Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 5 kids- ages 22 down to 9 all at home.
one just grad college and is living at home while paying down his loans although i expect as soon as his friends who grad in dec get FT jobs he will move out with one of both of them . He lived away when in college by his choice .

one works PT and pays for her own community college - no loans .

other 3 HS age and under .

what do you find are the hurdles- challenges you come upon having a larger family and how do you over come them .
$ wise- space wise- organizational wise - time wise etc

I am currently working PT as a hoem care RN around teh kids schedules- but i have been a SAHM and a WAHM in the past .

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Hmmm, well obviously the more people you're taking care of the further you have to stretch. I think our biggest hurdle is probably food. I've got big eaters, dh and kids take lunches and I and the three youngest are home all day. It adds up but I know it's ultimately cheaper than eating at work or school. We've got all 7 kids here (oldest commutes to college). Second would be transportation. We live in a rural county and the high school and grocery shopping are 20 miles away. So, dh has a car to go to work. I have the big van. DD has a $4000 used car and ds 16 has a $2000 used pick up. The high schooler having a vehicle actually helps me. If he is staying after school for a project or a club (which are free) It saves me an hour running to get him at supper time. He doesn't drive every day of course. DD 18 works and pays for her own gas but since she's paying for college expenses/personal expenses and gas with her own money dh and I keep her on our car insurance.
I haven't found clothes to be a problem. We have been given lots of stuff for the younger kids. My older boys (16&15) are blue jeans and t-shirt/sweatshirt kids. They are happy with the basics. I do make them take care of their shoes since there don't seem to be any cheap shoes anymore. Oldest ds wears a 14 which pretty much limits your choices and I wear a ladies 11 which aren't cheap either. That's all that comes to mind right now.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hmmm, well obviously the more people you're taking care of the further you have to stretch. I think our biggest hurdle is probably food. I've got big eaters, dh and kids take lunches and I and the three youngest are home all day. It adds up but I know it's ultimately cheaper than eating at work or school. We've got all 7 kids here (oldest commutes to college). Second would be transportation. We live in a rural county and the high school and grocery shopping are 20 miles away. So, dh has a car to go to work. I have the big van.
We also have seven kids and these are our biggest expenses also. Three of the kids have very wide feet, so buying shoes for them is more expensive.

Oldest dd is autistic with some other health problems as well, so our medical expenditures are higher, but that would be true even if she were an only child.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Right now, I find food a challenge. Our food costs are much more now than where we used to live (about double). We have special diet requirements so it's difficult. The second would be organization. We downsized houses and added 2children. We are slowly fitting into the house, but in the meantime our lack of organization has cost.

·
Registered
708 Posts
awe....I love babies and kids of course..

my oldest is almost 22 and my youngest is turning 10 in may...can we say boo hoo sob sob...it breaks my heart that they are growing up and don't need me that much anymore... I don't know what to do with myself...I sometimes think it's time to have another one...I am 40 and if i got pregnant quickly all would be well i seriously believe..i am pretty much healthy...my sister in law had her last baby at 42 and he was fine not that all cases are like this but i believe that if it were to happen that everything would turn out fine...but then i think...I love sleeping all night...I love sleeping in on the weekends...I sort of like the freedom i get when going into a grocery store and not having to chase babies around...but i still have that yearning of wanting snuggles etc...oh well the point of my story is I admire all of you that have large familes and that can make it work...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts