Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I love dark chocolate as a treat. A piece after dinner, a piece with a cup of coffee/tea while I read, etc. Dark chocolate, however, is not frugal and I don't like sugary milk chocolate. Any ideas on getting some more frugal dark chocolate? It's not something I typically see in bulk, at discount stores, on sale, etc. I've never used baking chocolate and am guessing it might be cheaper--does it taste good to just eat?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Baking Chocolate has NO sugar. It is bitter tasting as is. :surprise: It's used in baking, etc.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
WOW! acidcookie, if you can eat baking chocolate then you truly are a dark choclate lover! :laugh:

I usually buy it from the grocery store/walmart etc. I buy the LINDT 70% cocoa squares. Its not cheap, you're right but for me its a treat....On average I eat 3 pcs a wk max? So for me it works....have you checked Costco/Sams to see if they sell the dark in bulk? I know Lindt does make an 85% dark chocolate but to me thats a bit much, thats on the edge of eating baking chocolate! :laugh:

I broke down and bought the Cadbury DARK mini eggs - YUMMY! I eat 3 after lunch and Im satiated. WOW. They're still sitting in my desk...prob wont touch it again till Wed. :angel2:

Definately let us know if you find a good spot to buy dark choc in bulk! Can always use a deal if I can find it!

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I am a dark chocolate freak! Let me tell you dont go cheap on this, The expression is "Good shi* aint cheap, and cheap shi* aint good". The onl way to make cheaper chocolate is to add wax.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Aldi has 70% gourmet dark chocolate. They come in a 5 bar pkg for under $2.00 I buy them every week. They are very good.

·
Registered
388 Posts
DOVE!!!

I love Dove dark chocolate! I much prefer dark chocolate to milk chocolate (as all TRUE chocoholics do!!!), and I think Dove tastes pretty good for the money.

·
8,714 Posts
~Ghiradelli dark bars often go on sale here for $1.50 a bar. VERY yummy! Dove Dark is very yummy too, but slightly sweeter. I don't really care for Lindt brand chocolate. It tastes very bland to me. And Hershey's Dark is too sweet and somehow bitter and burnt tasting.Another thing you might want to check into if you like Godiva chocolates(their dark truffles and ganaches are F A B U L O U S!!!) is online clearance after holidays. I can't wait for their after Easter sale when I'll be able to get my favorites at 50% off! I eat one piece or less a day and I think you know this but, the better quality the chocolate is, the less of it will take to make you feel satisfied. Don't buy baking chocolate! You'll be disappointed!~

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
I would stalk the sales after big candy holidays---i.e. halloween, easter, christmas. It'll be marked down then.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I love the stuff too. Ritter Sport is one of my favorites with macadamia nuts.
Longs Drugs have them for 2.00. Not cheap, but cheaper than Trader Joes.

·
Registered
674 Posts
If you check the Kmart flyer this week Hershey has dark chocolate. It says it is natural and they give a little bit of background on the benefits of eating dark chocolate.

I hope you have a Kmart near you.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I have been known to pay as much as $7.00 for a gourmet chocolate bar, and then eat just a small piece at a time - kind of like buying a 10 pack of snack size Snickers or something like that. I've found that a small piece of very good dark chocolate is at LEAST as satisfying as a larger serving of mediocre chocolate, and if I use it like that then it IS frugal. - probably healthier too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts