Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hope no one minds me starting this week!

*Free food at my aunt's house for the family Easter dinner
*Resisted buying coffee at church
*Using sanitary napkins I got for free
*Using heating pad for cramps instead of Thermacare wraps

·
Registered
163 Posts
So far here's what i have:

Free lunch and dinner from easter at my aunt in laws house
free gas to get there (1hr drive) rode with my mother in law
$20 grocery gift card for reporting rotten fruit when i got home

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Since I've been sick the last three days I've mostly been staying home.
Besides Church yesterday. Cooked my families meal and friends. Packed a dinner plate for grown kids to take home for snack later.
Washed dh's shirts and hung them to dry in bathroom.
Instead of going to doctor so far, been drinking hot tea with lemon and honey. Helps my throat some.
having leftovers tonight for supper.
Told dh to take my vechicle since it was full with gas so he didn't have to fill up until next week. Saved about $40 there.
Keeping blinds open during day and closed at night, turning heat way down at night. Extra blankets on bed.
Using everything in freezer so I can get fresh stuff this summer.

·
Registered
182 Posts
leftover amberjack stew
(using leftover amber jack my husband got from fishing at work on his time off , leftover veggies and leftover soup from my viatmanses beef stew)
Homemade diaper wipes (found recipe yesterday)

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
~Used my CVS card to pick up some free items ..... ECB's (didn't spend any money because I used ECB's to pay for the items)
~Sticking to monthly menu
~Decluttered two rooms today....what a job!! Got rid of three big garbage bags!
~Hanging laundry to dry
~Taking defensive driving to lower insurance and to keep from paying a ticket from my accident. UGH!!!
~Having Sassy, our miniature dachshund, spayed today....saving because she won't be having any more puppies that we will have to take care of in the future
~Using leftover chili for potato topping for dinner
~Drinking water
~DH took lunch to work
~The boys and I are out of school today, so all meals at home for us

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
~Easter dinner and lunch free at MIL
~Keeping heat on low
~using samples HBA products
~sold and mailed a book on half com
~working on menu for the rest of the week. Hope to avoid shopping and eat from pantry/freezer
~Resisted renting movies and watch ones on TV instead or reading for pleasure

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Here's mine:

~ Washing laundry is cold and hang out to dry
~ No going to the store for anything except Milk or Bread
~ Using natural light
~ Opening up window blinds more
~ Using dishwasher when its full only!

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Packed breakfast and lunch today
Dinner is leftovers from dinner yesterday
Staying home tonight
Meal planning for tomorrow

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Monday, April 9th...

*Took lunch and coffee to work today
*Dinner was pasta and spaghetti sauce (very cheap for us - like $.25 per person)
*Went to CVS and used $9 in coupons, saved $8.98 with the card, and got $12.77 ECB's back - spent $16.01 out of pocket. Laundry detergent there is normally $3.49, goes on sale for $1.99 occasionally, and today was 2 for $3.
*Used shampoo and conditioner samples
*Used sanitary napkin samples

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Had Easter Dinner with IL's. (free meal)
Had dd8 b'day at IL, brought home made cake(well cake mix) Savings $14
Brought dd8 to a family movie(all 6 of us) with free movie passes for her b'day. Savings $62
Brought our own snacks in diaperbag(treats from IL for us).
Made supper from leftovers from Easter Dinner.

Good start to the week!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
- washed some ziploc baggies
- wrote an article on easy ways to save money
- hung a load of laundry
- dh had leftovers for lunch today
- used a giftcard at Old Navy to get a couple of summer outfits for dd
- using a giftcard that we got for Christmas to purchase needed items at Home Depot
- combined errands
- leftovers for dinner tonight
- heat at 65

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Computers off all night and all day until a few minutes ago
Heat on 60 until 5:00 pm from last night at 7:00 p.m.
Got free fabric softener sample in the mail
Used 1/2 dryer sheet
used 1/2 laundry soap
Packed breakfast and lunch
made dinner
skipped cappucino at Wawa again!
Turned car off in the bank line to save gas

·
Registered
301 Posts
I pretty much eat for free all the time. The problem I have is staying out of the drive thru's when we leave the house. Today I was good... except my husband bought me the new Cheddar Melt from McDonalds. I wanted to refuse it but I couldn't.

He looks at me with these gorgeous puppy eyes and says, "I know you like grilled onions and this sandwich is only for a limited time."

...how can I say no to that... and it cost money. Damn.

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
Tuesday, April 10th...

*Brought coffee to work this morning
*Dinner at home - cooked extra chicken to make chicken soup later in the week
*DS had HM babyfood for dinner
*Used shampoo and conditioner samples

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Wednesday
i am going to drop of some childrens stuff at the consignment shop and pick up some shorts and tees for DS cause he has NONE in his size.

He also could use some shoes so we will try to go to the nice kids shoe store and pick up some. ( he got 50 from a family friend so im going to put it to good use today)

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Packed breakfast and lunch (getting sick of egg salad, those darn dyed eggs)
Made dinner
Heat off all night and day until 3 p.m.
computers off all night and day until 3 p.m.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Here's mine:

*we recently moved so I am sorting through all of our things to organize the house but also to pull out things to sell on ebay and for the tag sale we will have in may
*heat at 65 degrees
*full loads of laundry and dishes
*leftover Easter dinner for supper and lunches several times this week
*dh is picking up the laundry detergent and tp we need at the store today instead of me going this am - saving gas and probably $100 as I would pick up a "few" more things
*dh also going to library to pick up books and dvds for us and the kids (his lunch hour is very busy today ;) as a snow storm is expected tonight and we may be caught inside for awhile
*packed dd's school lunch instead of hot lunch
*made ABC Muffin Mix and Nonfat Bisquick Mix and then made a batch of muffins as there are no "treats" in the house

·
Registered
590 Posts
Sunday:
*Had easter dinner with family. My contribution was homemade rolls, very well received but also very cheap to make.
*Clipped coupons from previous week that MIL gave me.
*Decided that there weren't any good deals at Walgreens/Rite Aid this week, so I'm skipping that trip (been doing free after rebate deals lately, but I need to stay home more with the price of gas).

Monday:
*Had free leftover ham/turkey for lunch. Ate free leftover cupcakes as snack.
*Took son to doctor for well baby visit, and found out that although my doc doesn't recommend generic formula, he did say it was fine to switch back and forth among the equivalent in the two major brands. Well, the supermarket has been giving me all these buy one get one free formula coupons for the other brand (catalina coupons at the register). Turns out now that I get to use those and save some money! YAY! Good thing I hung onto them. I've got 5 free cans of formula coming my way now....

Tuesday
*Did my last "big grocery shop" hopefully until the end of the month. Used a few coupons, was able to combine store coupons with manufacturer's coupons (Target allows this in their coupon policy) and got a few things for very cheap. Namely, Thomas English Muffins (.89) and Apple Chips (about .80 a box).
*Laundry washed in cold water.

Wednesday
*Okay, it's debatable about if this is truly frugal or not, but The Children's Place online is having an awesome clearance right now - tons of stuff for 4.99 and under. I shopped. I spent $80 for 17 items (this did include a 20% coupon that I used, found online), shipped. I refrained from buying for the little one, so I get points for that, right? (I have two boys. Little one is covered up in hand-me-downs and yard sale finds, he's good for a couple years, I think. But the older one, I have trouble finding him good stuff at yard sales now that he's a toddler..seems the bigger they get, the slower they grow, and kids really tend to be rough on clothing. I'm SO rambling, trying to defend my purchase. LOL.)
*My husband bought us a new microwave to replace the one that caught on fire the day before. No, I'm not kidding. I am glad I was standing right in front of it (sans baby in arms) so I could turn it off quickly when the flames broke out. Ugh. New microwave ranks higher on the frugality scale than a trip to the emergency room, I guess.

Thursday
*Went to a grocery store I almost never go to today, got cheap baby food for the little one who's still learning how to actually swallow it (poor guy, he's wasteful but I forgive him since he's so cute) and got some taco kits for .80 each.
*No exploding appliances today

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Heat off all night and day until 5:00 p.m.
computers off until 3:00 and 8:00 p.m.
Packed breakfast
Lunch was salad bar from Acme, but I saved on the weight of dressing since I have my own bottle at the office
Used BOGO at Payless to buy DD18 sandals for her senior trip, but got DD5 the High School Musical flip flops that she had to have for $4.00, lol

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
- made homemade maple syrup
- made homemade muffins to go with dinner
- washed some ziploc baggies
- heat at 65
- used a coupon for a free haircut today for myself and only had to pay tip
- returned library books on time, to avoid fines
- used cloth napkins
- am refusing to go to Sams club this pay period, as I always overspend there
- made a grocery list for the 2 stores I will shop at this weekend