Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imagine this scenario: Mom dresses up her 18-month old son in a "new" outfit, then takes him into the living room to show him to Dad. She says, "Guess how much this outfit cost?!" Dad guesses at least $15.00. "Nope", says Mom, "It cost 50 cents! I bought it this morning at a garage sale!" Dad is very impressed--because it looks brand new and it's a popular name brand.

This is a true story--it happened in my daughter's house. I call her the Garage Sale Queen of Texas! She loves to dress her children in name-brand, beautiful clothing, but they grow so fast, full-price is too much to pay.

You, too, can be a garage sale Queen--
it just takes a little time and a bit of know-how.

Don't be afraid to bargain. Most times, people will take a lower price, just to make sure they get rid of an item.

And,if you don't have children to dress, there are lots of other things that can be found at bargain prices. Or how about this, go out and look for wonderful coats or even toys and donate them to a local children's home.

Many sales will have brand new toys and games in the box at a greatly reduced price. If the boxes are not sealed, always be sure to check carefully and make sure all the pieces are included.

Does your family love to work jigsaw puzzles? New puzzles can be pretty pricey--so just visit the yard sales. I've bought puzzles for as little as 50 cents and very seldom have I bought one that had any pieces missing.

"One man's trash is another man's treasure" is certainly true at yard sales. Some people just do not have the imagination to see the many uses for different items. Money-saving opportunities abound for those who are able to see potential in unlikely objects.

Helping you live the good life...on a budget! Cyndi Roberts is the editor of "1 Frugal Friend 2 Another" bi-weekly newsletter, bringing you creative, practical tips to help you with budgeting, cooking, shopping, parenting and much more! To subscribe visit the "1 Frugal Friend 2 Another" website at http://www.cynroberts.com

·
Registered
339 Posts
This is the absolute truth! My kids...heck even DH and I!...would be naked if not for garage sales, LOL. Well, maybe not NAKED, but you get the idea. I have less than 5 clothing items (other than underwear of course) that I actually bought new. Our kids get new stuff for Christmas and birthdays from grandma, but other than that it is garage sales and thrift stores all the way:)

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Occasionally I buy something new for me. For example, I bought myself a Lands' End swimsuit last year...and since I'm even heavier this year, I treated myself to ANOTHER one.

But generally, if it's a choice between a $1 garage sale sweater and a $40 or $50 sweater in a shop -- I'll go for the garage sale.

Sometimes I'll buy new clothes for the kids when I find a great deal (like the Lands' End down coats earlier this year. For $15). But DH buys almost all of his clothes new.

I have a little local thrift store that has monthly $5/bag sales. I have found great sweaters and even some skirts that fit me. Often name brands too. Once I found a (somewhat beat up) coach purse there -- for $3.

So, I'll keep enjoying the hunt through thrift stores. While DH spends $200 once or twice a year at Lands' End. Of course, he has a work wardrobe to maintain, while I don't.

(In his defense , he doesn't change sizes often. And his Lands' End clothes wear like iron. He had one squall jacket that he wore all winter long for 14 years. Then the zipper gave out. We phoned to ask about a repair -- and Lands' End actually offered to replace the jacket! After he'd worn it for 14 YEARS! We didn't take them up on it though -- DH didn't like the new style.)

Anyway, 2nd hand clothes shopping is a real money saver!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts