Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Ladies,
With the kiddos being out of school for the summer (and grandkids and company visiting for some of us), I thought it might be fun to have a Frugal Meal Challenge! Ok, this is also a very sly ploy to get all your wonderful ideas to help me out here! :laugh:
So...what are your best frugal meal ideas focusing at this time on what will be cheap and plentiful for this late Spring and Summer season?

Mine:
Pasta Salads or green salad from the garden
Grilled pototoes, zuchinni and other vegis
Grilled hamburgers or sausages
Homemade ice cream

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Its not a meal, but I take advantage of all of the fruit, especially things like peaches and apricots that are too ripe and are sold really cheap. I make jelly out of them...mmm

During the summer our family eats lots of tuna, it si very healthy and doesn't require the stove, I also love salad and grilled meats.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Robin,
I do the same thing with over ripe fruit! We had apricot jam for years that I made and it was delicious. I'm thinking abour doing some strawberry and blueberry with all the extra frozen berries I have in the freezer right now. Just need to find a good deal on sugar!:D

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Another group I belong to is doing a challenge, where we come up with meals for 4 people that cost $3, $2 and $1 total. The meal must include a complete protein, a starch, a veggie , fruit , drinks and a dessert. Here was my plan from last week (haven't gotten this week's done yet) I used the fruit as dessert. Most of the ladies are using water as the drink.

It's too easy if I use my homegrown/home canned stuff. I can do
meals for free that way. Example:

Ground rabbit patties
green beans
boiled potatoes with parsley
cattail flour biscuits with strawberries
pineneedle tea sweetened with either honey or sorgham

So- I went to the store last night to see what I could come up with
for those who don't have access to free meats, gardens and so on.

I got chicken leg quarters-for .19/lb! (You have to purchase 10 lb
bag though.) Ground turkey for .49/lb. Ham for .89/lb. Ground
beef for .99/lb.

So: My $1.00 total meal would include.

Fried rice with chicken leg quarters ( rice .04- purchased
at .39/lb: chicken .38: canned mixed veggies .20:)

sweetened tea (.20 for tea bags, .05 sugar)

Broiled bananas for dessert - )purchased at .25/lb) .12

Total for dinner for 4: .99

My $2.00 meal would included:

Turkey burgers (use the entire pound and make 1/4 lb burgers).49
buns (8 for .39 at Aldi) .20
creamed peas- .20 for peas, .20 for homemade white sauce
strawberry shortcake for dessert- homemade biscuits .25,
strawberries, .50
lemon water for beverage .15

Total for 4: 2.00

$3.00 meal- this is easy once you've done the other 2!

Ham slices .89
mashed potatoes/gravy - 1lb potatoes (purchased at 10lb./2.99) .29,
homemade gravy .25
cabbage slices with dressing use 1/2 lb.(cabbage at .49/lb) homemade
dressing .20
tea- .25
watermelon for dessert (purchased at 2.99 for a whole watermelon)
we'll serve 1/3- 1.00

Total : $2.88 for 4

Denise- who used actual sale prices this week at my local stores. If
I purchased all these items at actual lowest prices, I could reduce
most of these meals (probably not the $1/ meal, cause that's as low
as I ever get chicken unless I butcher my own)

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Wow, Denise now that is inspiring!!! I hope you teach Lori lots of that stuff so she can teach me!

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Wow ! Denise that not only sounds frugal but interesting...... That is so resourceful ! I'm impressed !!!!!!!!!!!
Please tell me what pineneedle tea is ................

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
PIneneedle tea is just that- you take a handful of clean pine needles and steep them in boiling water- strain, sweeten and drink. It's supposed to be high in Vit. C

It's rather bitter, so I almost always sweeten mine. (my Native American grandmother used to make this quite a bit)

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
What about chipped beef on toast? I'm not good at calculating prices, but this is a fairly cheap meal that can really stretch.:)

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Here's my meals for this week's challenge

Poached eggs (each egg 6.5 cents) - .26
toast (homemade bread at .24 loaf, 12 slices/loaf)- .08- butter, .10 (probably less)
spinach - .20 (free if you garden)
lemon water- .05
cinnamon applesauce for dessert - .25

Total meal- .94

Chicken/veggie stir fry- (chicken breast .88/lb - brocolli .89/lb , use 1/2 lb) 1.33
rice - .10
strawberries - 1 lb, sliced .75
sweetened tea .25

total for meal- $2.43 - + some for assorted spices, less than $3.00 for meal

Egg drop soup ( chicken broth free from boiling previous night's chicken bones - 4 eggs,) .26
fried potato skins with cheese - skins are free from a previous meal, or saving potatoes for tomorrow night, 4 oz. cheese. 65
mixed veggies .20
watermelon slices for dessert (watermelon is $3.29, we'll serve 1/8) - .41
sweetened tea .25

total for meal- $1.77 + some for oil to fry the potato skins

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Denise, you are not only a frugal meal expert but your family is eating very well.... Those meals sound delicious !!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
We make breakfast for dinner regularly. I can make pancakes, eggs, fruit and milk for about $1.75 for the four of us. Also, when I get eggs as a loss leader, I can make omelettes (Denver, so veggies are in it), hash browns and toast for about $1.50. For $2.00, I make grilled chicken, potato salad, a nice veggie and regular salad. We hardly even hit the $3.00 mark, but I can make pork chops, mashed potatoes and salad for that!

I like to make chef's salads when it's really hot out. I can make HUGE ones for th efour of us for about $3.00.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I wish I could make dinner that cheap for my family! I am really stuck to buying food at ONE store here, and it is so overpriced. I mean, I cant even buy ONE POUND OF GROUND MEAT for less than 1.89! I cant wait to get back to the states where I have CHOICES! (I am in Europe, I really dont trust buying meat here!)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I haven't time to calculate price per serving here right now, but I will list some of my most frugal meals.

Hamburger gravy over homemade biscuits and veggie
Red beans and rice
Fried Rice
Spaghetti - the old standby
Chili and corn bread - have chili stuffed baked potatoes the next day
Chicken and noodles
Turkey - freeze the leftover meat and use the carcass to make a turkey soup
* use leftover turkey in place of chicken in any recipe I buy it at 89 cents/lb
Pasta salad with veggies and bits of chicken in it Serve with crusty bread
Tuna casserole
Tortillia soup
Turkey and Rice skillet
Shepard's Pie
Quesadillias

·
Registered
652 Posts
I really like all these meals, the problem is finding the sales like that today i did get chicken legs and thighs for .19cents a lb buying 10lbs, but I am not sure where to get rest of the sale prices. I will be going to one store tommorow morning early and checking out the mark down meat prices that is the only way i can find really cheap meat....i am going to post my menu for this week later as soon as i get all the meals planned around sales coupons and my pantry... we shall see how cheap I can go, last nights meal only cost $1.50 per person this was our meal(this is for 9 people)
Steak (bought marked down $5.69)
Baked pototoes(bought on sale 10lbs for $2.69)
Salad (88 cents for a bag)
Yeast rolls ($1.88 for a bag of 24 I used 12)
then butter, sourcream, salad dressing, cheese, bacon ect
Dh figured it all out and it came to less then $1.50 per person for everything and I still had left overs so I didn't figure that was to bad. will post my new menu as soon as i get it done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts