Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am hoping to find a friend or two in Mass who doesn't care about owning a Lexus and who gets excited when they discover a new way to create a fantastic meal out of leftovers.

:tay:

Kerri

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
:welcome3:

There are several of us on the boards from MA. :)

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Hi there and :welcome:

·
Registered
586 Posts
I'm southern mass. Welcome! I drive a basic 2004 dodge caravan with a hard driven 120,000 miles on it, which is about as far removed from a Lexus as one can get.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, wow, who knew! This is great! Thank you for the welcome - nice to meet all of you!

My comment about the Lexus was to make light of the cars in the parking lot where I work. LOTS of Lexus! I get along great with people at work, but I keep my frugality to myself much of the time.

Thanks again for the welcome!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I live near Boston.

Where are good places to save on groceries in Boston area?

Suggestions anyone?

One's I know are ...
* CMart in Chinatown, on Washington Street, near Harrison Ave. Low prices on a lot of foods. Rice used to be low price, but now it is more expensive than 20 pounds bags from S&S or Shaws ... very odd.

* Lambert's on Route 1 in Westwood/Norwood ... low prices on fruit and veggies ... and ask for 10% off the order and they will give it to you. True. lol

*Trader Joe's and Whole Foods Market. Good prices on many Vegetarian foods and stuff like Flax Seed. Whole foods has bulk bins sections for low prices on grains and other bulk foods.

*Ocean State Lots used to have some good prices on some foods, but now everything in that store seems way overpriced to me!

Sometimes I use peapod.com to check out best unit prices on S&S grocery items, since the site makes it very easy to sort a category by unit prices to find the best buy ... and then drive down and buy whatever from S&S.

·
Registered
291 Posts
:wave: Hello ~

I live in MA too!

I live on the South Shore.

Sue

·
Registered
157 Posts
I live in MA too, just north of the city.

As for saving money on food, two words:

MARKET BASKET!

I agree with the person who said that Ocean State Job Lot is getting overpriced. Hubby and I were just there today. However, we made a new cheap discovery: Savers. It's kinda like a Marshalls (only cheaper) mixed with yard sale goods. And Halloween costumes. Really worth checking out if you're near Danvers. It's in Endicott Plaza, just down the strip from the Job Lot.

ETA: We have a 98 Corolla with 135,000 miles and a slightly dented bumper. Hubby has a 95 Volvo with 120,000 and no airbags. But that's a temporary thing. We're going back to one car as soon as he graduates from business school. No Lexus here.....

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Not Mass here, but southern NH. I second what someone said about Market Basket. We love that place!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hi all!

I'm from Bridgewater. Market Basket in Raynham is the cheapest place around here for groceries. I must say though, that I get great deals from the loss leaders at Roche Bros and other places around here as well.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Welcome and yes, Market Basket is where "you get more for your dollar" (their slogan). I shop there as well as lost leaders at: Roche Bros, Stop & shop, Shaw's and Big Y. I also LOVE Whole Foods, Trader Joes and Hannaford. I live in Bristol County near Rhode Island.
Oh, my average car age of ownership is 8 years and 180k miles. I traded in my Saturn in 05 with 178k and dh just traded in his 2nd mazda with ~230k miles to buy his 3rd mazda.
I garden, cook from scratch, hang my laundry, wash out baggies and do not turn up the heat during the winter above 64.
Most of the people I work with would think I was weird for doing most of those things. Some even think it's weird if I make something that has natural or organic ingredients...they look at me as if I scraped dirt from my garden and mixed it in a cake! :LOL:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I live South of Boston and instead of Lexus, my parking lot is full of BMW's! I can always find my minivan!

I do a lot of shopping at Roxies - okay it smells like a slaughter house but they have great prices on chicken.

Hilltop for steak and pork and deli meats.

A great place for bread - Freidelhoffer Outlet in Wareham (Cranberry Highway) which also sells Weight Watcher, Thomas and Arnold products. Awesome for those like myself who have children that I pack lunches for and go through at least two loaves a week. $1.79 or less for a loaf. I know making it would be cheaper but I don't have the time!

To entice you to take a ride to Wareham, they just opened up a huge Salvation Army store where I outfitted my son with brand new tees for the fall - I got probably 9 shirts mostly Gap for $18.

Loss leaders and 10 for 10's are my best friends.

I heard Market Basket is awesome - I need to take a ride!

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Hiya from northern Mass (some where between the Burlington Mall and the Pheasant Lane) Market Basket is ALL we have in my town... we're so blessed we have 3 of them :lol: There are days I wish there was something else here, just to shake things up a bit.

We don't have a Lexus... but we do have a Volvo... okay, okay, it's a 1991 Volvo. We also have my 'baby bmw', a Kia Rio Lx. It really does look like one.

Where in MA are you?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I live South of Boston and instead of Lexus, my parking lot is full of BMW's! I can always find my minivan!

I do a lot of shopping at Roxies - okay it smells like a slaughter house but they have great prices on chicken.

Hilltop for steak and pork and deli meats.

A great place for bread - Freidelhoffer Outlet in Wareham (Cranberry Highway) which also sells Weight Watcher, Thomas and Arnold products. Awesome for those like myself who have children that I pack lunches for and go through at least two loaves a week. $1.79 or less for a loaf. I know making it would be cheaper but I don't have the time!

To entice you to take a ride to Wareham, they just opened up a huge Salvation Army store where I outfitted my son with brand new tees for the fall - I got probably 9 shirts mostly Gap for $18.

Loss leaders and 10 for 10's are my best friends.

I heard Market Basket is awesome - I need to take a ride!
Thanks for the info on the Salvation Army store. I have been trying to plan a trip to Wareham for the bread outlets but with gas and all.
I also go to the bread outlet in Plymouth. It's a country kitchen store and it's a hit or miss there. Is the Hilltop still there? The last time I rode by I noticed that something else was there. A car dealership?? Maybe???
I too live on the South Shore.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts