, so I had to wait until today).
~Resisted the temptation to purchase dinner on the way home from town...instead DH started it when he got home and I finished it. I called to see if he would and he agreed. WHEW! I was really leaning toward buying something.
~Called cell phone company to have some services dropped or blocked from our phone to save money
~No money spent....even on prescriptions because DS#3's peditrician gave me a card to get the inhaler for DS#3 for free!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Monday, Apr. 14th...

*Took coffee to work, went home for lunch
*Dinner was from the freezer, have some leftovers
*Entering more coke codes

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Well Sunday wasn't so frugal as we drove to two different counties fro soccer games, however we did turn the heat off and it got down to 55 in the house.

Monday
~ ate leftovers for dinner
~ packed kids lunch
~ I ate at work (yuck but its only $1.00)
~ entertained myself at home instead of running out while the boys were at soccer
~ turned the heat back on but it's only set at 58
~ washed in cold
~ washed out baggies
~ used rags instead of paper towels
~ investigated noimpactman's blog on the web for new environmentally friendly frugal stuff

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Oh, and I didn't buy any Diet soda even though I thought about it REALLY hard several times today.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
*laundry in cold
*Bathed dog myself saving groomer fees
*dinner was burgers and oven fires
*extra burger into a casserole for later in the week
*Muffins made for breakfast
*leftover fries topped with cheese for lunch
*no spend day for me
*DH took scrap to the junkyard and netted almost 100.00 for it. Sweet!
*planning to use leftover buns for stuffing tomorrow if I get a minute

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Monday
-lights off except after dark
-all food from home
-carpooled with DH
-got freebies from dad
-laundry in cold.

kellie

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
All lights off unless in room. my house is
dark
everything unplugged that not in use
eating from home
washing in cold water
only burning wood in kitchen stove today
furnace is not on
baking triple recipes to freeze
dinner cooking in crockpot/breadmaker

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
~Took lunches to work/school
~DH fixing a water leak
~Hanging laundry out to dry
~Researching online for frugal meals...since everything keeps going up

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Tues: 4/15 TAX DAY.

I'm ahead of the game today!
$$ Hubby gave me $20 this morning. (separate finances) I was plumb outta cash. This evening I still have the $20! lol!

$$ I discovered a little secret about a rebate that I am qualified for with the gas company. That adds $230.00 in energy credits I think (not sure if it's a rebate check or credit on account).

$$ On my way home from work, I stopped by two houses that were freecycling kitchen and bath items (REALLY nice stuff too!). I will use that to add to my launch the child from the nest collection.

!! On my way I stopped in a Walgreens for a sale on pasta sauce at $.29/8oz can. They had none. They didn't have the receiving blanket I wanted either. Waste of my time. I don't like that.

** We were at work, so no lights on all day! and no TV all day either. It won't get turned on until the 8p show. then off at 9p.

** It was warm enough that the heat did not come on either.

** BF was a frozen banana muffin that I made from scratch over the weekend. Lunch was spinach (it's all I had for greens) and a 3 ounce piece of leftover fish that I froze from a previous meal.
Snack was rice crispy treat I made over the weekend for pennies.
And dinner was cheapo pasta and leftover sauce. Dessert is going to be a fruit bar that I made with leftover juice, strawberries, bananas and berries- then froze them in those popsicle things. (best invention!)

** I'm trying to use the light of the CPM instead of turning on the desk light for as long as possible. lol!

** I resisted the urge for coffee shop coffee (twice! it's gotta count! come-on!)

** I took public transportation in to work. saving me a ton of gas, emissions, and aggravation.

** read some pages of the Tightwad Gazzette III on the way in and out. I swear!!! I'm needing to refresh my frugal ways. (I got out of hand for a while).

** Looked for and found plans to make my very own cloth sanitary napkins. I'm sensitive to the disposable ones.

** Cut out coupons. Offered them to anyone on the board- nobody responded so I'll use a few and send them off to the army base nearby. I probably won't offer them here anymore.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
- laundry in cold, hung up to dry
- lights off most of the day, as well as the heat
- worked in the yard some for exercise
- used a 50% off code to order plants for our flower bed
- used a $10 coupon to order dirt for our flower bed
- washed ziploc baggies
- dinner from scratch
- paid a bill online

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
4/15/08
* found out that I won 30.00 in a raffle
ticket had cost me 20 so profit of 10
* used leftover buns to make HM stuffing. Really good!
*Steamed 3/4 head of cabbage as a side dish. Plan to put the other 1/4 head into
crock pot/freezer leftover soup this week
*dinner then was chicken, stuffing, steamed cabbage and green beans
*used yogurt that was "aging" with some whipped topping for a fruit dip for the week
*recycled coffee grinds
*no driving = no gas
*no spend day
*worked on agility jumps with puppy using jumps made by DH from PCV pipe
*received nice samples in the mail today of baby lotion, face scrubs, pads and personal wipes.
*received free magazines of STAR, Pink and Money for reading pleasure
*trying to find more coupons and samples
*just turned out all the lights in the house again. I need to start really working on this one. Why I am giving my cash to the utility company!
*making a list of all the things I can do right here are home to distract myself from wanting to jump in the car and go someplace
*next week will travel for business so my expenses will be on the company. Will reduce grocery budget for that week but not much else

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
*recycled a 2 liter soda bottle into a scoop to pick up dog litter in the yard. used the bottle itself as a container and tossed the whole thing when filled.
*using up old drink mixes that I have ( ice tea, etc) and what is in the pantry

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Tuesday

~ washed in cold
~ packed kids lunches
~ Dh fixed the lawnmower
~ washed out baggies
~ s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d the chopmeat meatloaf much larger with less meat than usual

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Mawmaw had a a most excellent frugal day!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
- we got approved from the city to put in the fence we are getting second hand
- lights off, heat off
- went for a walk for exercise
- returned library books on time
- combined errands
- dh took leftovers for lunch today
- using up fruit before it goes bad, the kids are eating a lot of it!
- grilled hamburgers for dinner, so didn't use the oven
- made scratch muffins while lunch was in the oven, they were snack tonight and will be breakfast tomorrow

1 - 20 of 36 Posts