Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there such a thing? Michaels sell the glycerin soap base 2 pounds for $16! The most we can sell finished soap for is $3 for small bar and $5 for large. I'm thinking there's no profit in making our own glycerin soap. Am I right? Or is there a way to make my own glycerin soap base cheaper?

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Never mind, answered my own question. We bought the supplies and some molds yesterday. It cost $18 (if you include taxes) for the soap. And $6 for the coloring. We had the scent already. You only use a drop of the coloring for every small soap bar. So I'm considering the cost negligible.

Out of $18 of soap I managed 12 bars of soap - 7 small and 5 large. So it is doable and profitable. So if we charge $2.50 for the small and $4.00 for the large (which are twice the amount of soap) we'll earn $37.50. Yep, worth doing. :)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Check for 40% coupons at Michael's as long as the item is not on sale it would work. That would mean if the regular price for the soap base is $16, then with the coupon it would only be $9.60 plus tax, making it even more profitable!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Thanks for your post--I have been toying with the soap thing for a while and you just made my mind up !!

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I had to remelt a few bars and actually have 14 bars of soap now.

We scoured our papers for a Michaels coupon and couldn't find one this week! So we bit the bullet and paid.

Here's the finished product...

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Nice, my sister used to do this and make baskets. She also made natural lotions and beeswax candles with some special wick. She made a bunch of money with these...especially the candles. Didn't put out black smoke..can't remember the details. She put the stuff in Salons and such on consignment

Reactions: peanut

·
4,028 Posts
They look great! Have you checked Michaels online to see if they have a printable coupon?

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just updating to let you all know I also made some unscented opaque glycerin soap (with moisturizer). Got 8 small bars and 5 large. It was the same price for the soap base, but no added scent or colouring. Even cheaper. :)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
The $Tree sells "Pell" glycerin soap for of course a dollar. A brand of soap that's been around for awhile & a favorite of many. If my store has it, I stock up. I love glycerin soap & it doesn't make me itch.
Congrats on making your own!! :)

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the heads up Ali Lee. We don't have DollarTree locally. But we do have a Dollarama. I'll have to take a look and see... If we sold it at $1 a bar we wouldn't be covering costs.

·
4,028 Posts
beautiful!

Our Renaissance Festival has a glycerin soap stand that lets kids put a plastic toy of their choice into a paper cup then pours glycerin over and lets it harden. The kids I have been with are over thrilled with it and has the toy out by their second bath. :)

Bugs or dinosaurs in soap might be a new market to explore as parents are always seeking ways to tempt their kids into the bath. LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts