Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a tip I like to use, when I think about it. When I have something with gravy left over, I freeze the gravy until I have enough to add to something. Example: tomato sauces get saved for inclusion into spaghetti sauce. Beef gravy gets saved for hot hamburger sandwiches. Chicken gravy gets mixed with beef gravy for extra flavor on meatloaf or something.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I do that all the time and it is great! :)

·
19,119 Posts
mahalo, never thought of doing that.

Question: What do you store your leftovers in? One thing I always freeze is the chicken liver in the whole chickens. I store them in small bags, but then I cannot find them in the freezer. Need ideas on this on please.

·
2,688 Posts
Leftovers......store them in a one big ziplock freezer bag, keep adding to the same bag.
I did something similiar when I froze pumpkins. Used cheap plastic bags and measured off in one cup per bag. Then put the cheap bags into one big ziploc bag. So they got double bagged :)

I use wide month pints in the freezer for a few leftovers. I leave room for expansion and then let the contents freeze and then put the lid on . I use a baggie for a cover till it freezes. Put somewhere, where the glass won't get bumped or dropped. Nice thing about wide months is that it comes out of the jar quicker.

I used to freeze leftover veggies into a big bag or a plastic container for a soup but that does not impress the hubby much. So now I freeze in little plastic containers after a meal, and when I have several, for example , corn, I combine them, and reheat them. Anything leftover on the second heating, does get the heave ho.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mauimagic...I use freezer bags that have the white area on it that you can write on. I also use an odd shaped/colored container for this, as well. What I do with the container is put a piece of plastic wrap over the top before I put the lid on. Most reused containers don't have that great of a seal on them and this helps. On top of the plastic, I put a scrap piece of paper with the items and date on it. Then I put the lid on. I've learned to do this because I wanted soup and got beef and gravy one time. LOL!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts